Aldeer.com

Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels

Posted By: jono23

Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 09/15/17 05:24 PM

I have some high school students in my ministry that want to experience hunting. I know I'm not so much a pro myself, but I want to be able to take a few out and just enjoy the outdoors and maybe shoot some squirrels. What would be a good place around here to do that?

Planning on doing a range day with a group of them sometime soon just to go over safety and all that. A few them buy licenses and then never go hunt, so I reckon' this would be a good opportunity.

Let me know.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 09/15/17 05:38 PM

You have Cahaba to the Southwest, mulberry fork to the northwest, and the national forest to the east. I would probably go with the national forest.
Posted By: Cdub

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 09/15/17 07:31 PM

👆 I can only vouch for the public land I've hunted which would be cahaba and forest. Back when I hunted the forest there was a decent amount of fox squirrel as well.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 09/23/17 11:58 AM

I bet the Zoo would be a good place to go.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 09/23/17 12:17 PM

Load them up and bring them to duncanville. We will go try to kill some squirrels
Posted By: jono23

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 09/23/17 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
Load them up and bring them to duncanville. We will go try to kill some squirrels

Yeah, I told them I'm sure we could go with you, figured we'd wait till it cooled down a little.
Posted By: Smells

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 10/03/17 10:14 PM

I've hunted Cahaba for the last 3 years (deer, turkey). I remembered thinking the first few times I hunted it "where are all the squirrels?" Then I thought maybe it was because I was hunting in pine trees but as I started hunting more hardwoods it was the same thing. There are some in some areas but very few in my opinion. It's still odd to me how few there seem to be. Maybe someone else would say different but it's like a squirrel dessert compared to other places I've hunted. Heck in the woods behind my house I counted 14 come down out of the same nest one morning. It was like the clown car at the circus, they just kept coming.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 10/05/17 11:51 AM

Yep - there are very few squirrels in the WMA and the TNF near my home. I was there twenty years ago and they were everywhere.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 10/06/17 07:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Geno
Yep - there are very few squirrels in the WMA and the TNF near my home. I was there twenty years ago and they were everywhere.

That damn William. Lol
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 10/06/17 07:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck

That damn William. Lol

Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck

That damn William. Lol

Pretty much 🤣
Posted By: Geno

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 10/13/17 01:17 PM

It's all Tiny. grin
Posted By: dquick1

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 10/17/17 07:26 PM

You can come to my house and get a few. My son hasn't shot any in a few years. There is a good many now. There is a few houses around so you have to pick your shots. 3 squirrel dogs ready to go. They spend all day every day chasing them, and catch about 1 every 2 months.
Posted By: RoadRN

Re: Public Land Around BHAM for Squirrels - 10/30/17 09:00 PM

I've had good luck in the national Forest.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM