Aldeer.com

Increase in raccoons?

Posted By: Coosa1

Increase in raccoons? - 05/06/19 03:54 PM

My dad and I try to hit the coons pretty hard between deer and turkey season and then again right after turkey season while the hens are nesting. Off of one 200 acre tract we took out 14 in the entire month of February. Dad reset the traps a week ago and is up to 16 in a week already. What do you suppose is the driving force behind this increase in raccoon activity? On the move looking for nesting hens?
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Increase in raccoons? - 05/06/19 04:02 PM

No clue, but that's a lot of coons.

Re: Increase in raccoons? - 05/06/19 04:06 PM

Actually now that I'm thinking about it....I wonder if it has to do with deer season being over and nobody is feeding corn now so they're having to get out and look for food and not just sitting at a feeder filling up all night.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Increase in raccoons? - 05/07/19 01:38 AM

Females have been denned up with babies.....I can't remember the exact dates but females give birth in the spring and then stay denned up for a while without doing a whole lot of moving and feeding.....Once the babies reach a certain age then they venture back out.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Increase in raccoons? - 05/07/19 01:52 AM

I dont know if it's an increase but I've got a healthy population of them. I'm about to give them hell this Fall. I should've done it before this Spring but didnt make time to do it.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Increase in raccoons? - 05/22/19 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Females have been denned up with babies.....I can't remember the exact dates but females give birth in the spring and then stay denned up for a while without doing a whole lot of moving and feeding.....Once the babies reach a certain age then they venture back out.

Killed a momma and 3 babies yesterday.
Damn egg sucking thieves.

Re: Increase in raccoons? - 05/22/19 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
Originally Posted by CNC

Kill em all
Posted By: CNC

Re: Increase in raccoons? - 05/23/19 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Out back
Originally Posted by CNC

Y'all kill some for me this year....I'm slipping and not running my sets. I'll be back after them if ever get this damn porch project finished up.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Increase in raccoons? - 05/25/19 01:57 AM

Got 4 with sardines in DP’s last Friday night none Saturday night. Just put out right before dark mini marshmallows and sprinkled with corn. Hope to snag some and catch a coyote sniffing around them in the morning.

Re: Increase in raccoons? - 05/26/19 02:29 AM

Got one and rebaited with marshmallows will try sardines again tomorrow. $.88 a tin with 8 in a tin puts 2 in each of four DP traps. Pour the oil over the springs and trigger.

Re: Increase in raccoons? - 05/28/19 02:23 AM

Total of 2 this weekend.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM