Aldeer.com

Crawfish traps?

Posted By: jaredhunts

Crawfish traps? - 03/05/20 02:02 AM

Anybody making them or selling them? The pillow traps look to be the best. I've got a few places I want to try out. What kind of bait would be best for this?
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Crawfish traps? - 03/06/20 04:37 AM

Chicken leg with some meat on it. And you gotta hang it in middle of the trap where they have to crawl in to get it and can’t grab it from the outside.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Crawfish traps? - 03/06/20 12:45 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Crawfish traps? - 03/06/20 01:58 PM

When we were raising and selling them we used range cubes from the feed store to bait traps with. You just have to make sure the pellets you get do not contain urea or you'll have a bunch of dead crawfish.
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Crawfish traps? - 04/30/20 01:01 AM

Beef melt is some of the best, if not the best bait for crawfish.
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Crawfish traps? - 05/06/20 08:46 PM

Traps? We used to just seine the ditches in south Ga. Great fish bait for Warmouth Perch in the Okefenokee.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Crawfish traps? - 05/07/20 12:49 AM

Curious, what's a "warmouth perch?"
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Crawfish traps? - 05/07/20 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

It’s in the Sunfish family. Locally, some folks call them the goggle eye perch, strawberry perch, molly.
Picture the head of a largemouth bass on the body of a crappie or large shell cracker. The cypress knots of the Okefenokee are their favorite haunts. I think the world record is just under 2.5 lbs.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Crawfish traps? - 05/07/20 02:30 PM

Oh, a goggle eye. Gotcha.

I've just never heard them called perch, which is what I associate with northern panfish.

Caught a goggle eye the other evening when it hit a 4-inch swimbait. They're fun.
Posted By: TensawRiver

Re: Crawfish traps? - 05/15/20 08:38 PM

I made my own out of Hardware Cloth wire that I bought from Lowes. Also used those little cage clips to build it with. For attaching the funnels I just used plastic wire ties. I made small bait boxes from the same hardware cloth to hang about center ways in the trap. I made escape proof ends from the hardware cloth and installed on the point of the funnels as well. I found that many will escape after eating their fill if the point end of the funnel is just left bare. For bait all I use is shad that I net from the river. It is super oily and will carry through the water for along distance.

I've had great success in the river swamp down here in my area through the years. I've had them for many years and learned about making them from a member that was here some years ago and also from an old website that I had stumbled across. I catch enough to eat and fish with whenever I get at it.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Crawfish traps? - 05/16/20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Clem

I know a foul mouth Perch. 😂
Posted By: Slim1026

Re: Crawfish traps? - 06/10/20 01:30 AM

You can use a regular minnow trap. I catch a bunch. Just put some meat in it and throw it in a creek.
Posted By: Rutabaga

Re: Crawfish traps? - 07/10/20 08:46 PM

Google Memphis Twin and Net company, they got what you want.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Crawfish traps? - 07/10/20 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by TensawRiver
I made my own out of Hardware Cloth wire that I bought from Lowes. Also used those little cage clips to build it with. For attaching the funnels I just used plastic wire ties. I made small bait boxes from the same hardware cloth to hang about center ways in the trap. I made escape proof ends from the hardware cloth and installed on the point of the funnels as well. I found that many will escape after eating their fill if the point end of the funnel is just left bare. For bait all I use is shad that I net from the river. It is super oily and will carry through the water for along distance.

I've had great success in the river swamp down here in my area through the years. I've had them for many years and learned about making them from a member that was here some years ago and also from an old website that I had stumbled across. I catch enough to eat and fish with whenever I get at it.

Same way we make them. Set my brother's traps out yesterday, will pick them up in the morning. We baited with Red Horse suckers and chicken, this time.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Crawfish traps? - 07/11/20 03:37 PM

Did pretty good on that set. 18 traps brought an average of about a couple dozen per trap. Would've been more but we had a half dozen or so that sirens got into, and I'm sure they ate a bunch before they croaked. Didn't seem to be much difference between the Red Horse and the chicken...both were good producers, this trip.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Crawfish traps? - 07/15/20 11:22 PM

What is a siren?
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Crawfish traps? - 07/16/20 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Geno
What is a siren?

Kinda like a salamander.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM