Aldeer.com

Dog proof traps

Posted By: mike35549

Dog proof traps - 12/01/18 05:07 AM

Anyone use DP traps around your feeders. If so what what kind do you use and what do you bait them with. Them coons will eat up a ton of feed.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Dog proof traps - 12/01/18 12:10 PM

I researched and decided on Z-traps. They look like a good trap for the $ . I haven't tried them yet , but will soon. Here's a good place to buy , cheaper by the dozen , BTW. Make sure and get a setting tool.

https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Traps/Dog+Proof+Coon+Traps/
Posted By: North40R

Re: Dog proof traps - 12/01/18 12:30 PM

No BS lures K.O. dp trap. $112 a dozen and that includes shipping if I'm reading it right.

I don't know this guy from Adam but every trap of his I've seen so far has been hands down better built than others on the market and they come powder coated with anchors already attached.

I have some of his K9 extreme coyote traps that are absolute tanks compared to other traps!

At deer feeders we've had the most success setting traps on trails coming into the feeders. Bait with fish and mini marshmallows.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Dog proof traps - 12/01/18 04:55 PM

North40 I like that those already have the anchor on them. I would guess you would either need to make or buy a driver for Those. When you get ready to move the trap how do you get those out of the ground. Can you normally just pull them out or do you have to dig them out.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Dog proof traps - 12/01/18 11:27 PM

I use cable tie offs to trees on my DP's. As far as pulling the earth anchors you can get by with a sharpshooter tile spade. I use it and a stake puller I made to pull anchors on my other traps.

The pullers with the rocker bottom look like they'd work really well
Posted By: North40R

Re: Dog proof traps - 12/03/18 12:35 AM

Mike you'll have to dig the anchors up. I use Fox hollow finned super stakes on my coyote traps and I have retrieval cables attached to them, still have to dig some up.

I don't use anchors on my dp traps. I have 8 to 10 feet of chain on each one and anchor them to trees with a quick link.

K I have the FB puller with the rocker bottom and still have to run my auger down beside my anchor chain to pull them. The puller needs a longer radius bend and a longer handle.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Dog proof traps - 12/03/18 04:02 AM

I use a cordless drill and lag bolts with big heads. Bolt straight to a tree or large root. Works great.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Dog proof traps - 12/03/18 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by North40R
Mike you'll have to dig the anchors up. I use Fox hollow finned super stakes on my coyote traps and I have retrieval cables attached to them, still have to dig some up.

I don't use anchors on my dp traps. I have 8 to 10 feet of chain on each one and anchor them to trees with a quick link.

K I have the FB puller with the rocker bottom and still have to run my auger down beside my anchor chain to pull them. The puller needs a longer radius bend and a longer handle.

Hank that's good info on that FB puller. Saved me some money. I have their sifter and it's a beast but I had one of their stake drivers and a hole punch fail miserably. I replaced my stake driver with one by Stalker Fabrications and am very pleased with it.

Guess I'll just keep my puller, looks like it and the auger will handle all of the tough ones to pull.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM