Aldeer.com

Handload's This Season

Posted By: Standbanger

Handload's This Season - 02/12/18 05:23 PM

How did yours perform?

First deer I shot with my 6.5 CM was with the Hornady Pro Hunter 143 gn ELDX the deer runn-oft into canes and briars.

deer 2-6 with my handloaded 130 gn Berger VLD with 43 gr. of H4350 all DRT
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/12/18 06:51 PM

I didn't get to try out my reloads this year. I got to try one out last year, though. It done well.
I've got 3 that I would like to try out. Guess it'll take me a few years to get them all tested.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/12/18 07:07 PM

All of the deer have been shot in Alabama so I didn't get to test any bullets. eek
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/12/18 08:33 PM

Of the three I killed this year, just one was with a handload. 150gr SST out of a .308. Hit a good sized doe behind the shoulder, complete pass through and took out both lungs. I have used this bullet for years and never had a problem, I swap up between it and a 150 Nosler BT just depending what I have on the shelf.

Killed another with a 150gr Partition out of a 280. Hit her a little high and back but she didn't move. Last kill was a 90# doe with a BAR 243, 100gr Hornady BTSP. Heart shot, took about three steps and piled up.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/12/18 09:24 PM

I can't remember when I last killed a deer with factory ammo. Had to be sometime in the early 70s.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/12/18 10:24 PM

Mine did great with the one 8 point I shot. Was shooting my 7 mag with handloaded 140 accubonds. He fell right where he was standing. Have shot several deer over the last 4 years with this combo and have been really happy with it. Just bought a model 70 extreme weather in 7mm-08 a few weeks ago and am looking forward to seeing how the 140 accubond performs out of it.
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/13/18 02:38 AM

My did great as well. I got a 85 lb doe with a 63gr sierra semi-point out of my 222 Rem. Ran 50 yards with nothing in her chest but a chunky red soup.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/13/18 11:14 AM

Never have any issues with my reloads. Killed 2 with the rifle this year. 1st with a 7'08 using 140 gr gamekings, ran about 20 yards and piled up. 2nd was from a 308 shooting a 150 gr interlock, fell where it stood. Also killed a hog and a coyote with that same 308. Took the top of the hogs skull off and disemboweled the coyote.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/13/18 01:44 PM

Son killed a nice buck with his 7-08 and hand loaded 120 barnes. Neck shot and he dropped

I shot 3 hogs with my 300 wsm and hand loaded 150 barnes. They never knew what hit em
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/13/18 07:24 PM

performed flawlessly as they always do. The only deer I killed was with my 25-06 hand loads.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/14/18 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by fladeerhntr
Mine did great with the one 8 point I shot. Was shooting my 7 mag with handloaded 140 accubonds. He fell right where he was standing. Have shot several deer over the last 4 years with this combo and have been really happy with it. Just bought a model 70 extreme weather in 7mm-08 a few weeks ago and am looking forward to seeing how the 140 accubond performs out of it.
I bet that action on the model 70 extreme weather is smooth as silk. I have had my eye on one that is a .308.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/14/18 12:14 AM

Back to the thread.... No handloads this year for the first time since 1992.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/14/18 01:41 AM

I only killed one with rifle this year but I've killed a bunch in the last decade with 165 gr ttsx/ tsx 56gr H4350 out of 30-06. straight poison ! I'm fixing to start working up a tsx load in 223 for my ar . Hopefully split a few pig's wigs.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/14/18 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by olemossy
Originally Posted by fladeerhntr
I bet that action on the model 70 extreme weather is smooth as silk. I have had my eye on one that is a .308.

It is definently the smoothest action I have ever seen. The only thing I've got that is pretty close is a model 700 BDL in 243 that was bought back around year 2000. If I were you and I'd found one in 308 for a good price I wouldn't hesitate buying it.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/21/18 02:50 PM

160 grain Sierra in 7mm Mag over H-1000 running just north of 3,050fps.

I waited until he stepped out in the road and shot him dead where he was standing so I could just pick him up on the way out with the Ranger. Entered through the shoulder broke that side continued on through and broke the exit side shoulder/leg with about a 50 cent piece side exit hole. Blew the whole undercarriage right out from under him. Dead where he was standing.

No bonded bullet necessary.

Posted By: Jotjackson

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/21/18 03:19 PM

7mm08- 139 Gn Hornady SST pushed by 39 grains of Varget powder. I have used this load for several years with success. TC Encore, Browning A-Bolt, Ruger American rifles. All shoot 1/2 - 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Works for me.

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/21/18 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jotjackson
7mm08- 139 Gn Hornady SST pushed by 39 grains of Varget powder. I have used this load for several years with success. TC Encore, Browning A-Bolt, Ruger American rifles. All shoot 1/2 - 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Works for me.

39gr? That’s 2 grains under starting load. I’m sure it is a cream puff to shoot. Any particular reason for the light load? No hating just curious. Sure it would be a great load for recoil sensitive shooters.

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/21/18 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

I waited until he stepped out in the road and shot him dead where he was standing so I could just pick him up on the way out with the Ranger. Entered through the shoulder broke that side continued on through and broke the exit side shoulder/leg with about a 50 cent piece side exit hole. Blew the whole undercarriage right out from under him. Dead where he was standing.

Sierra GK's are often overlooked because they are not modern bonded plastic tip bullets. But they will shred a deers innards, and deliver some of the fastest kills. DRT And not even a few legs kicks. I use a 180 grain GK in one of my 300 win magnums at 3050 FPS and deer do not walk away.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/22/18 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by !shiloh!
I'm fixing to start working up a tsx load in 223 for my ar . Hopefully split a few pig's wigs.

Thinking the same thing. Keep us updated.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/22/18 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

Sierra GK's are often overlooked because they are not modern bonded plastic tip bullets. But they will shred a deers innards, and deliver some of the fastest kills. DRT And not even a few legs kicks. I use a 180 grain GK in one of my 300 win magnums at 3050 FPS and deer do not walk away.

No joke I shoot the same in .300 WBY. I've just never had all these problems with a pass through such as others seem to have... and I've never shot a lot of bonded bullets at Whitetails. I'm just shooting Sierra's most of the time.

I read all these posts on every forum on the internet about needing bonded bullets, etc. Sometimes they have me even second guessing myself and I think I should go work up a better load with a Partition or something. Then I shoot a deer and blow the whole front undercarriage out from under it and I'm sitting there dressing it thinking how could everyone else be having the issues they are having?

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/22/18 04:50 PM

I'm right there with you Goat. When the interbond came out some years ago, I switched to them in 308. Every deer I shot with them ran like hell and left no blood. I think it's simply too tough of a bullet for deer. Elk probably not.

Re: Handload's This Season - 02/22/18 07:14 PM

No joke I shoot the same in .300 WBY. I've just never had all these problems with a pass through such as others seem to have... and I've never shot a lot of bonded bullets at Whitetails. I'm just shooting Sierra's most of the time.

I read all these posts on every forum on the internet about needing bonded bullets, etc. Sometimes they have me even second guessing myself and I think I should go work up a better load with a Partition or something. Then I shoot a deer and blow the whole front undercarriage out from under it and I'm sitting there dressing it thinking how could everyone else be having the issues they are having?

I use Sierra in 3 of my guns, and tried loads I a couple more that didn't shoot as well. I use many different types, including bonded and partition bullets. The partitions are excellent but not necessary for whitetail deer, and their pricey so I'm only using them in my 7x57 which likes them more than Sierra. I started using Sierra again a few years ago and they are damn good deer killers and not expensive.
Posted By: jonlee126

Re: Handload's This Season - 09/06/18 06:04 PM

Coming in late on this one but thought I’d contribute. I shot two with the 140gr accubonds out of my 280 AI. One shot through the shoulders and one behind and both ran 60-80 yards with little to no blood. I still have a few loaded so I’ll probably give them another go this year but may switch after this year. Also Shot two with the 6.8 95 gr ttsx and they performed well, the deer may have ran 40 yds, but also little to no blood. I’m thinking that since it was a quartering away shot, the angle had something to do with the blood trail.
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Handload's This Season - 09/06/18 06:28 PM

35 whelen with 225gr Sierra btsp, boom flop, no runners.

Re: Handload's This Season - 09/06/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Reloader79

Whatcha loading under that Sierra? I use 4064 under a 250 gr Hornady RN in my 35 Whelen AI.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Handload's This Season - 09/07/18 12:01 AM

Been shooting a 140 gr Nosler partition the last couple of years in my Sako Finnlite 7-08. Probably my favorite deer rifle and load ever !
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Handload's This Season - 09/07/18 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Reloader79

Whatcha loading under that Sierra? I use 4064 under a 250 gr Hornady RN in my 35 Whelen AI.

59gr of Reloader 15, good accuracy too, that gun surprised me with how it shoots. Three shots will stay within 3/4” easily. Another re-barreled savage I put together with a ER Shaw barrel kit.

Re: Handload's This Season - 09/07/18 03:37 PM

I have some 165 SPBT sierras coming to try in my 308 as I type this. I have been reading the 'gloom and doom' about them on the net for the last few days, and I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of the folks who are claiming bullet separation and disintegration also said their animal fell in their tracks, or took three steps and fell over. If the sierras will do that, then I don't really care whether the jacket separates internally or not.

I just want an accurate bullet that will do the job, and don't cost $50 for a hundred. I believe the sierras will accomplish this with no fuss.
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: Handload's This Season - 09/07/18 05:44 PM

I'll still be hunting with my hand loads for my 45-70, the load is accurate,deer don't run most of the time if they do it's under 15yds.

Re: Handload's This Season - 09/07/18 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by treemydog

I have some 165 SPBT sierras coming to try in my 308 as I type this. I have been reading the 'gloom and doom' about them on the net for the last few days, and I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of the folks who are claiming bullet separation and disintegration also said their animal fell in their tracks, or took three steps and fell over. If the sierras will do that, then I don't really care whether the jacket separates internally or not.

I just want an accurate bullet that will do the job, and don't cost $50 for a hundred. I believe the sierras will accomplish this with no fuss.

You will not be disappointed. Sierra makes good bullets that will create a large wound channel. Bullets may not exit but you will have a nice souvenir when you gut the deer that died in its tracks. thumbup

Re: Handload's This Season - 09/07/18 07:59 PM

You will not be disappointed. Sierra makes good bullets that will create a large wound channel. Bullets may not exit but you will have a nice souvenir when you gut the deer that died in its tracks. thumbup

My 308 and the 168 TMKs get along nicely. I would hope that the 165 GK will act similarly.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM