Aldeer.com

Best racoon bait

Posted By: blumsden

Best racoon bait - 02/12/20 01:06 PM

I have 3 live traps that I trap with. I usually use sardines, but catch a lot of opossums. I know I need to get some leg hold traps, and plan to, but is there a better bait for coons? Does anyone use eggs?
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/12/20 01:08 PM

I just use table scrapes in live trap.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/12/20 01:23 PM

For live traps I use peanut butter spread on a piece of bread. Put it on the ground and set the trap on top of it, with the bread under the trigger. Put something heavy on top of the trap
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/12/20 01:24 PM

My GoTo is Surfin & Turfin cat food
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/12/20 07:31 PM

tuna fish, marshmallows
Posted By: quailman

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/12/20 08:23 PM

Marshmallows..
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/12/20 08:56 PM

x2 on the dry cat food. I'll squirt a little fish oil on it too
Posted By: Ryano

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/15/20 02:48 AM

Sweets will get the coons and cut down on possums. Honey buns are hard to beat.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/15/20 02:52 AM

Honey buns now. something ants wont eat in the summer.
Posted By: rst87

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/15/20 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by PaintRock0
Honey buns now. something ants wont eat in the summer.

Yep. Sardines 50/50 chance it’s going to be a possum
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/15/20 01:53 PM

I’ve heard marshmallows or small pieces of sponge dipped in bacon grease.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/15/20 04:21 PM

I've caught them on peppermints still in the wrapper in DP traps.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/17/20 01:55 PM

Set out 3 traps Saturday night. I put a combo of sardines and marshmallows in all 3. Caught 2 coons that night, so we will see.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/17/20 08:43 PM

Marshmallows and gummie bears have always worked good for me. Sprinkle a few outside the trap and then lead them to it.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/18/20 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by deadeye48
My GoTo is Surfin & Turfin cat food

Best thing I've found too. And the fireants don't seem to bother it.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/19/20 02:16 AM

I was going to say any brand of wet cat food.
Posted By: GmeHunter

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/19/20 03:38 AM

Mini-marshmallows with anise extract poured on it. I caught four last weekend. Ants will run to it so make sure to refresh bait every night.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/19/20 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Skinny
I was going to say any brand of wet cat food.

No, dry cat food. Surf n turf is dry food.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/19/20 01:23 PM

Forgot to add, my dad tears them up on dry cat food as well but he also puts a couple gummy lifesavers on the trigger of the DP trap to give them something textured to grab hold of and try to pull out.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/19/20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
Forgot to add, my dad tears them up on dry cat food as well but he also puts a couple gummy lifesavers on the trigger of the DP trap to give them something textured to grab hold of and try to pull out.

That’s good thinkin. Gonna try it
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/22/20 12:51 AM

Walker hound, red tick... etc
Posted By: Madmax0818

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/24/20 01:08 AM

Grew up using grape jelly and grape bubble gum
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Best racoon bait - 02/24/20 05:15 PM

I didn't read this whole thread but wanted to add I tried those Coon Grabber baits and they appear to be working well, no mess and I re-used some, etc.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Best racoon bait - 03/21/20 04:21 PM

Take a piece of good foam....like comes out of a couch cushion or something...and cut it into a small cube. Put a small slit in the middle and push it onto the trigger of your DP traps. Then just pour a little bacon grease on it or some fish oil. This is an easy way to catch them that doesn't attract a bunch of ants I also put a little corn in the bottom of the trap just in case they need to reach in more than once to get caught.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Best racoon bait - 03/21/20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

I didn't read this whole thread but wanted to add I tried those Coon Grabber baits and they appear to be working well, no mess and I re-used some, etc.

I just started using the coon grabbers in my DP traps. Had 6 traps out for 2 nights now and have caught 2 coons on them. Probably about average catch rate, but the nice thing is if it's not set off, I just keep on going by it, no need to rebait. And the ones that did catch, I just reset it and done. One of the coons had both front legs trapped in it trying to get to that Coon Grabber bait. Did have a trap somehow get triggered but didn't get the coon and he obviously sat there and tried like hell to get that Coon Grabber out of there, came close and ripped it up a bit, but I just poked it on back down with the set tool and set it back.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Best racoon bait - 03/22/20 07:05 PM

Before they get educated, put a couple dozen or more traps spread out in a quarter acre area around a deer feeder that only has a few days of food left in it. Bait traps full every couple days but don't set the trigger. A week later, once the deer feeder has been out for several days, set the traps and fill half way. You will catch way more coons like this than putting a few here and a few there and letting them get smart. If ants are giving you problems, spray a strong solution of permethrin around the traps. Kind of like pigs, need to take care of as many as possible at one time then move to another spot.
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Best racoon bait - 03/22/20 09:24 PM

1/3 bacon greas, 1/3 fish menhaydeen oil 1/3 honey or fake maple syurp
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Best racoon bait - 03/24/20 10:16 PM

Cheap cat food works good
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Best racoon bait - 03/29/20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by quailman
Marshmallows..

^^^^^^
© 2024 ALDEER.COM