Aldeer.com

Trapping During Turkey Season

Posted By: Gobble4me757

Trapping During Turkey Season - 02/14/19 04:24 AM

We started trapping with y'alls help this week and have gotten 6 coons and 3 opossums. Pretty decent so far but many more to go. Do y'all continue running traps during turkey season? If so, does it spook turkeys much/all the driving through the property isn't ideal and all...what are y'alls opinions on the matter? Thanks!

Tiler
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Trapping During Turkey Season - 02/16/19 03:12 PM

I’ve been wondering the same thing. My dad has been running our dogproofs this week and is racking up the coons and possums. I hope it’s not affecting my turkeys too bad.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Trapping During Turkey Season - 02/16/19 06:32 PM

I'm done until season is over. I want the roads and woods to settle down now.

Re: Trapping During Turkey Season - 02/18/19 11:06 PM

Yeah we moved the traps to where we typically don't see too many turkeys and all, but with us only catching 11/12 or so critters, I doubt we would see an improvement in the turkey population. Coosa and North40R, would trapping so little improve it much at all based on y'alls experience? When do y'all start trapping the coons and all because we are deer huntin till the last weekend and don't want to hurt the deer hunting and all?
Posted By: North40R

Re: Trapping During Turkey Season - 02/18/19 11:24 PM

I do the majority of my trapping during deer season. That's mostly when folks call and need me to trap and it's about the only time the weather is cool enough for my liking.

If you're trapping for predator management to increase game populations there isn't a wrong time to put traps out. If you want to help increase nest success trap your coons and other nest predators hard now. If you're trying to help fawns trap your coyotes in June, July, August and September. You aren't going to eradicate predators, you're trying to reduce the population of predators in an area at the right time giving your young game time to mature.

My schedule dictates when I can put out a big line of traps but if I'm off a weekend and have seen sign on our place I'll make a couple sets no matter what time of the year.

Re: Trapping During Turkey Season - 02/19/19 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by North40R
I do the majority of my trapping during deer season. That's mostly when folks call and need me to trap and it's about the only time the weather is cool enough for my liking.

If you're trapping for predator management to increase game populations there isn't a wrong time to put traps out. If you want to help increase nest success trap your coons and other nest predators hard now. If you're trying to help fawns trap your coyotes in June, July, August and September. You aren't going to eradicate predators, you're trying to reduce the population of predators in an area at the right time giving your young game time to mature.

My schedule dictates when I can put out a big line of traps but if I'm off a weekend and have seen sign on our place I'll make a couple sets no matter what time of the year.

Great info! Thanks for the help! I am definitely new at this but learn quick! Thanks!
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Trapping During Turkey Season - 02/19/19 01:38 PM

Yep, I agree 100% with North40. Every coon you can take off the place helps. I usually try to hammer them around the beginning-middle of April but my dad started earlier this year. As for the coyotes, I don't have time to fool with them year round like I want to so I mainly just try to get them around the time of the fawn drop.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM