Aldeer.com

Is it even considered a success?

Posted By: johnmcgowan

Is it even considered a success? - 05/03/22 04:03 AM

I journeyed to my friend's place in Forkland this past weekend and put a few traps out Friday evening and some more Saturday morning. Let me be clear, even with applying skeeter spray, skeeters were absolutely terrible all daylight hours and
flat tore me up ! I checked the traps Saturday evening with no activity. We had to leave fairly early Sunday morning so I started pulling my traps about 8:00 am. I had put 7 sets out. No action on any although it did have some armadiller prints at one set. Being used to being discouraged from all the others times that I put sets out,I was hopeful but not too excited to get anything.
I came to the last set and lo and behold it had a boar possum in it caught by the left front leg! I know what you guys are thinking...big deal, possums don't count, lol, but it was my first time to have caught anything in a trap. Its no big deal but still kind of was to me thumbup. Hopefully I will have better luck next outing.
Thanks for reading this.
John
Posted By: Bowhunter2011

Re: Is it even considered a success? - 05/04/22 02:02 AM

Good job man I get pumped every time I catch something. It’s awesome ain’t it???!!!
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Is it even considered a success? - 05/04/22 02:24 AM

Heck - that’s good man - u just starting and not giving yourself several days to check traps is a real disadvantage

My fat butt likes waiting till fall and winter to trap - i usually find coons where I been feeding corn or on pretty hardwoods or by a creek - but if u only hav few days it tufff - but bettr than nothing

Good job - congrats
Posted By: johnmcgowan

Re: Is it even considered a success? - 05/04/22 01:54 PM

Thanks fellers. I am still scratching from all those mosquito bites, lol. I guess with all the rain down there the past months its just a breeding ground for them with the backed up sloughs and puddles everywhere. The skeeters were the worse Ive ever seen !!
I did get to witness a young guy with a 2wd truck get stuck and buried to the frame on one of the dirt roads at the club and it took 2 other 4wd trucks with a winch 3 hours to get him out. The Greene Co mud was not wanting to let go of it.
Here's something Ive never thought possible on the possum I caught. I dispatched him with my 40 cal glock from about 7 feet right tween his eyes. He was still standing with his new cranial vent hole so I gave him another one about an inch from the previous spot. That 2nd round still did not put him down immediately like I thought it would and he wanted to bite at the shovel that I used to separate him from my feet to open the trap up to release him. I never figured that was possible but it happened. Tough critters for sure.
Posted By: CAL

Re: Is it even considered a success? - 05/09/22 03:58 PM

I whack them over the head with a stick.
Posted By: johnv

Re: Is it even considered a success? - 05/09/22 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by CAL
I whack them over the head with a stick.

I did that till I got opossum blood splattered in my mouth one day. Back to shooting them for me

Re: Is it even considered a success? - 05/10/22 01:06 AM

I whiffed on a coon one time and thought - if my fat butt falls into him I will regret it - back to shooting behind the shoulder - head shot way too much blood
Posted By: johnv

Re: Is it even considered a success? - 05/10/22 01:29 AM

[Linked Image]
I didn't catch anything today and still consider it a success after a Monday at work

Re: Is it even considered a success? - 05/10/22 02:56 AM

^^^ I need to make one last run at em
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Is it even considered a success? - 06/30/22 03:14 PM

Nice, fun stuff.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM