Song dogs - 10/06/18 04:44 PM

#12 in the last 2 weeks

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Song dogs - 10/06/18 10:09 PM

thumbup
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Song dogs - 10/06/18 10:36 PM

Way to put a dent in them. I am ready to get some sets out, but it will be a few more weeks.
Posted By: JBL

Re: Song dogs - 10/08/18 02:08 PM

Nice!
Posted By: BREEZE1

Re: Song dogs - 10/08/18 02:41 PM

Great job.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Song dogs - 10/09/18 05:49 PM

You've definitely put a hurt on them! Good job!
Posted By: turkey_killer

Re: Song dogs - 10/10/18 02:20 AM

For those of you that trap in hot weather, do you still use dirt holes and just put gland lure or something down in it? Or are they scent posts?
Posted By: North40R

Re: Song dogs - 10/10/18 11:33 AM

I use dirt holes in hot weather but will use more flat sets simply for the reason that it's hot and less stress than digging a hole.

Here's an idea to try. I use a 2" auger bit on a cordless drill to make my dirt holes but sometimes I just want less. Find something you want to use as a backer like a flat set, a clump of sage grass, a rock or log end. Instead of just smearing lure on the backer I'll use my anchor driver, either a piece of rebar or a 1/2" piece of coal roll and make a small hole either in my backer or right at the base.

My theory with this set is if a coyote, coon, cat or whatever critter can investigate my set and instantly find the lure or bait and that curiosity is satisfied then they aren't moving around searching. If I can lure them to my set and keep their curiosity by having my lure/bait hidden that keeps feet moving and more likely to find my trap pan.

My favorite hot weather set is the compass set. Quick, easy, no backer, works anywhere you can bed a trap, can be totally hidden from set shy critters and offers 4 options to induce curiosity. No bait means less ants and no backer means I can make the set anywhere without disturbing the natural settings!
Posted By: k bush

Re: Song dogs - 10/10/18 01:21 PM

I'm mostly catching on urine post and dirt holes. I use either an auger bit in a cordless hammer drill or a cut down soil auger that makes a 3" hole.

My flat sets haven't been producing, maybe too much lure ? Usually two holes punched at the base of a clump of grass with lure in each hole. Just dipping a stick in the jar and shoving in the hole. Sometimes use urine on the grass.

Caught number 13 yesterday morning on a dirt hole. Land manager showed me a new spot the day before so I set it and a urine post and hit on the first night. Nothing today but one crapped in front of the remake. I stole his turds to use at another site, I keep the small plastic jars the sonic boom exploding targets come in to collect the coyote turds.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Song dogs - 10/10/18 01:24 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CNC

Re: Song dogs - 10/10/18 03:08 PM

Nice! thumbup

Something I did on my last trapping run was to run a dirt hole and catch the first one. He made your classic dug out circle like they usually do. When I reset it I added a second trap in the circle and then just took some left over pork rib bones that I had smoked and buried a few around the traps about 8 inches deep or so. I kept catching them on that same set over and over.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM