Aldeer.com

Fox Squirrel

Posted By: Cdub

Fox Squirrel - 11/13/17 12:51 PM

What are your opinions on shooting a fox squirrel? I've noticed a lot of mixed feelings on trying to keep them around.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/13/17 01:08 PM

Shoot them if you want to...
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/13/17 01:25 PM

Why wouldn't you..I see more of them than greys.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/13/17 02:53 PM

Not a problem.

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/13/17 03:26 PM

That's how I feel about them also but it got me to thinking the other day when I was hunting some private property and the older guy said shoot all the greys you want but don't shoot the fox squirrels. When I got out there I saw 1 grey and 6 fox squirrels. I've never seen so many on one piece of property and for that matter with one sit. I know he can do with what he wants with his own property. I just was wondering if there were reasons or opinions other then there's not that many around anymore.
Posted By: Reno

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/13/17 07:04 PM

I run my dog on some private property and the landowner is the same way... He asks that I don't shoot them. He says they are there but I haven't seen one yet
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/13/17 08:34 PM

My grandmother loves them. She thinks they are too pretty to shoot. Id like to have one mounted.
Posted By: blade

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/13/17 09:09 PM

I wouldn’t here only because they are a rarity. Very seldom do u see one. But if they were common, bust em!
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/13/17 09:15 PM

I skwerl hunted the first 20 years of my life and never saw one.
I've seen maybe a few dozen over the past few years and had a thought to shoot one but if anyone wants to that's their business
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/13/17 10:05 PM

I've killed 10-15 over the years. There are some areas that have a lot and some a few and a bunch of land none.
Posted By: oakachoy

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/14/17 01:32 PM

Never seen one in my hardwoods, I understand they are prevalent on the Russell Lands property and saw one crossing hwy 63 into the pines. I think if I do see one here I would opt for a pic since I wouldn't mount it.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/14/17 02:46 PM

i only see them when im on the alabama river. But shoot away they make bootiful mounts
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/14/17 04:32 PM

I never shot any or saw any for 30 years, but the property we bought 4 years ago is loaded with them.

It all depends on where you are hunting I guess.
Posted By: athteach

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/14/17 09:00 PM

We usually don't shoot them because we rarely see them. If we had many of them i wouldn't mind shooting a few of them. We usually leave them just for conservation purposes. Had one guy owned a pecan orchard and fox squirrels were eating all his pecans.He invited us to come hunt and kill all we could kill.
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/14/17 11:52 PM

I seen a couple when I went to choccolocco WMA a couple weeks ago. First ones that I recall seeing since I was a kid. They are beautiful animals. I wouldn't shoot one unless I wanted a mount but I have heard they are good on the grill.

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/15/17 08:53 PM

I have only shot a handful of them in the past. I went through a phase where I didn't see many. I wouldn't go against the property owners wishes and mess our friendship up over a squirrel. I was just curious of everyone else's thoughts. Thanks
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/16/17 10:09 AM

My grandpaw use to see them all the time in new market. I killed one there years ago in a fence row. Havent seen any more and thats been 20 years ago. We always wondered why they died off. I wouldn't have killed that one if i knew at the time. Tasted tougher
Posted By: hunting13

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/17/17 11:53 PM

our place in sumter has more fox squirrels
than we do grey squirrels
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/19/17 05:35 PM

We are covered with them here but I don't shoot them a lot. IMO they taste better than greys because they actually have fat on them. I shot one a good while ago and that sucker had fat rolls on his back. Fine eatin
Posted By: Rip50

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/19/17 09:49 PM

See at least one every time I've climbed this year. Had 4 in the same tree Thursday morning. The 3 chased that 1 the whole time I was in there.. Sounded like a herd of cows running around. Lol
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/26/17 08:49 PM

Redstone Arsenal has enough of 'em to repopulate the rest of the world. There's a lot in some places on Wheeler Refuge too.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/27/17 09:55 AM

Dime a dozen in this part of Mississippi

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/27/17 06:03 PM

It was a fox squirrel orgy at my place Saturday morning. I bet I watched 12-15 in a 1 acre food plot and the surrounding woods chase each other for hours and stop and screw every now and then. It was a ball to watch. I sent my son out there with the pellet rifle the next morning and he only saw one and missed him.
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: Fox Squirrel - 11/28/17 08:07 PM

We got some kinda grey/fox hybrid intermingling going at my grandparents place. Size wise they're inbetweem a fox squirrels and greys, Looks like a huge grey or a small fox squirrel. They're all grey with a red saddle on their back some bark like a grey other bark like a fox squirrel. When they go through the woods you'd swear it was a herd of armidillos had one scare of a fat old doe once after it climbed out on a tiny limb and past the weight limit of the branch and fell off hit the ground like a sack of bricks about 10ft from the doe
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Fox Squirrel - 12/01/17 11:26 AM

I have several fox squirrels that I see 90% of the time when I hunt certain areas of our family property. We're in Lawrence Co. The property has several small creeks running through it and in general is a fairly wet piece of land. I also used to hunt Wheeler Refuge in a lot of the backwater areas and would see fox squirrels a lot in there. It has me wondering if they prefer areas that have a lot of water or near water, anyone ever studied that?

Re: Fox Squirrel - 12/01/17 04:19 PM

From what I have seen is they seem to like areas next to fields or pastures.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Fox Squirrel - 12/01/17 07:20 PM

Yup, they are slow movers and do well near cattle pastures mostly because farmers dont like to do any shooting near their cattle. Fox Rats almost become pasture pets.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Fox Squirrel - 12/01/17 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Thisldu
From what I have seen is they seem to like areas next to fields or pastures.

Yep. They like pecan trees too. We are pretty covered up with them on one place I hunt
© 2024 ALDEER.COM