Aldeer.com

Beaver trapping

Posted By: Lockjaw

Beaver trapping - 09/06/21 10:03 PM

What size snare should I use to trap a beaver? I have one that is wearing out a trail system in one of my green fields. It enters under some brush, so its a perfect spot for a snare.
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/06/21 11:33 PM

I don’t think snares are legal on dry land in Alabama. I believe they are supposed to be submerged
Posted By: k bush

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/07/21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by BuckRidge17
I don’t think snares are legal on dry land in Alabama. I believe they are supposed to be submerged

Not submerged but "in" the water.

By size do you mean loop size ? 10" and 2" off the ground for a walking beaver. Catch him where he leaves the water, blend it in well. Transplant some clumps of grass if you need cover to blend it in.

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/07/21 02:23 PM

Can I do a conibear then? I am not sure where it comes up out of the creek, but I could fit a conibear in front of the opening thru the brush it uses to get into the field. I just want to kill it so it quits wearing trails in my field.

If so what size?

When I look at snares on line, they have a number. So I need to know what number to use. Same for a conibear, although I do know alabama has a max size conibear limit.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/07/21 03:04 PM

Great place to get traps right there in Bama

https://www.flemingtraps.com/
Posted By: 4Him146

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/07/21 07:58 PM

If you go with connibears you will need 330’s which is the big boy. Make sure you watch a lot of instructional videos or have someone show you how to SAFELY work them. They break whatever they hit. There are several veteran beaver trappers on here. I asked k bush 100 questions and he got me catching beavers right a way

See if you can find the dam and do a simple dam break set. Or slides and do a castor mound set

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/07/21 08:52 PM

So if a beaver isn't considered a fur bearing animal, then I can use whatever conibear I want? Basically?

Maybe I need to ask the game warden????

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/08/21 12:56 AM

Everything on land has a maximum size. Pretty sure the largest land legal conibear is a 160. Generally, 220 for Coons 280 otter and 330 beavers. There are always exceptions where someone will use 280 on beavers or 220 on otters.

Put some scouting time in and follow that trail back to the water, then you’ll have many more options.

You could try long chaining the beaver with the largest land legal trap coil or double long spring trap. You’ll want to target a back foot catch because their front legs are very weak and easily break off. Problem with that approach is a beavers back foot is really big. If I was going to try this approach, I’d put a 4-6” sapling across the trail, big enough to break his stride but not so big he’ll go around. Bed a trap on either side, about 18” (finger to elbow) from stick to center of the pan. Offset about 3” to one side. Heavy pan tension, 4-6 lbs to minimize off targets. You want him to push off with back foot as he climbs over the clog. If you miss and see where his push off is closer, adjust the trap spacing. Pray that you don’t snap on his front foot or belly because if you do, shooting him will be your next chance unless you go to the water.

Personally, I prefer a Bridger #5 on a drowning rod where they leave the water. The same 18”/3” rule applies but bank slope may change it slightly.

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/08/21 01:56 AM

Well said k bush.Not relevant but I think technically a #155 is the largest dry land for AL.
Also wanted add that using a small dive stick really helped me. If you use connibears you can lay a small stick just across the top bar. This will entice the beaver to dive under right before your trap and Bam

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/08/21 01:32 PM

Definitely want to use a dive stick when setting in deeper water

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/08/21 06:22 PM

I am going to have to look and see where he is hiding then. All I know is the trail into my field is very obvious.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/09/21 10:54 AM

Just got email from Flemmings, they have sale going on now.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/09/21 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lockjaw
What size snare should I use to trap a beaver?

This is probably your best bet...

[Linked Image]

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/13/21 08:09 PM

I followed its trail down to the water, its not deep at all. So me and another guy put a snare out where it comes in through (under) some brush into the field. Hopefully that will snag him and put a stop to it messing around on my clover field.

Re: Beaver trapping - 09/14/21 02:47 PM

Keep us posted. If you catch one, you may be hooked

Re: Beaver trapping - 10/11/21 08:42 PM

Well I did finally catch one. And it beat down everything around the tree for probably 3 or 4 feet. Probably need to try to reset it this weekend.
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Beaver trapping - 10/13/21 05:08 PM

Post up a pic, if you have one.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Beaver trapping - 10/13/21 08:03 PM

It's too bad the anti-trappers have outlawed all the stuff that works. You would be stacking them like cord wood simply using a 330 in their trail. They ain't that smart and easy to catch under certain methods.

Re: Beaver trapping - 10/14/21 08:38 PM

Uhm..... there wouldn't be much to post. A yote or two got ahold of it. I sort of hope what's left is a reminder to the rest of them to stay out of my field!! LOL!!
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Beaver trapping - 10/17/21 01:49 AM

Set foothold traps around the body for the coyotes

Re: Beaver trapping - 10/17/21 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tigger85
Set foothold traps around the body for the coyotes

You’re on the right track. If you just put them in the open, you will catch a buzzard.

The way to do this is brush it in so the carcass is not visible. Set the opening and approach trails. It’s best to stake or tie the carcass so it stays in place longer.

Re: Beaver trapping - 10/19/21 08:42 PM

I don't know about all this foothold trap stuff. Life would be so much simpler if they would just bring back the sweet tasting antifreeze.
Posted By: Tidefan101

Re: Beaver trapping - 10/29/21 02:46 PM

I just bought some conibear traps last year...I've caught 20 beavers so far and they haven't slowed down damming up the creek headed into my deer woods. These things never stop. Everything I've read said that there are usually on 10-14 beavers per family. I've far surpassed that number and they are still going. The trapping has gotten slow....not sure if they are getting wise to them or what, but there are tracks all in the mud and looks to multiple beavers left. If any of you want to practice your trapping skills, hit me up and help me out!!! lol

Re: Beaver trapping - 10/31/21 12:13 AM

If they are avoiding your conibears, switch to snares or footholds. Footholds need to be 7” minimum jawspread. MB750, Bridget #5,Duke 850 Pro and TS85 are all good choices. One of those bedded where they leave the water is money. I prefer to use a drowning setup.

If you stick with 330’s, put them in runs under a dive stick

Re: Beaver trapping - 11/17/21 04:06 AM

New to me, but caught an otter in my trap today. Didn't even know they were around! lol

Re: Beaver trapping - 12/03/21 03:36 PM

Caught number #21 Monday. Monster. Probably 50-60 lbs. Surely I'm getting close to the end!! lol
Posted By: Bowhunter2011

Re: Beaver trapping - 01/13/22 01:53 AM

Hi guys I just started researching and attempting to trap beavers and just caught my first one a few weeks ago and I am hooked. Any advice on being consistent. I am setting on slides on the edge of a creek that fluctuates pretty significantly with rain. I bought a Bridger 5 and am using a drowning wire set I made. First catch was a front foot and I was going for a back foot, got lucky. Haven’t caught anything since but the creek has been flooding on and off and I keep having to reset. I bought a coniber 330 but took it back. Couldn’t get it set. Any ideas or advice. The property is mine and Beavers seem to be a problem for me and my neighbors.

Re: Beaver trapping - 01/14/22 01:38 AM

Active crawl outs, cross overs and runs. 330 under a dive stick in the runs. Placement at crawlouts is critical and make sure the jaws are parallel to travel. You want him stepping between the jaws not over them, as their back foot is really large.
Posted By: Okatuppa

Re: Beaver trapping - 01/17/22 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bowhunter2011
Hi guys I just started researching and attempting to trap beavers and just caught my first one a few weeks ago and I am hooked.

That’s how they get you.
Posted By: Chickenrig

Re: Beaver trapping - 01/18/22 01:17 PM

Bowhunter
You need a set of trap setters for those 330’s
Sho does make it alot easier
Good luck

Re: Beaver trapping - 01/19/22 04:09 AM

I’ll look into those setters
Would I use a coniber anywhere other than a dam??

Re: Beaver trapping - 01/20/22 04:47 AM

Yes, on channels, runs and crawl outs to name a few

Re: Beaver trapping - 01/21/22 03:26 AM

I’ve only been setting on a slide the dam isn’t on me but they are coming up in my fields and eating but I only have 1 set right now and I’m worried I’m going to catch a deer or something

Re: Beaver trapping - 01/22/22 02:08 PM

Shot one hunting this morning! Almost as fun as trapping
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Beaver trapping - 01/22/22 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
It's too bad the anti-trappers have outlawed all the stuff that works. You would be stacking them like cord wood simply using a 330 in their trail. They ain't that smart and easy to catch under certain methods.

Just put the trap where they leave the water... The trails here coming off the river look like deer trails the banks cut up so much
© 2024 ALDEER.COM