Aldeer.com

Stretcher boards

Posted By: turkey_killer

Stretcher boards - 11/07/17 04:44 PM

I know our fur is not worth much, but I'd like to try putting a little up so I don't feel like I'm being wasteful. I'd also just like to know how to do it. Anyways, where do y'all get your boards? Homemade?
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Stretcher boards - 11/07/17 04:55 PM

Homemade - dimensions in the PDF

https://www.furharvesters.com/pdf/pelthandling.pdf
Posted By: turkey_killer

Re: Stretcher boards - 11/07/17 05:07 PM

Thank you. Do you use pine or basswood? Hopefully simple tools, I don't have a lot to work with.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Stretcher boards - 11/07/17 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: turkey_killer
I know our fur is not worth much, but I'd like to try putting a little up so I don't feel like I'm being wasteful.

If you don't like being wasteful my advice is to chunck those hides and find something else to spend your time on.

If you were to get REALLY GOOD at skinning, fleshing and drying furs, sold them every season and saved your profits you'd have enough money to take your wife out to eat at McDonald's in a couple 3 or 4 years.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Stretcher boards - 11/08/17 11:59 AM

As North40R stated, there isnt hardly any money in selling furs. I did some as a gift for a friend.

I used some pine to make the board, some thumb tacks, and a 1 Handle Fleshing Tool. I would probably buy a hide next time vs doing it myself.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Stretcher boards - 11/08/17 12:20 PM

Have you guys ever done deer hide?
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Stretcher boards - 11/08/17 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: jono23
Have you guys ever done deer hide?

You talking hair on hide or making buckskin? Hair on would be tough without a machine to thin the hide to make it more pliable.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Stretcher boards - 11/08/17 01:13 PM

Yeah I was wanting to do hair on.
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Stretcher boards - 11/08/17 10:13 PM

I can tan one, it would be ok as a wall hanger or a throw for a couch or bed. Just not garment quality.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM