Aldeer.com

Possums vs coons

Posted By: BatesConst

Possums vs coons - 04/11/17 10:08 PM

I'm totally new to this. I have 2 "have a heart" cage traps and 2 z-traps. I've caught 7 possums and 1coon in roughly 2 weeks. The live traps are more productive so far. Is this ratio of possums to coons not high? Or is this about average. I'm using canned cat food for bait.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/12/17 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By: BatesConst
I'm totally new to this. I have 2 "have a heart" cage traps and 2 z-traps. I've caught 7 possums and 1coon in roughly 2 weeks. The live traps are more productive so far. Is this ratio of possums to coons not high? Or is this about average. I'm using canned cat food for bait.

I've gotten just the opposite ratio...way more coons than possums. I think your bait makes a lot of difference. Also, possums seem to be more likely to use a cage trap than a DP. Try some corn in your DP's and see if the coons like it better.
Posted By: charlie

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/12/17 10:57 AM

Bait does make a difference and cage traps catch more possum for me too, but it all depends on where you are and what the population numbers are. In the city I catch more possum than coon by about 3 to 1 but I can only use cage traps in the city limits as well. In dp traps in the woods it is probably 6 to 1 coons to possum in the places I have trapped no matter the bait. Sweet baits will be more likely to catch less possum. I think possum, because they are slower and more scavengers , find the strong fishy baits easier and use their nose more.
Posted By: rst87

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/12/17 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: charlie
Bait does make a difference and cage traps catch more possum for me too, but it all depends on where you are and what the population numbers are. In the city I catch more possum than coon by about 3 to 1 but I can only use cage traps in the city limits as well. In dp traps in the woods it is probably 6 to 1 coons to possum in the places I have trapped no matter the bait. Sweet baits will be more likely to catch less possum. I think possum, because they are slower and more scavengers , find the strong fishy baits easier and use their nose more.

Ive had the same experience
Sardines= higher percentage of possums
honeybuns and oreos or other sweet stuff was alot better for coons
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/12/17 10:57 PM

I use cheap dry cat food in the DP traps and catch a lot more coons
Posted By: mickyblues

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/15/17 09:23 AM

peanut butter catches all the coons you want.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/16/17 09:06 PM

I use sardines in the dogproof traps.

Racoons are 55 to 1 on possums with sardines.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/17/17 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: BOFF

God Bless,
David B.

From the standpoint of nest predator control.....wouldn't we want to catch both coons and possums?

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/17/17 09:04 AM

I think it's irrelevant as the bait. The reason I've caught more raccoons is simply due to my land having more raccoons, and fewer opposums.

And yes, we want to catch both species.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/17/17 09:53 AM

I think it's irrelevant as the bait. The reason I've caught more raccoons is simply due to my land having more raccoons, and fewer opposums.

And yes, we want to catch both species.

God Bless,
David B.

thumbup

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/17/17 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By: CNC

God Bless,
David B.

From the standpoint of nest predator control.....wouldn't we want to catch both coons and possums?
yes probably so. I was coon hunting then and we were wanting them to train dogs.

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/17/17 03:14 PM

Well what do you know.
I caught 2 more coons and 1 possum.

That's 57 coons to 2 possums.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/18/17 10:39 PM

DP traps with canned mackerel we get more coons than possum. Bout a 5 to 1 ratio.

Re: Possums vs coons - 04/19/17 08:46 PM

Well what do you know.
I caught 2 more coons and 1 possum.

That's 57 coons to 2 possums.

God Bless,
David B.
dang y'all have the coons. Just out of curiosity how big of track of land are you catching them on
© 2024 ALDEER.COM