Aldeer.com

Need information

Posted By: BayedUp

Need information - 03/07/21 04:12 AM

Most of my woods time when Deer and Turkey season isn’t in is spent catching hogs so I have access to a lot of land. I have recently had a couple land owners ask me if I would be interested in trapping for them also. I’ve ran Dp traps for years but I’ve never really had much experience with trapping coyotes, bobcats, otters, and beavers. Therefore I don’t have many traps other than dp’s. It’s a pretty good drive for me so I definitely want to set enough traps to make the most of my trip. I’m gonna order some more traps and equipment but before I do I wanted to see what some of you more experienced trappers think would be a good number of traps and make sure I’m not overlooking some equipment that I may need.

Property Details- 3 different locations all close to each other. They total up to just shy of 5,000 acres. Mostly swamp bottom with a small portion of high ground pine thicket.

Equipment I Have- Dirt sifter, quick links, hand tools, gloves, waders, 36 - dp traps all with 18” rebar stakes, 2 - 220 conibears, 3 - duke #4, and 1 - duke #1.5

What kind of traps and how many of each would you recommend? Price doesn’t matter but I will be doing this mostly when I’m on nightshift so I will have ideally around 4.5 hours to check and reset traps. Everything is easily accessed by ranger so traveling to and from each set won’t be much waisted time. I just don’t want to buy more than I realistically have time to run.

Also if you think of any other equipment that I need let me know. Thanks.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Need information - 03/07/21 12:25 PM

The new Duke 550 pro work just as well as MB550 and are a few bucks cheaper. I personally use wolf fang anchors. Buy a quality driver for them. Tom Stalker makes a damn good one.

Not a fan of rebar stakes except for water traps, either 330 or drowning rods. My favorite set is a Bridger #5 on drowning rod. A lot of people catch beaver in exposed 330's but I usually don't have many that are that dumb. Most 330 catches I get are under a dive stick.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Need information - 03/07/21 06:33 PM

Bayedup - PollWoll and Deadeye are good among others on here - if you look back on this thread you will see Ton of info on trapping from PollWoll and think Deadeye gives some - lady in here pretty good too

I also got lot of details on googling how to catch coyote from dirt hole set - Casey Shoopman has some good stuff out there

I only been doing coyote for about 6 months so I will let some of the other veterans speak up - good luck
Posted By: velvet tines

Re: Need information - 03/15/21 01:39 AM

i like the mb550's - no adjustment to them. i bought the offset 2 coil and cut the ends to 1/2". the most i have had set on 500ish acres was 10. not all of the land was easily accessible but, i caught a bunch with just a few traps.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM