Aldeer.com

$$ from trapping coon

Posted By: AUwrestler

$$ from trapping coon - 11/29/23 04:19 PM

I am wanting to get myself and my 7 yr old son started in coon trapping with DP's. Other than fur, which I don't want to do, How do yall go about making any money on trapping? I will be trapping on friends land or neighboring properties.
How do you find farmers who will let you come trap? How much to charge for removal if for a club or someone else?
Thanks
Posted By: hayman

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 11/29/23 05:12 PM

Only money to be made is the cost of corn you save from them not eating it.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 11/29/23 05:48 PM

And the nest fulls of turkey eggs you spare from them eating.
Posted By: k bush

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 11/29/23 06:42 PM

If you can find a reliable market for the meat, $5-10 in the round. Ideally you’ll find a contact who has family in a major metro area where they’ll take them and sell.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 11/29/23 09:21 PM

I don't know of anyone that is making money trapping the last few years if trapping their own place as a hobby. The only guys that MIGHT make a few dollars are the ones contracted to trap for others. Most of us do it for the opportunity to get outdoors more and to help the turkey and deer populations on the land we hunt. I do it because it gives me a chance to spend more time in the woods.

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 11/29/23 10:02 PM

This is the main reason, but some gas money wouldn't hurt. mostly wanting to help the turkeys and get outside.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 11/29/23 10:17 PM

No money to be made in the southern fur trade
Seeing your deer and turkey populations thrive because of trapping is the only payment you’ll get and that makes it worthwhile
Posted By: 3bailey3

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 12/01/23 11:55 PM

Everytime I catch a coon all I see is a turkey egg in his mouth, makes the killing part easy!!
Posted By: bodock

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 12/02/23 02:12 PM

As stated above. the fur market is gone. I have done bounty trapping for some hunting clubs($5-$10/coon) and you could find a meat market. I always sold them for $4-$5 each( They may have went up with inflation) LOL I found a top lot award from NAFA the other day, $28 for an Alabama coon. I wish we could see these days again but I'm afraid not.
Posted By: YellaLineHunter

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 12/03/23 02:07 AM

Maybe work out a trade for every x number of coons you can take your son to hunt 1 day.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 12/03/23 02:08 AM

I had a black guy taking mine for a while - now just toss or reset yote trap w cut up coon - still most gets tossed

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 12/06/23 03:47 PM

Thats a good plan, just goota get the word out. Any tips on how to find farmers and land owners info?
Posted By: YellaLineHunter

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 12/06/23 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by AUwrestler
Thats a good plan, just goota get the word out. Any tips on how to find farmers and land owners info?

There are county maps online that show property info or use the onx app. Also, offering a service to get the ball rolling is a good way to break the ice for a knock on a door.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 12/12/23 09:37 PM

Ill pay you a dollar a coon for every one you kill around here till i say stop
Posted By: johnv

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 12/12/23 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Ill pay you a dollar a coon for every one you kill around here till i say stop

Throw in the droptine buck and I'm in
rofl
Posted By: Frankie

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 12/30/23 02:15 AM

find some coon hunters see if theyll buy them as replacement coons . lol
Posted By: HappyHunter

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 01/29/24 03:08 AM

How do you dispose of them?
Posted By: k bush

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 01/29/24 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by HappyHunter
How do you dispose of them?

ditch
Posted By: HappyHunter

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 01/29/24 11:28 PM

I lay coyotes in the flood plain and hope for rain. I’ve noticed it takes a while for possums and raccoons to start eating them. Just curious if there was a better way.
Posted By: imadeerhntr

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 02/04/24 03:23 PM

I worked with a guy years ago that sold the meat. He sold to a black guy in Guntersville and told me when he cleaned them they wanted the feet left on. Said he had been sold cats in the past was the reasoning
Posted By: James

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 02/13/24 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by hayman
Only money to be made is the cost of corn you save from them not eating it.

Must not have Black Folks 😆
Posted By: James

Re: $$ from trapping coon - 02/13/24 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by imadeerhntr
I worked with a guy years ago that sold the meat. He sold to a black guy in Guntersville and told me when he cleaned them they wanted the feet left on. Said he had been sold cats in the past was the reasoning

Several down here has had it happen before too apparently lol
© 2024 ALDEER.COM