Aldeer.com

Anyone want to trap a Bobcat?

Posted By: WallyGator0928

Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/14/19 07:20 PM

I’ve been working on getting a few bobcats out of my buddies neighborhood just outside Athens. They’re back now and one is pregnant. The new neighbors don’t want me using my 330s because they let their dogs roam down the road. Anyone have any live traps that’s interested? No live release required obviously unless it’s a neighborhood pet. There’s 4 cats that move through this spot just about daily at 0800 and 1600.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/14/19 08:09 PM

I would read ALL of the state regs on trapping first and foremost!
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/14/19 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by North40R

Yep ..........

Bobcat and Otter Tagging Requirement 220-2-.30
All bobcat and otter, regardless of method of harvest, are required to be tagged by a representative of the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division within 14 days of harvest or may be left with a taxidermist with a completed tagging form, and the taxidermist is required to have the bobcat or otter tagged within 14 days of receipt.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/14/19 08:22 PM

330s on land is a no-no anyway
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/14/19 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by jmudler

Yep ..........

All bobcat and otter, regardless of method of harvest, are required to be tagged by a representative of the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division within 14 days of harvest or may be left with a taxidermist with a completed tagging form, and the taxidermist is required to have the bobcat or otter tagged within 14 days of receipt.

game warden told me to throw em in the ditch or leave em in the woods he didnt have time to run around tagging cats unless you want to mount it said to thank PETA for that crap.
Posted By: BREEZE1

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/14/19 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly

Yep ..........

game warden told me to throw em in the ditch or leave em in the woods he didnt have time to run around tagging cats unless you want to mount it said to thank PETA for that crap.

I have wondered how many actually call bobcats in.
Posted By: charlie

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/14/19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by BREEZE1

Yep ..........

I have wondered how many actually call bobcats in.

I guestimate 10% or less get tagged.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/14/19 11:00 PM

Wonder how many get accidentally caught .......whistling again

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/15/19 12:55 AM

I’ve tagged every bobcat I’ve taken since the requirement has been up. Glad I didn’t use the 330s because I wasn’t aware you couldn’t use them on land. Looks like I’ll have to get a live trap to help them out. Oh well, appreciate the heads up fellas

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/15/19 02:39 AM

You might be able to get them in a live trap if they are living around houses and such but I have never had luck with live traps on bobcats. It's nothing to catch coons and possums in one, even had a coyote get in one and tear it to pieces but never a bobcat for me. It can be done, I know some states only allow cage traps, but I am sure it's not as productive as footholds. Good luck on it.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/15/19 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by charlie
You might be able to get them in a live trap if they are living around houses and such but I have never had luck with live traps on bobcats. It's nothing to catch coons and possums in one, even had a coyote get in one and tear it to pieces but never a bobcat for me. It can be done, I know some states only allow cage traps, but I am sure it's not as productive as footholds. Good luck on it.

a foothold is a live trap
Posted By: jb20

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/15/19 02:16 PM

I know a guy that has fed one for couple years and when he shakes his metal can the cat will be on the side of the porch waiting lol
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/15/19 03:06 PM

Which side of Athens?

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/15/19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by charlie

a foothold is a live trap

Yes it is. In general people call cage traps live traps. I just assumed that's what he meant. I could be wrong though.

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/15/19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by AU coonhunter
Which side of Athens?

South of 72 and North of Brownsferry just off mooresville

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/15/19 06:50 PM

Would they let someone run legholds for a few days?
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/15/19 07:14 PM

330s are illegal in Bama on land.

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/15/19 07:34 PM

Absolutely, just not discharge a firearm to dispatch the animal right there it’s really close to houses. I’m not a trapper so if you have some other method of dispatch that’s awesome.

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/15/19 08:55 PM

Check your blinky envelope.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/16/19 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by WallyGator0928

Absolutely, just not discharge a firearm to dispatch the animal right there it’s really close to houses. I’m not a trapper so if you have some other method of dispatch that’s awesome.

A box of .22 quiets would solve this problem.

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/16/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 3toe
Originally Posted by WallyGator0928

A box of .22 quiets would solve this problem.

I have an even quieter solution lol.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/21/19 03:28 PM

Just choke them out with your catch pole. Quick and FUN😁
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/21/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lonster

I wouldn't call choking the life out of an animal "fun", it is effective but fun is not the word for it especially on a public forum.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Anyone want to trap a Bobcat? - 01/25/19 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
Originally Posted by Lonster

I wouldn't call choking the life out of an animal "fun", it is effective but fun is not the word for it especially on a public forum.

To each his own. For me it’s like having a 50lb. bass on the end of the line.the end result is the same, a dead animal. I also prefer to kill deer with a bow, some say that isn’t humane.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM