Aldeer.com

Couple of rookie coon trapping questions

Posted By: hallb

Couple of rookie coon trapping questions - 02/04/20 07:04 PM

First question is, b/c of feeding corn for deer this year, I've just been setting my traps nearby those areas. When I stop feeding thru turkey season, how do you choose your locations for setting traps? Just keep them in the same areas?

Second question is, I'm using Duke DP traps. Sometimes I may only get up there for a weekend and I still want to run the traps. Can you leave the traps out unset that way all I have to do is go by and bait and set them? Or would they not do good in the weather being out the whole time? They are powder coated models I'm using.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Couple of rookie coon trapping questions - 02/05/20 05:36 AM

Don't you have cameras on the feeders?

If so, I'd leave the traps in the area until the # of coons on cameras at each feeder are caught.
If feeders are close, it may be the same coons using the different feeders.

It won't hurt to leave the traps out if they are not set.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Couple of rookie coon trapping questions - 02/05/20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by BOFF
Don't you have cameras on the feeders?

If so, I'd leave the traps in the area until the # of coons on cameras at each feeder are caught.
If feeders are close, it may be the same coons using the different feeders.

It won't hurt to leave the traps out if they are not set.

God Bless,
David B.

I have cameras on some feeders and not on others. So yeah, I know when the feeders are a good place to have them out. I was just asking about when I'm no long running the feeders anymore, how do you pick a spot where coons will frequent? Near water, along trails, just keep them near the feeders anyways?
Posted By: k bush

Re: Couple of rookie coon trapping questions - 02/05/20 08:55 PM

Culverts, ridge tops, etc. Look for tracks.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM