Aldeer.com

How many?

Posted By: jdfarm23

How many? - 04/05/19 02:00 AM

Is there any rule of thumb on how many coons or possums there are per 100 acres or square mile or anything like that? I’ve caught 21 on about 200 acres in the past 2 or 3 weeks and was wondering if I have even put a dent in them.
Posted By: North40R

Re: How many? - 04/06/19 04:59 PM

A lot! Every one you kill 2 will show up to replace it the first couple years.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: How many? - 04/07/19 01:33 AM

We killed 10-15 coons every year and the same or more possums every year for the last 2-3 years. This year we killed 8-10 coons and 10-15 possums this is on 40 acres but the neighboring 80 isn’t showing much sign now either. Hopefully we are finally thinning them out.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: How many? - 04/07/19 08:36 PM

I had no idea how far those guys roam. From what I’ve been reading they have a huge home range. So it probably does take a while before you can really kill enough to make difference. I’m up to 24 now, so maybe I will have saved at least one or two turkey nests
Posted By: Stob

Re: How many? - 04/08/19 01:56 AM

I swear we have more Raccoons than squirrels at our place.
Posted By: augasman

Re: How many? - 05/05/19 04:39 PM

I've read about 60 coons per square mile and as many as 200 possums. Can't remember where I read it though
Posted By: CNC

Re: How many? - 05/06/19 02:06 AM

I'd say its completely site specific....it's gonna depend on the habitat type available and the amount of it. I trap in one spot here at the house and caught over 20 for two straight years. I trapped for several weeks each time. The one spot I'm trapping though is located along a main drainage that would cover hundreds of acres.. One thing I noticed was that over time I started only catching small juvenile coons. This led me to believe that I trapped out al the resident coons around me and had started catching young roaming coons looking for a new home. I figure main drainages is likely what young coons use to disperse
© 2024 ALDEER.COM