Aldeer.com

SWAG

Posted By: ElkHunter

SWAG - 06/04/18 09:14 PM

Seems like there are lots more coons on hunting properties.

Anyone know of an article anywhere that has put out an estimate on coon populations per acre?
Posted By: Stob

Re: SWAG - 06/04/18 10:04 PM

I'm thinking our little place is right at 12/acre. Absolutely loaded
Posted By: C3SEAST

Re: SWAG - 06/05/18 02:00 AM

Do a search for a study titled: Monitoring Raccoon Rabies In Alabama. My experience over the years has been that, just like coyotes, they tend to concentrate heavily where food sources are easily available. For example, the average per square mile in Southeast Alabama might be 15 or 20, but a heavily managed hunting property with feeders and year round food plots may hold 50 or 60 psm. Just like with hogs, deer feeders are a HUGE attractant.

Re: SWAG - 06/07/18 11:30 AM

Thanks.

They come to my hog traps like locust.
Posted By: BREEZE1

Re: SWAG - 06/08/18 03:29 AM

I saw a thing on down south trappers that said like 60 per square mile but then 300 opossums. Hes a full time trapper and said it sounds about rite from his experience. I would think coons sounds close but wouldn't think near that many opossums.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: SWAG - 07/05/18 12:09 AM

We are over run with them. My parents are losing about 40 cobs of corn per night for the past 3 nights out of their garden. That's off 2 rows of corn about 50 feet long. I went down there at 10:20 last night with a green light and my 22 and no coons were there yet.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: SWAG - 07/05/18 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by C3SEAST
they tend to concentrate heavily where food sources are easily available. For example, the average per square mile in Southeast Alabama might be 15 or 20, but a heavily managed hunting property with feeders and year round food plots may hold 50 or 60 psm. Just like with hogs, deer feeders are a HUGE attractant.

I think St. Andrews State Park, in Panama City, must hold about 5.5 million! They'll hang out of trees over picnic tables and swipe food out of your hands, and the jetties are infested!...steal your bait from beside you in broad daylight while you're fishing.
Posted By: Clem

Re: SWAG - 07/05/18 09:54 PM

Raccoon
No Closed Season

May be hunted daytime or nighttime hours

Private Owned and Leased Lands: No Bag Limit

Open Permit- Public Land: 5 Per Party

No running of dogs during daytime or after 3:00 am during and in areas of spring turkey season.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/hunting/seasons-and-bag-limits
Posted By: Clem

Re: SWAG - 07/05/18 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
We are over run with them. My parents are losing about 40 cobs of corn per night for the past 3 nights out of their garden. That's off 2 rows of corn about 50 feet long. I went down there at 10:20 last night with a green light and my 22 and no coons were there yet.

You need help? grin

Re: SWAG - 07/06/18 08:31 PM

Get you about 6 Coon Cuffs (DPs). It may be too late for this year. They need to keep them caught down year round.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: SWAG - 07/07/18 01:52 AM

My boss was whining about how big and accustomed to people they are in Mtn Brook. I pulled a couple DPs out of the Jeep and said these and some mini marshmallows will put a hurt on them. He got spooked when he realized I wasn’t talking catch and release some place else. People think they are cute for some dumb arse reason.

Re: SWAG - 07/08/18 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

You need help? grin

You dang right. If you coon hunt, come on.

Re: SWAG - 07/08/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ElkHunter

Get you about 6 Coon Cuffs (DPs). It may be too late for this year. They need to keep them caught down year round.

I bought 2 yesterday at Guntersville Feed Store. I baited them up last night with "Nibblet" corn. My dad was gonna check them last night. I haven't talked to him yet to see if anything got caught.

I had 4 Duke traps and I can't find them. I don't know what I did with them.

When did they start powder coating them? I like that.

Re: SWAG - 07/08/18 11:44 PM

0-2 in the Duke traps last night. One of them had a little corn gone from it. It's going to be hard to compete with fresh corn on the cob...

I pulled the untouched trap and moved it to a "funnel" and rebaited both traps with marshmallows.

Re: SWAG - 07/09/18 03:12 PM

Well, the marshmallows worked. Caught one something. I’m guessing a big coon. The reason I don’t know what it is, is because it pulled the 18” rebar stake up and toted off the trap.
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: SWAG - 07/09/18 04:07 PM

Fur, get you some chain and a quicklink and chain them to a tree or log.

Re: SWAG - 07/10/18 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by AU coonhunter
Fur, get you some chain and a quicklink and chain them to a tree or log.

That's what I did when I use to trap them before. I'm trying to trap these, in my parents garden. There is nothing to hook them to.

I'll say this. If one pulls up the stakes that I made yesterday, I'm moving to town out of fear of that coon.
Posted By: charlie

Re: SWAG - 07/10/18 12:27 PM

I am sure you have a piece of scrap iron laying around somewhere to chain it to. Hook it to a big ebough piece they can't drag it far and you can place your trap anywhere on their trails.
Posted By: k bush

Re: SWAG - 07/10/18 12:46 PM

Well, the marshmallows worked. Caught one something. I’m guessing a big coon. The reason I don’t know what it is, is because it pulled the 18” rebar stake up and toted off the trap.

Never single stake a DP trap for coon. If you must stake, always cross stake but like Charlie said, a good drag is a better option. I prefer to tie off to trees or large logs when possible.
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: SWAG - 07/10/18 01:50 PM

That's what I did when I use to trap them before. I'm trying to trap these, in my parents garden. There is nothing to hook them to.

I'll say this. If one pulls up the stakes that I made yesterday, I'm moving to town out of fear of that coon.

laugh

Re: SWAG - 07/10/18 01:53 PM

If a coon can pull up the stakes that I made yesterday, then I'm glad they pulled it up. If they didn't and I walked up to it with a 22, I'd likely be mauled to death. I used 1/2 rebar 24" long and welded a 6" wide triangle to the bottom of them. I drove them til the washers I welded on the end were 1" from the ground. I made a swivel collar for the stakes out of 1/8" steel plate, so they can't wrap up anywhere. I couldn't pull one of the stakes up by hand, so ain't no way a coon is gonna pull it up.

Regarding a drag, that's not a good option either. I'm trapping 300 feet from the wood line.

Re: SWAG - 07/10/18 04:44 PM

That should work
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: SWAG - 07/12/18 06:32 PM

Get some of these--> http://www.minntrapprod.com/MB-Chain-Stakes-Original-dozen/productinfo/CSORIG-12/ and pull them up when you are done.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: SWAG - 07/13/18 05:56 AM

I used cheap cat food and had the most sucess

Re: SWAG - 07/22/18 02:13 AM

And the coon trapping is paying off! Just got a report from my uncle that he saw two hens and about 15 poults that were old enough to fly up into some young pines. We took 75+ coons and possums combined from the area last year.

Ready to get back after them as soon as possible.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: SWAG - 07/22/18 11:28 AM

75 wow

Re: SWAG - 07/29/18 10:22 PM

93 hogs
7 coyotes
73 coons
1 possem

So far on the club this year.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM