Aldeer.com

Booner coon stole my DP trap..

Posted By: ronfromramer

Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/03/22 03:00 PM

He must be a biggun. Caught a good sized male Sunday night. Reset it last night and it's gone this morning. Had it wired to a stake and secured good. Managed to pull the wire off the stake. Lesson learned, this is my first go round with DP traps. Caught a bunch with live traps but kept catching my barn cats with live traps
Posted By: hayman

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/03/22 04:04 PM

I’ve lost several using stakes. I will not anchor to a stake anymore. I either anchor to a tree or fence post. I have even had one pull out one of those screw in dog anchors. Not sure what they are called.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/05/22 11:38 AM

I lost one last year. It was my fault I know. I reset with another trap. I will be danged I caught that coon with the trap on his other foot. He wasnt the smartest coon.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/05/22 11:50 AM

I've gone to all disposable anchors for my DP's. I just leave them in the ground and when I pull traps, I tie a piece of flagging tape around the loop so I can find it and use it again. I'm trapping primarily at feeders after deer season. I put the anchors where the coon can't grab ahold of a tree or my feeder or anything to give it any leverage. I haven't lost one since I started doing it that way.
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/05/22 02:49 PM

We just use a loop and loop them to the feeder legs or the hog fence around the feeder. Haven’t lost one yet.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/05/22 04:35 PM

Cables or disposable anchors. End of story.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/05/22 06:12 PM

I found the trap thief coon dead down by my pond and got my trap back. It was buzzard lunch. Take that sucker.. 22 between the eyes would have been a much better way to go. I've caught 4 in the same spot under a bird feeder in my yard. One every night so far
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/11/22 01:58 PM

5’ t-post. I have four spread out around all the feeders. Very easy to locate and keep track when your running three dozen traps.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/11/22 04:31 PM

I will begin putting out coon traps in a week or so at my club. What are y'all using for bait?
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/11/22 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stoney
I will begin putting out coon traps in a week or so at my club. What are y'all using for bait?

I'm new to trapping, but so far I've had good luck with cheap, fishy smelling dry cat food or small chunks of sardines.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/12/22 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stoney

Cheap cat food.....location, location, location is the biggest key
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/12/22 04:14 PM

Dry corn. Ants get dad this time of year, add a few drops of fish oil.
Posted By: buzzard

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/12/22 07:42 PM

had one pull an 18" stake a few years ago , wont use them now.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/12/22 07:42 PM

Buddy lost a turkey this year because a giant coon came through the woods dragging a chain...He hasn't killed a turkey in years and had been working two gobblers for over an hour that finally broke and were heading his way. Next thing he knows just as the turkeys were about up from the holler, he hears an awful racquet and out popped this giant coon dragging the chain like the hulk. The coon saw him at 10 yards where he did a triple backflip and rolled on back down the holler which spooked both birds! Of course, he was pissed, but I have to say It's one of the funniest stories I have heard in years with him describing it lol
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Booner coon stole my DP trap.. - 05/14/22 02:49 PM

Don't tie one to a fence post on a barbed wire fence. You'll wind up with a 3 legged coon hopping around. I learned that lesson 10 years ago when I was trapping here. It took me 2, 3 legged coons to make the lesson stick. They get wrapped up in the barbed wire, break their leg, then they're gone. You just get a coon leg for your efforts.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM