Aldeer.com

Avoiding raccoons in trap.

Posted By: Broadhead26

Avoiding raccoons in trap. - 01/29/21 02:09 AM

Anyway to avoid coons in a foothold trap?

Bought a few traps, wax, and dye. Gonna try to get a few coyotes since they’ve killed out goats, neighbors dog, etc.
I’ve got a ton of coons back there, but would like to avoid them if I can since they don’t cause us any issues. No point in killing it if it’s not causing any trouble.

I was gonna go snare, but they seemed a bit harder to set and be successful
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: Avoiding raccoons in trap. - 01/29/21 03:18 AM

If you like Turkeys you need to kill the coons too.And don't set any snares, I dont believe they are legal in Alabama unless they are submerged

Re: Avoiding raccoons in trap. - 01/29/21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by BuckRidge17
If you like Turkeys you need to kill the coons too.And don't set any snares, I dont believe they are legal in Alabama unless they are submerged

Good point. I get the occasional turkey behind the house, but it’s about 1-2 pics a year during the spring so I don’t have high hopes to ever get a sizable population. Especially with how much hunting pressure we get behind out place.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Avoiding raccoons in trap. - 01/29/21 06:02 PM

You could just go ahead and get some DP traps and use them on coons. Kill the coons then use them as bait too.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Avoiding raccoons in trap. - 01/30/21 04:44 AM

Coons are not going to make good coyote bait. Fresh beaver or bobcat is a different story.

Snares are only legal in water sets. Don't have to be submerged, just in water.

Re: Avoiding raccoons in trap. - 01/31/21 01:14 AM

I set it up with some deer meat as bait. Got the coon walking all over it, but haven’t caught anything. Gonna set the second one in the same area. I have my cell trail cam on it so I’m looking forward to see all what happens with it.

It’s all creek bottom so I’d be fairly easy to set a snare if that’s the only legal way, but we’ll see how the footholds work first.
Posted By: TensawRiver

Re: Avoiding raccoons in trap. - 02/05/21 07:39 PM

In Alabama when trapping "any" fur bearing animal a person has to carry a "choke stick, catch pole". So with that said in order for you to be legal you must carry the choke stick so if you catch a coon, someone's dog or whatever you can safely remove and release........Problem solved!

Re: Avoiding raccoons in trap. - 02/06/21 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by TensawRiver
In Alabama when trapping "any" fur bearing animal a person has to carry a "choke stick, catch pole". So with that said in order for you to be legal you must carry the choke stick so if you catch a coon, someone's dog or whatever you can safely remove and release........Problem solved!

I have the metal frame from an old “for sale sign” for the job. Caught a possum the other day and I just staked its head down so I had my hands free to let it go.

I think I was just under the impression that you’d break the animals leg 100% of the time it hit the trap, but I’m starting to realize that’s not the case. Creeks swollen from the rain and I about flooded my waders crossing to let the possum go, so I’m taking a break til the water goes down alittle.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM