Aldeer.com

Taking dog on trapline

Posted By: turkey_killer

Taking dog on trapline - 10/21/17 10:21 AM

For those of you who take a dog with you out in the trapline, how do you keep your dog from investigating the sets and getting in your traps?
Posted By: North40R

Re: Taking dog on trapline - 10/21/17 05:58 PM

If they get caught a third time they aren't smart enough to be going with you.

Re: Taking dog on trapline - 10/21/17 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: North40R
If they get caught a third time they aren't smart enough to be going with you.

Haha. Gotcha. I was thinking about getting a cur to hunt squirrels with and thought maybe about taking it with me to check traps. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Re: Taking dog on trapline - 10/21/17 09:31 PM

If you run traps with drags a dog can be a really big help finding your catch. We've used curs and fiest.

Re: Taking dog on trapline - 10/22/17 12:03 PM

A cur is what I'm looking at getting. Do you foresee it messing it up for squirrel hunting or do you feel like they can be useful for multiple things? Didn't know if it should specialize in one thing or if it could be a trapping dog, blood tracking dog, squirrel dog
Posted By: woodsrider

Re: Taking dog on trapline - 10/22/17 12:39 PM

I think that cur lines are hurt more by being 1 dimensional. The best of the best will do several jobs as most have been bred to do more than one job for many years. Time is the biggest factor, getting a cur to make a combination tree dog shouldn't be too difficult. Now the discipline and control that will be needed on a trap line would most likely require a dog that was handled and most likely with you every day. The best curs I've ever seen at multi-tasking were with the owner almost constantly.

Re: Taking dog on trapline - 10/22/17 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: woodsrider
I think that cur lines are hurt more by being 1 dimensional. The best of the best will do several jobs as most have been bred to do more than one job for many years. Time is the biggest factor, getting a cur to make a combination tree dog shouldn't be too difficult. Now the discipline and control that will be needed on a trap line would most likely require a dog that was handled and most likely with you every day. The best curs I've ever seen at multi-tasking were with the owner almost constantly.

Exactly! 100% spot on!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM