Aldeer.com

Trapping requirements

Posted By: Trevor

Trapping requirements - 10/29/19 08:17 PM

Other than a license are there any other requirements to trap in Alabama? I went to a workshop on trapping in another state a while ago and there they needed to tag each trap with there name and ID#. I looked on outdoor Alabama and didn't see anything like that, but better safe than sorry.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Trapping requirements - 10/29/19 08:24 PM

Tags on traps (even dogproofs), catch pole. .22 or smaller rimfire if dispatching by shooting. License only needed if selling furbearers or trapping for others. Max jaw spread 6" on land sets. Snares in water only.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Trapping requirements - 10/29/19 08:39 PM

Gets a lil complicated if your just wanting to "Dabble" in trapping to see how
you like it. And they want to put you in jail for putting one in a culvert under
a road. Conibears in water only too, the way I read it.
I've got bucket full of 110's but gave up last year.

Re: Trapping requirements - 10/29/19 09:00 PM

Yeah sometimes outdoor Alabama can be a bit short on info and it's almost misleading. I'm hoping since it's on my own land and I'm not selling the firs I won't have any issues though. Do you just need to put your name on the tag?
Posted By: Stob

Re: Trapping requirements - 10/29/19 09:27 PM

I may be wrong, but I was thinking address too. Maybe conservation ID # ???

Re: Trapping requirements - 10/29/19 11:23 PM

Ok thanks!
Posted By: k bush

Re: Trapping requirements - 10/30/19 12:07 AM

I am pretty positive they changed it last year to allow conservation ID or address on the trap tags. You can get the cheap write your own, order stamped copper tags or make your own,
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Trapping requirements - 10/30/19 01:13 PM

I'm pretty sure you don't have to buy a trapping license if you're not selling the fur. I may be wrong. I always bought mine but I was also fleshing and selling.

Re: Trapping requirements - 10/30/19 06:52 PM

Yeah after a bit more googling I found a PDF with the 2018 regs. I don't need to buy a licence, and k bush was spot on with the catch pole and .22. The way the regs have the tags listed seems like they're also just for commercial trapping, but for the few mins it'll take me to make a few I'll have them just to be safe. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it!
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Trapping requirements - 10/30/19 10:14 PM

you also have to check your traps at least every 24 hours
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Trapping requirements - 10/31/19 03:11 PM

Do you have to have tags on dog proofs or just jawed traps? And is it name and ID # or name and address, or name and phone number? I've been told different by different people. Thanks

Re: Trapping requirements - 10/31/19 04:07 PM

The PDF I found didn't specify the type of trap so I'd imagine you'd need them on both. It just said name and address, they may have added name and ID since it was put out but either should still be acceptable.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM