Aldeer.com

Squirrel setup

Posted By: Huntn2feed5

Squirrel setup - 01/26/20 06:46 PM

My son enjoys going in the backyard and calling for squirrels. I was wondering what is you best squirrel set up gun wise?
Posted By: Semo

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/26/20 07:13 PM

Depends what they are feeding on and where you are. I like a 22 but in populated areas I don't like shooting in the air. I have a double barrel 410 with #6 shot when I know I can get close on ridges. My favorite time to hunt is when they are on hickories and pecans but you can't reach those with a 410 so I like a 20 gauge (#4s) and if I'm hunting with really tall timber I'll use a 12 gauge (#4s). I only hunt with full chokes and heavy loads.

Marlin model 60 with 3x9 simmons-now I tend to use CCI hollow points.

Stevens 410 side by side-#6-hunt ridges (shorter trees)
Remington model 11 20 full #4or #6
Browning A-5 12 28 inch full #4 (when they are high in the poplars and hickories)

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/26/20 07:54 PM

Thanks for the info.. very helpful
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/26/20 10:38 PM

Ruger American 22lr though rarely use anymore because there's to many house around.
New England Firearms 20ga with high brass #6 modified choke
Remington 870 Wingmaster 30" full choke with high brass #6

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/26/20 11:01 PM

If you are going to think about using a 12 or even a 20 with 4's or 6's you need to know that unless they are far away you have to aim off. Otherwise you'll be ruining all the meat. Takes some time to get used to how far to hold in front for the distance but once you get used to it you'll find that you won't ruin much meat. Better to miss a few than shoot the heck out of them and have to pitch them.

By doing this you will miss every once and a while, but my grandmother used to explain her close misses as "I held at the tip of his nose, but his nose wasn't as long as I thought it was."
Posted By: jb20

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/27/20 03:13 AM

I like a 20gage in hand 22mag rifle with scope on my back n 22 pistol on my side...i prefer the pistol cuz i get more satisfaction when i kill one with it but it ain't as often

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/27/20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by jb20
I like a 20gage in hand 22mag rifle with scope on my back n 22 pistol on my side...i prefer the pistol cuz i get more satisfaction when i kill one with it but it ain't as often

You're one scary looking dude in the squirrel woods. Do you smoke a cigar and say things like "I love it when a plan comes together" too?
Posted By: jb20

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/27/20 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Semo
Originally Posted by jb20

You're one scary looking dude in the squirrel woods. Do you smoke a cigar and say things like "I love it when a plan comes together" too?

I always loved Rambo 😃....when it's for money it's straight 12guage number 5s... no playing around
Posted By: Reno

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/27/20 03:49 AM

I hunt with a dog but I use 12 guage with #6s and a turkey choke.. it'll knock em out of the tallest of pines
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/27/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Huntn2feed5
My son enjoys going in the backyard and calling for squirrels. I was wondering what is you best squirrel set up gun wise?

What sorta call does he use?

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/28/20 01:38 PM

He has a squirrel whistle ( I think that’s what it’s called)

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/28/20 01:41 PM

I know absolutely nothing about squirrel hunting.. he absolutely loves it though.. I think being grounded from his PS 4 makes him love it even more
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/28/20 05:03 PM

Getting away from video games is a good thing!

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/28/20 07:05 PM

As a kid, I killed countless squirrels with a Crossman BB/pellet rifle.
Got to where I could take one out with a BB with a single shot.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Squirrel setup - 01/30/20 07:23 AM

Ithaca Model 49 .22 single shot and a pocketful of ammo
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: Squirrel setup - 02/01/20 04:11 PM

Me and my brother started out with 410 shot guns when we was kids to squirrel hunt with then later on went to 12 gauge and for the last 13yrs we've both been using 17hmr with 17gr. Polymer tip. And just shoot head shots. That bullet doesn't exit it kinda explodes and with head shots doesn't ruin the squirrel. We use a primos bark call when we squirrel hunt.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM