Aldeer.com

Cases fitting tight

Posted By: Rebelman

Cases fitting tight - 09/05/17 08:22 PM

I loaded 50 rounds this weekend. Like a dumbass, I didn't test the fit until afterwords. They will chamber but the bolt is tight.

What are my options at this point?
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/06/17 06:03 AM

Sine you can chamber the rounds just shoot them. I did the same thing a few years ago. I started using the Hornady Headspace gauge and this has helped me size my cases just the right amount without pushing the shoulder back too much. I do like to feel just the slightest amount of resistance when I close the bolt, but not too tight. Use them for target shooting and not for hunting when a stuck case could be a problem. Not likely to happen but just use the loads at the range just to be sure.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/06/17 09:25 AM

Buy a case gauge. It'll save you headaches on sizing and length of cases.

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/06/17 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: AU338MAG
Sine you can chamber the rounds just shoot them. I did the same thing a few years ago. I started using the Hornady Headspace gauge and this has helped me size my cases just the right amount without pushing the shoulder back too much. I do like to feel just the slightest amount of resistance when I close the bolt, but not too tight. Use them for target shooting and not for hunting when a stuck case could be a problem. Not likely to happen but just use the loads at the range just to be sure.

Can it cause any damage to my gun to shoot them?
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/06/17 01:43 PM

Nope, if you can close the bolt you are good. Obviously that doesn't mean closing the bolt with an 8# sledge.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/06/17 02:07 PM

I had to have a LARGE buddy stand on a Rem 700 one time while I kicked the bolt open. Is that a bad sign????? grin
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/06/17 02:31 PM

Bolt staying down ain't good.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/06/17 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I had to have a LARGE buddy stand on a Rem 700 one time while I kicked the bolt open. Is that a bad sign????? grin

The best outcome to that was that you lived to have the LARGE buddy stand on it wink
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/06/17 04:02 PM

Cases tight on fit entering the chamber aren't a problem. Cases that are upon exiting is another entity.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/06/17 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: odocoileus
Cases tight on fit entering the chamber aren't a problem. Cases that are upon exiting is another entity.

Yep. Sometimes you just need a bigger hammer to open the bolt.

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/09/17 03:18 PM

Bought a bullet puller and pulled, resized, primed, measured, reseated.

I won't ever make that mistake again.
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/10/17 05:01 PM

Mistakes are how you learn something's, good that you caught it. Better luck next time.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Cases fitting tight - 09/13/17 08:08 PM

I would shoot them but probably wouldn't hunt with them. The tight fit may be because you have the bullet seated to long in which case you could easily try to unload the chamber and leave said bullet stuck in the lands.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM