Aldeer.com

Question About Hunting Yotes

Posted By: Jack Fate

Question About Hunting Yotes - 04/16/17 03:11 PM

Do any of you hunt coyotes after it starts warming up in the spring/summer? If so is your setup basically the same as in the cooler months? Thanks
Posted By: twistedtines

Re: Question About Hunting Yotes - 04/16/17 04:15 PM

I do occasionally. Setups the same, but I seem to have more luck in the mornings than in the evening. I don't hunt often during mid summer, but I probably kill more dogs in late August through September than any other time of the year. The pups are weaned, out on their own, and dumb as a brick. The females are run down and hungry... I like to use injured pup, and also fawn bawls that time of year. I've killed 3 in a set multiple times, and killed 5 at one time a few years ago.

Re: Question About Hunting Yotes - 04/16/17 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: twistedtines
I do occasionally. Setups the same, but I seem to have more luck in the mornings than in the evening. I don't hunt often during mid summer, but I probably kill more dogs in late August through September than any other time of the year. The pups are weaned, out on their own, and dumb as a brick. The females are run down and hungry... I like to use injured pup, and also fawn bawls that time of year. I've killed 3 in a set multiple times, and killed 5 at one time a few years ago.

Thanks for the tips! What weapon are you using? I've been using a shotgun exclusively. Have only called in one at a time the few times I have been.
Posted By: twistedtines

Re: Question About Hunting Yotes - 04/17/17 09:08 PM

I always shoot a rifle. Either my .222 or a .243... I've wanted to shoot one with a shotgun for years, but just never take one. I'm mainly hunting cow pastures, or crop fields with a little bit of roll. It's hard to get away from having the ability to shoot several hundred yards if necessary. I still end up kicking myself everytime I end up having one run in to 20 or 30 yds though
Posted By: Savage7mm

Re: Question About Hunting Yotes - 05/24/17 05:12 PM

About the only time I go is when our fawns are hitting the ground. The only call I use is a fawn bleat. I know I may not make much of a dent population wise. But in the back of my mind sometimes I wonder just maybe I'm making them leary of coming into a fawn in distress If they see/hear/figure out there buddy got blasted running to it.

Re: Question About Hunting Yotes - 06/08/17 04:46 PM

About the only call this past fall/winter i had luck with was cottontail distress.
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: Question About Hunting Yotes - 06/10/17 11:10 PM

I've done a few sets lately haven't had any luck yet. I've mixed my calling up but haven't broken ice to gain any confidence in any certain sound. Running a convergent bullet electronic call. Its so thick in my areas seems almost impossible.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM