Aldeer.com

New to trapping

Posted By: bamaeyedoc

New to trapping - 04/12/22 02:27 PM

I’ve never trapped before but want to try it on this piece of property I’ve leased. It’s only 30 min away so I can check it daily. Would now be a good time to try to trap some coons?
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: New to trapping - 04/12/22 04:24 PM

Yes. Anytime is a good time! But with turkeys trying to nest it’s a great time. You going to use dog proof traps for the coons?
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: New to trapping - 04/12/22 05:20 PM

Yes most definitely
Use Surfin & Turfin dry cat food for bait
I put in enough to come up just under the trigger

Re: New to trapping - 04/13/22 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pwyse
Yes. Anytime is a good time! But with turkeys trying to nest it’s a great time. You going to use dog proof traps for the coons?

That’s the plan.
Posted By: CNC

Re: New to trapping - 04/13/22 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
Originally Posted by Pwyse

That’s the plan.

I like the push/pull Z-trap style DP's the best if you havent bought them yet......
Posted By: johnv

Re: New to trapping - 04/13/22 01:39 AM

Just set on small game trails with some catfood and you'll be set with dog proofs.

Re: New to trapping - 04/13/22 01:52 AM

Haven’t bought any yet. Just starting to think about what to do.
Posted By: Bowhunter2011

Re: New to trapping - 04/13/22 02:25 AM

I just started and it’s a blast. My girls love helping too
Posted By: Chiller

Re: New to trapping - 04/13/22 10:43 AM

Start now. Trapping coons is pretty basic. You don't have to worry about scent or setting the trap off while your setting up. For bait I use dry cat food. You can use about anything. Grease soaked towel and marshmallows are my backup.
If you are able, progress to trapping coyotes. It's a little bit more detailed but well worth it.

Re: New to trapping - 04/13/22 01:43 PM

Do y'all just stake the DP's down or attach them to a tree with a wire. I saw some YouTube stuff on attaching them to a tree or a fence post to keep them from pulling it out. And do y'all just dispatch them with a .22 rifle or what?
Posted By: Chiller

Re: New to trapping - 04/13/22 05:19 PM

You can stake them down. Especially if around a feeder or corn pile. Im sure there are many ways to attach it. Just make sure they cant pull trap off. We use something that goes around a 4" tree or smaller. The tree has to have a bend or some sort of split in it or they will climb up the tree and bend it over and pull it off the tree. I use 22 pistol. I dont know how others feel but I am very cautious when handling a dispatched critter. I try not to get anything from them on me.
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: New to trapping - 04/13/22 06:39 PM

I just attach the chain to a feeder leg or something like that with one of those chain links with the nut on it ( I don’t know the correct name of it). Shoot ‘em with a .22 and then reset the trap. If you have feeders on the property it’s really easy.
Posted By: Wade

Re: New to trapping - 04/13/22 08:02 PM

Doc,

I just get a 4' long piece of stainless steel cable (1/4" or so) and make a 5" loop in each end. Make the loop big enough to pass the DP trap through. I then put the cable around a tree, etc. and loop the trap back through. Easy, peazy trap set up; takes about 30 seconds. We just dispatched about 40 coons and a dozen coyotes just before turkey season.

Re: New to trapping - 04/13/22 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wade
Doc,

I just get a 4' long piece of stainless steel cable (1/4" or so) and make a 5" loop in each end. Make the loop big enough to pass the DP trap through. I then put the cable around a tree, etc. and loop the trap back through. Easy, peazy trap set up; takes about 30 seconds. We just dispatched about 40 coons and a dozen coyotes just before turkey season.

This ^^^^^^........Go to Flemings down in Ramer and they'll have everything you need. They'll have a roll of the wire and hammer on clamps to make it out of.

Re: New to trapping - 04/14/22 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by Wade
Doc,

This ^^^^^^........Go to Flemings down in Ramer and they'll have everything you need. They'll have a roll of the wire and hammer on clamps to make it out of.

Cool. Thanks!!

Re: New to trapping - 04/14/22 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
Cool. Thanks!!

Here you go……This is the setup we’re talking about making…..Also, see the two traps on the far left of the pile…..one of them has a round piece welded to the stob that sticks in the ground and one only has a straight post…..The one with the round piece on the stob is a Z-trap like I mentioned…..That little round piece is one of the things I like better about them. It can be a pain to get them to stick in the ground well when its sandy or wet. That round piece really helps. They also have a two-way push/pull trigger ….They are worth the extra couple dollars per trap IMO.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: New to trapping - 04/14/22 09:55 PM

That looks exactly like my set up down to the color
The only thing I can add is the cables can be a huge PITA to untangle but it’s better that driving in anchors and trying to remove them when you’re finished trapping
© 2024 ALDEER.COM