Aldeer.com

Coons uninterested in traps

Posted By: BOFF

Coons uninterested in traps - 01/17/23 01:36 PM

I have 6 coons that by association with the pigs have made them smarter. laugh

They are bypassing 6 dog-proof traps baited with sardines, and seafood lovers cat mix, to eat old corn baiting the hog traps.
3 coons have been caught at this location, 6 remain

I guess I may have to try baiting with marshmellows or orange slices, or foothold traps.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/17/23 02:08 PM

Do you have a feeder in the hog trap ? Had a coon that would walk past DP's to go to corn at the feeder. Ended up bedding a MB550 at the base of the tripod leg he usually climbed and bingo! Caught coon. You could also try blind setting any trails they have in the same manner.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/17/23 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by k bush
Do you have a feeder in the hog trap ? Had a coon that would walk past DP's to go to corn at the feeder. Ended up bedding a MB550 at the base of the tripod leg he usually climbed and bingo! Caught coon. You could also try blind setting any trails they have in the same manner.

No feeder in the trap.

I was thinking of the blind sets, as camera shows several areas of the trap they enter.

It's going to be a mess though as they will weave that trap and chain through the hog panels.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/17/23 03:55 PM

I'd bet the marshmallows work, always do for me.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/17/23 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by BOFF
Originally Posted by k bush

No feeder in the trap.

I was thinking of the blind sets, as camera shows several areas of the trap they enter.

It's going to be a mess though as they will weave that trap and chain through the hog panels.

God Bless,
David B.

Stake the trap on the off side not directly under it. That way they can barely touch the trap once caught.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/18/23 01:26 PM

I'd change bait....peppermint has worked pretty good
Posted By: jeffpike83

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/19/23 02:36 AM

I mix vanilla and dog food they love it for my DP
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/19/23 10:11 PM

Like they saying - they may not keep doing death March to your traps - change bait

Corn with moon shine over it (Coon attractant ) has worked welll - corn w peanut butter rice brain has worked well - dry salmon flavored dog food w fish oil poured over it

Straight corn works
Posted By: Paint Rock 00

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/19/23 11:38 PM

I read on her before and very good advice. Most thing work November-Mid March-April. (Sweet stuff) Ants can clean a trap out over night. Mice can get in them and not set off the trap.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/20/23 04:25 AM

Put corn in the trap. I had a similar problem with a few and even though corn was readily available, they still wanted to get in the DP. I think they're just naturally curious
Posted By: bodock

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/20/23 06:57 PM

Put corn in your traps and put a spoonful of cherry Koolaid mix (dry crystals) on top of the corn.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/20/23 10:45 PM

I tried corn earlier with no takers.

Today I have vanilla extract on small piece of paper towel in bottom of trap, with mini marshmallows in tube by trigger, and a candied fruit piece skewered on the trigger arm.

Minimal corn in hog trap now, so fresh corn in the tubes might have worked.

I just need to keep the hog trap baited, but I’m tired of feeding coons.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/21/23 01:52 PM

AND!!!!!!

Nothing this morning! rofl

Coons are winning this one for now.

Guess the K9s are going in the ground Monday.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/21/23 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by BOFF
AND!!!!!!

Nothing this morning! rofl

Coons are winning this one for now.

Guess the K9s are going in the ground Monday.

God Bless,
David B.

David if you can find a co-op or feed store that carries the Triple Grip try some of it. I have had really good luck catching coons and possums with it. The ants do not mess with it as bad as other baits. It's roasted corn, soybeans and peanuts. The coons absolutely love it!!

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/22/23 05:39 PM

One coon this morning!

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/22/23 11:22 PM

Ice Breaker! Slump Buster ! Etc.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/25/23 01:49 AM

I put out 4 dog proof traps Sunday afternoon next to the corn pile my camera is on. I baited 2 with honey buns, broke up into small pieces and two with Dollar store niblet corn out of a can. I drizzled corn juice over the 2 with honey buns in them. This morning I had 2 coons, and one possum. One coon had each front leg in a trap. Two different traps. I figure that had to just happen. I can't imagine it still trying to eat, while caught by one leg.

I learned the niblet corn trick from trying to keep them out of sweet corn in the garden.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/25/23 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
I put out 4 dog proof traps Sunday afternoon next to the corn pile my camera is on. I baited 2 with honey buns, broke up into small pieces and two with Dollar store niblet corn out of a can. I drizzled corn juice over the 2 with honey buns in them. This morning I had 2 coons, and one possum. One coon had each front leg in a trap. Two different traps. I figure that had to just happen. I can't imagine it still trying to eat, while caught by one leg.

I learned the niblet corn trick from trying to keep them out of sweet corn in the garden.

Good deal!!

I caught one more this morning.
That leaves 4.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/25/23 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin

I’ve caught a few like that with a foot in 2 separate traps, they either really hungry or not very smart
Posted By: Bowhunter2011

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/25/23 03:18 AM

I just ordered two more dps and some wax and dye and beaver caster!! Time to get back after them this weekend. Do y’all wax and dye your traps??

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/25/23 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bowhunter2011
I just ordered two more dps and some wax and dye and beaver caster!! Time to get back after them this weekend. Do y’all wax and dye your traps??

Not the dog proof coon traps.

I have painted then bright colors to attract the coons and help see the traps.
The ones I have out now are just bare metal with rust spots.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/25/23 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bowhunter2011

No need for wax and dye for dp traps
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/25/23 08:18 PM

I caught them by feeders all last year with dry seafood flavor cat food, and a jumbo marshmellow on top. I stick it in the top sideways, so it sticks out the top so they can see it.
Posted By: High_Voltage

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/26/23 02:37 PM

I buy the cheapest roasted peanuts they have at grocery store and bait traps with that. sometimes add dry catfood when its cold

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 01/28/23 02:19 AM

Have caught 2 more since the sweets have been used!

Should have 2 coons left out of the 4.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 02/04/23 01:56 AM

2 more coons caught on separate times.

The one this morning was a mess after all the rain.

[Linked Image]

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 02/04/23 05:38 PM

And another this morning.

[Linked Image]

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 02/04/23 07:55 PM

Get em bud!
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 02/06/23 11:52 AM

Drop a few marshmallows in the hog trap then drop one in each dp

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 02/06/23 01:36 PM

Pulling coon traps today, as no more coons are showing up on the hog traps.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 02/24/23 12:31 AM

2 more added to the rest.
[Linked Image]

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 02/24/23 01:40 AM

Good job
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 03/02/23 02:50 AM

Nothing works better for coon traps than honeybuns.

Son of my friend in Florida is a professional critter control guy, who owns his own company. He tells me honeybuns are the only bait he ever uses.

Re: Coons uninterested in traps - 03/02/23 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by UncleHuck

Nothing works better for coon traps than honeybuns.

Son of my friend in Florida is a professional critter control guy, who owns his own company. He tells me honeybuns are the only bait he ever uses.

In my earlier years, the honey buns would have never made it in the traps, just in my belly!! laugh

God Bless,
David B.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM