Aldeer.com

best coon bait for DP trap?

Posted By: GKelly

best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/08/19 12:17 AM

what's everybody had the most success with I just became the owner of about 2 dozen coon traps and am going to start trying to put a hurting on them after deer season I know I've heard marshmallows or sardines but anybody mix up anything they like to use? I'm thinking of experimenting with some old sardines mushed up with some cherry Koolaid maybe a few eggs let it sit out a day or two then freeze it in small jars so I've always got some fresh ready to go
Posted By: k bush

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/08/19 12:52 AM

Marshmallow on or under the trigger. I use floating fish pellets and top with a variety of lures. Cheap versions would be vanilla or anise flavoring.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/08/19 12:35 PM

I'm using peppermint in my traps, seems to work well. Mini marshmallows work well, but ants like them too . Cheap dry cat food outside the trap. I've been told by a feller that's rough on them to mix bacon grease with your cat food. I'm gonna try that .
Posted By: High_Voltage

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/08/19 02:07 PM

I just fill up a sandwich bag of the cats food mix and hand full of corn with it and put a 10-12 pieces in each trap. Works for me. If rain is forecast I would try marshmallows.
Posted By: johnv

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/09/19 12:21 AM

I've been using cheap hot dogs cut into small chunks with some fish oil. Working good and they hold up good in the rain.
Posted By: CNC

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/09/19 02:37 AM

A piece of a sponge pushed onto the trigger with some scent on it. Add a few kernels of corn in the bottom for added enticement. It's an ant free set and you won't have many stick their hand in that don't get caught.

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/09/19 03:55 AM

Caught another one on peppermint last night.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/09/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
A piece of a sponge pushed onto the trigger with some scent on it. Add a few kernels of corn in the bottom for added enticement. It's an ant free set and you won't have many stick their hand in that don't get caught.

I've used corn, cat food, sardines, and marshmellows all with decent results. I saw this in an earlier CNC post and tried it, spraying the sponge with fish oil. It works as well as the other baits. One other neat thing about this is you don't have to kneel around or touch the DP to freshen it up. I just shoot it with more fish oil out the truck window. The sponges and spray bottle came from Home Depot. The fish oil came from F&T.
Posted By: AC870

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/10/19 03:05 AM

Just regular old hard peppermint candy that comes I n the plastic wrapper?
Posted By: North40R

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/10/19 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Caught another one on peppermint last night.

I've tried several different lures and always end up back to fish. I'm going to experiment with crushed peppermint mixed with some sweet feed as my base bait. I've got fish oil and peppermint oil to use as trailing scents also.

I've catch 40 to 60 coons a year using fish and marshmallows so I know it works but it is extremely nasty cleaning/washing it out of the traps so I'm trying to find a cleaner alternative.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/10/19 04:05 PM

put out 6 traps around the pond yesterday caught 2 and the bait was stolen from 2 others think it's because the sardines are to easy to break apart they dont actually pull the trigger. when y'all use marshmallows do you use the big or small ones and do you need a scent to help em find it? I might try the sponge and fish oil thing that sounds like a good idea.
Posted By: k bush

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/10/19 11:11 PM

I just use the big ones, either speared on the trigger or under it. Ive done whole and half but dont bother to cut anymore

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/11/19 12:35 AM

Just mixed up my bait concoction and it sure smells good. Got 2 dozen of the No BS dp traps in yesterday so I'll be setting coon traps tomorrow.

Got a job to set tomorrow for coyotes, coon and beaver. Headed to the shop now to prep a few traps.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/11/19 09:03 PM

I get fish in a pouch from Aldi and/or cat food.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/20/19 04:27 AM

Honey bun pieces.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/20/19 12:45 PM

Purina surfin and turfin dry cat food. Has a very strong fish odor and is cheap. It'll bring'em outta the woodwork
Posted By: High_Voltage

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 01/31/19 08:40 PM

I use same cat food

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 02/01/19 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by deadeye48
Purina surfin and turfin dry cat food. Has a very strong fish odor and is cheap. It'll bring'em outta the woodwork

That sounds promising , I'm gonna give that stuff a try.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 02/01/19 03:21 AM

Peppermint has been working for me

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 02/01/19 11:56 AM

The peppermint sweet feed mix I tried didn't impress me much. I actually wound up dumping it out of the traps and baiting with marshmallows and a gland lure.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 02/01/19 07:59 PM

honey buns
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 02/09/19 03:37 PM

Marshmallows, cat food, plain ole deer corn, etc...

I do get a bottle of clam juice and put it in a spray bottle. I spray some on the tree or root I have the trap attached too.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: best coon bait for DP trap? - 02/13/19 04:21 AM

Marshmellows have been killer for me. Thanks to elkhunter for the tip on that.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM