Aldeer.com

Coon Meat

Posted By: donmelto

Coon Meat - 12/08/17 03:04 AM

Any[b][/b]body out there that likes to eat coon meat?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Coon Meat - 12/08/17 09:54 AM

no
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Coon Meat - 12/08/17 09:31 PM

that's only 2 steps above buzzard. I do remember a friend selling one to somebody in high school though. they seemed happy to get it..... I wouldn't describe them as high class dining types though.
Posted By: WARPhEAGLE

Re: Coon Meat - 12/09/17 09:48 PM

I sampled some at AWF wild game gathering once, not a fan.
Posted By: Brooke

Re: Coon Meat - 02/08/18 01:40 AM

😳🤢
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Coon Meat - 02/08/18 01:51 AM

Had some bbq coon years ago and it was actually pretty good but have had any since
Posted By: Stob

Re: Coon Meat - 02/08/18 02:17 AM

I cleaned one once, going to eat it. That danged ole boar coon smelled horrible.
Never even made one cut on him. Never made it to the kitchen.
Posted By: SurveyinAL

Re: Coon Meat - 02/08/18 02:56 AM

Had a friend of mine make jerky out of one in high school. Everyone loved it, but they didn't know it was raccoon. I did not partake.
Posted By: blade

Re: Coon Meat - 02/08/18 03:23 AM

My aunt used to cook one occasionally with sweet potatoes in the oven. My dad and uncle raved over it, but when asked if we should kill another for them the answer was always no, haha. It was a nostalgia thing for them as they ate them groaning up. I thought it was greasy and so so at best. The potatoes were good. You could certainly eat it if you were hungry.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Coon Meat - 02/08/18 09:44 AM

I've had it cooked several ways. Baked is the most common way it's cooked but I didn't care for it. I've had it made into hash once and it was great but couldn't duplicate it, we tried and the more you'd chew on it the tougher it got.

But yes, there are plenty of people that love eating them. I sale them for $10 each cleaned and can't catch enough to keep up with the demand for them. I have one guy with a standing order for 40 each season!
Posted By: coldtrail

Re: Coon Meat - 02/09/18 02:41 AM

Coon hash and BBQ its not bad.
Posted By: Ru2hunt

Re: Coon Meat - 02/09/18 11:24 AM

If I remember correctly there are some glands that need to be removed on a coon in order to make it good for the table!
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Coon Meat - 02/09/18 03:13 PM

Had it once at a wild game banquet. It was edible, maybe a 4 on the palatability scale, but it beat the possum by a long shot.
Posted By: CAM

Re: Coon Meat - 02/09/18 03:13 PM

Years ago I trapped a little on the side. I grilled a couple of young coons one night, the best I remember it wasn't bad. I haven't had it since but I would without hesitation if things got bad.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Coon Meat - 02/10/18 04:16 AM

Buzzards gotta eat too.
Posted By: countryjwh

Re: Coon Meat - 02/10/18 08:21 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Coon Meat - 02/18/18 05:47 PM

I’ll eat about one every year. Wrapped in bacon, baked in oven. I like the taste. Would eat more if I didn’t have to clean them. Taste similar to sirloin steak.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Coon Meat - 02/18/18 11:25 PM

RiverWood, what's the time and temp on baking? Do you add anything else with it like onions, potatoes and carrots?
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Coon Meat - 02/19/18 03:12 AM

Used to eat them pretty regular growing up. My mother usually put them in a pressure cooker for a bit then finished them off in the oven. I worked south Ga. years ago and frequented a bar that would occasionally serve bbq coon on the weekends.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Coon Meat - 02/19/18 04:31 AM

My Granny grew up in the Depression era and I remember her talking about her daddy eating possum.
“Granny, did you ever eat possum,” I asked.
“No, but I’ve eat the taters around one,” she said.
Ol boy near here grew up pretty hard over in Mississippi. My daddy grew up pretty hard in Virginia. Mississippi told my dad “Don, I have eat baked coon before.”
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Coon Meat - 02/26/18 01:23 AM

My grandpaw use to tell me they tasted strong and rich tasting. And he didnt like it but thats all they had. He hated possum. Said it was so greasy that one bite was all he could take. My buddy cooked a dang coyote i brought him. We skinned it and it looked so skinny. The meat was a beautiful red. He cooked it and it stunk the house up so bad he couldnt even taste it. Said it smelled like an old wet dog. He cried about throwin it away cause he was so tight
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Coon Meat - 03/01/18 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ru2hunt
If I remember correctly there are some glands that need to be removed on a coon in order to make it good for the table!
This is the most important part. I've never eat one, but I have watches several video's on the subject and all say removing those glands are key for the meat to taste good. One friend, just does the tenderloins.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Coon Meat - 03/03/18 12:36 PM

Sorry for slow response, I seldom check the trapping section here. When my wife cooks coon, she just wraps in bacon and bakes it in the oven by itself then serves with side items cooked separately. She doesn’t add onions, carrots or potatoes. If people could get past the stigma that they are eating something they are unfamiliar with I think most people would enjoy the meat. To me it is much better than squirrel and similar to rabbit
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Coon Meat - 03/06/18 02:39 AM

Once I was skinning a coon and I noticed something curved sticking out of its knee, I pulled it out and it was a worm about 6” long and looked like 20lb monofilament. I never wanted to eat one after seeing that.
Posted By: Bamajoz

Re: Coon Meat - 03/12/18 12:51 AM

This is one of those threads you are sorry you clicked on...I don't begrusge anyone for eating them...but I would have to reallly question my dining choices if I sat down to table with coon, possum or yote on it.
Posted By: Limbhanger1959

Re: Coon Meat - 03/12/18 02:42 PM

got to get those glands out. then season him up put in crock pot slow cook him with some onions cut around him, after about 3 hrs put a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce on him. Cook on low for 8 hours, meat will fall off the bone, put on a toasted bun and you will tap your foot while eating it.

Re: Coon Meat - 03/12/18 03:01 PM

What do the glands look like and how big are they? Easily noticeable?
Posted By: charlie

Re: Coon Meat - 03/12/18 05:00 PM

I believe the glands are actually lymph nodes. They are about the size of a pea and look like fatty lumps. I have seen some larger and some really small and some even come off during skinning at least on the rear. There are a couple you tube videos that show them pretty good.
Posted By: Limbhanger1959

Re: Coon Meat - 03/12/18 10:10 PM

the glands are purple or blueish looking
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Coon Meat - 03/13/18 07:16 PM

All we eat is coon meat. We stopped buying beef at the grocery store years ago. wink

Re: Coon Meat - 03/13/18 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270
All we eat is coon meat. We stopped buying beef at the grocery store years ago. wink

I hope you're only taking one or two. No one needs more than that.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Coon Meat - 03/13/18 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Limbhanger1959
got to get those glands out. then season him up put in crock pot slow cook him with some onions cut around him, after about 3 hrs put a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce on him. Cook on low for 8 hours, meat will fall off the bone, put on a toasted bun and you will tap your foot while eating it.

If I have to do that much to make it edible then it wasn't fit to eat to begin with.
Posted By: Bronco 74

Re: Coon Meat - 03/22/18 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
d. My buddy cooked a dang coyote i brought him. We skinned it and it looked so skinny.

Damn buzzard want eat a coyote and you tried ?? Jesus.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Coon Meat - 03/26/18 06:03 PM

Don't know what they taste like but my helper at the farm will come get one in a minute. Caught a couple this trip and the fella was in hog heaven.
Posted By: inatree

Re: Coon Meat - 04/13/18 03:03 AM

I've had it baked a few times. It's not bad at all.
Posted By: 243Win

Re: Coon Meat - 06/16/18 12:06 AM

Ain't never tried it but I've skint alot of them. Meat looks good and I wouldn't think twice if I didn't have anything to eat. But with the dogs I have today I'm thankful for Piggly wiggly lol. These pups have only treed 2 this week for me
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Coon Meat - 06/21/18 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bronco 74
Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
d. My buddy cooked a dang coyote i brought him. We skinned it and it looked so skinny.

Damn buzzard want eat a coyote and you tried ?? Jesus.

Can you not read buddy? I SAID my buddy wanted to try it. He always said to bring him the next one i shot so i did. He was gonna eat it. But it stunk too bad. I wasnt gonna try it. I brought it to him to see if he was serious. He was serious til the smell hit him. Some of yall need 3rd grade reading lessons. slap
Posted By: BC

Re: Coon Meat - 06/22/18 10:59 AM

Nasty
Posted By: Brianmashburn

Re: Coon Meat - 07/31/18 11:45 PM

These guys are right about the glands.... Get glands and all fat off... You can also cut it up and and cover it with a 2 liter coke for 24 hours before cooking.... They stink worse during the rut .. Don't fool with them then.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Coon Meat - 08/18/18 01:39 PM

Growing up a barefooted poacher in South Alabama, I choose Woodpecker over Coon every time. I did find a constant market for coons I trapped or shot though as long as I left a foot on.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM