Aldeer.com

Where to Trap on Public Land?

Posted By: Madd

Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/10/19 04:47 PM

I know furbearer trapping season is over, but the regulations say there is no closed season on Coyotes, beaver, coons, opossum, etc. Where am I allowed to trap these animals on public land? Or is it only private? WMAs? national forests? AM I allowed to trap off of highways, or other "public" land that isn't generally used for hunting? I'm near Birmingham and looking to get into it if there is anywhere close I can go. Thanks.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/11/19 01:32 AM

You can probably find private land owners willing to let you trap their properties. Most folks I know want to get rid of predators but dont have time to do it. Are you an experienced trapper?
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/11/19 02:09 AM

no damn where on public land
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/11/19 01:12 PM

You can trap on most WMA's, you just have to get a permit from the area biologist. I trapped a bunch of foxes and bobcats off of Coosa WMA in high school.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/11/19 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
You can probably find private land owners willing to let you trap their properties. Most folks I know want to get rid of predators but dont have time to do it. Are you an experienced trapper?

I'd definitely try this, over public.
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/12/19 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb
no damn where on public land
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/12/19 03:09 PM

I've never had an issue trapping public land, except for one missing critter from a trap that was set right off the main road on the WMA. It's really not that bad
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/13/19 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Madd
I know furbearer trapping season is over, but the regulations say there is no closed season on Coyotes, beaver, coons, opossum, etc. Where am I allowed to trap these animals on public land? Or is it only private? WMAs? national forests? AM I allowed to trap off of highways, or other "public" land that isn't generally used for hunting? I'm near Birmingham and looking to get into it if there is anywhere close I can go. Thanks.

I got a place close to Bham if you’re interested. I’ll turn you loose on it! Good fishing too.
Pm me if you’re interested.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/13/19 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Johnal3

I got a place close to Bham if you’re interested. I’ll turn you loose on it! Good fishing too.

Make sure it's after turkey season, I don't want to step on any traps.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/13/19 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by 3toe

Other than some damage to your underwear I wouldn't expect any real issues on stepping in a trap. Heck, I got two fingers in a 4 coiled Bridger #5 beaver trap (not a conibear) a couple of weeks ago with barely a bruise. Conibear's are a whole different game.
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/14/19 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by k bush
Originally Posted by 3toe

Other than some damage to your underwear I wouldn't expect any real issues on stepping in a trap. Heck, I got two fingers in a 4 coiled Bridger #5 beaver trap (not a conibear) a couple of weeks ago with barely a bruise. Conibear's are a whole different game.

His arse better make sure he gets out before I come through there though!
Posted By: BREEZE1

Re: Where to Trap on Public Land? - 04/15/19 06:11 PM

I think you can trap on WMAs but not sure about outside of normal season. Like hunting hogs in summer. But I do think your more liable if you catch a dog or something and happen to break or hurt its leg.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM