Aldeer.com

School me on Dillon

Posted By: Dixiepatriot

School me on Dillon - 04/10/17 10:20 AM

I'm looking for thr best setup to load copious qualities of .223,
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/10/17 10:56 AM

1050 then 650. The 1050 is really sweet for large runs,the 650 easier on the wallet.Both will provide great quality for money.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/10/17 10:57 AM

Great presses, good for what you are wanting to do (load a lot of one caliber). To me the slowest part in reloading 223 is case prep. Buy a little crow trimmer, and a good crimp remover.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/10/17 02:50 PM

I have a 550B and it does everything I need to do, does it well and fast. I did add micrometers to the powder measure bars for closer powder measuring although they are not necessary at all. UniqueTek makes them. I'd really like to have a 650 for automatic stage advancement but I'll never pay the difference for that. And I can't justify the cost of a 1050.

As stated a fast trimmer for .223/5.56 and a Dillon Super Swage 600 for removing crimp on military brass helps a lot.

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/10/17 07:06 PM

Where's the best place to get one?

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/10/17 07:25 PM

Order it from direct from Dillon.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/10/17 07:26 PM

I have been looking online for 6 months and can't really find any better deals than straight from Dillon themselves. I've not checked shooters warehouse in Cullman yet. Ebay is a joke, might save a few dollars but not much unless you get real lucky. I've about got cash together to order one and am thinking straight from them unless I find them cheaper somewhere else.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/11/17 02:29 PM

You are going to have to shoot a lot to justify the press for just .223 because I would get the 1050 if that is what I was buying it specifically for. And it ain't gonna be match grade at that.

If I were planning on going out and shooting 1,000s of rounds for fun at the range I'd just buy steel case and learn how to change the barrel. You'll shoot the barrel out of it either way.

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/11/17 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Goatkiller
And it ain't gonna be match grade at that.

I use my 550 as a double stage to load my hunting rounds and it's very good at that. I size and prime the cases in the first stage, charge them on a tray and then go back to the 3rd station for bullet seating. And when I want to crank out a bunch of 45ACP or .223 I can do that too. But, I still can't justify a 1050.

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/11/17 04:15 PM

I love my Dillion but I reload pistol ammo on it and as a side show use it for .223 similar to how you are doing it.

Works good, but still a good bit of work involved. You have to trick one out to run .223 as fast as I believe we are talking about here. That's expensive. Reloading ain't free components still cost money. Good bullets, etc.

If you are just trying to run plinking ammo through it to let the kids shoot up by the thousands and are planning on buying cheap components I'd do what I suggested above.... that's all I'm trying to say. Just buy it.
Posted By: longshot

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/11/17 05:13 PM

I have a 550B. Wish I would have got the 650

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/11/17 09:20 PM

They definitely know how market their product.

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/12/17 05:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Dixiepatriot

I get the Blue Press publication every month or 6 weeks, whatever the interval is and the eye candy is always real good smile
Posted By: Big Al

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/12/17 02:30 PM

In y'all's experience loading 5.56/.223, what is the per round cost? Is it more for just the hobby and having something to do, or do you really save that much money? Every now and then, I find .223 for approx. $.30 to $.33/round. Good enough for plinking and it's reloadable brass. I know with reloading, you can work your rounds up to your specs and probably improve accuracy, but just to reload to plink, is it worth the Dillon and the cost of components?
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/12/17 02:33 PM

I think I loaded them at around a quarter a round if I remember correctly. Of course that does not take into account all my equipment to load. Unless you are shooting thousands of rounds a year, probably doesn't make sense, but I enjoy reloading so I do it anyway.

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/12/17 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote

I get the Blue Press publication every month or 6 weeks, whatever the interval is and the eye candy is always real good smile

X2
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/12/17 04:08 PM

Big Al yes factory ammo is "better" now and what you save you will shoot more thus negating your savings.Kinda hard to write the feeling you get watching the X go away or seeing an animal crumple with a round you loaded.You can use componets that you can't find commercially.

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/12/17 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Al
In y'all's experience loading 5.56/.223, what is the per round cost? Is it more for just the hobby and having something to do, or do you really save that much money?

Rarely do I shoot more than a handful of rounds so plinking is just not something that I do. THE reason that I load is so that I only depend on me for my ammo. Every store on earth can be out of ammo but I'll always have plenty.
Posted By: Big Al

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/12/17 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
Originally Posted By: Big Al
In y'all's experience loading 5.56/.223, what is the per round cost? Is it more for just the hobby and having something to do, or do you really save that much money?

Rarely do I shoot more than a handful of rounds so plinking is just not something that I do. THE reason that I load is so that I only depend on me for my ammo. Every store on earth can be out of ammo but I'll always have plenty.

Good reason Mr. Coyote.

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/12/17 05:18 PM

Exactly the reason I reload my own.stuff.

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/12/17 11:50 PM

If you are just shooting plinking stuff the cost just isn't worth it.

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/13/17 07:49 AM

Plinking, Zombies or whatever. The ability to " load copious qualities of (insert calibers here)". Or the process of doing it can't be judged by anyone but ones self as to if its worth it. Get one load up a bunch decide its not for you and sell it for what you paid for it if its a Dillon. Just like at Alabama its the value of the process!
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/14/17 09:00 AM

I always advise people who ask that getting in to reloading will not save you money, especially if you only load for a couple of guns. You will shoot way more ammo than if you by factory, negating the cost savings. It's a hobby I enjoy, and as said above, there is a special feeling that comes with using your handmade ammo to take an animal.

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/14/17 09:32 AM

I ain't asking about saving money and I ain't worried about shooting more ammo. Shooting more ammo is my goal.

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/15/17 03:25 PM

I ain't asking about saving money and I ain't worried about shooting more ammo. Shooting more ammo is my goal.

Buy a 1050 and load all the ammo you and your friends and friends friends could want to shoot in just a short time

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/15/17 05:19 PM

Right now I'm thinking 650

Re: School me on Dillon - 04/17/17 02:57 PM

Call Dillon. You'll be into it the 650 around $1500 before you are done but you'll have a trimmer at that price to go with it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM