Aldeer.com

Coon bait

Posted By: timbercruiser

Coon bait - 07/21/16 01:54 PM

I know it has probably been ask on here before, but with the Duke type coon trap what is the best bait you can use with one? They are eating my chickens up.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Coon bait - 07/21/16 02:23 PM

Cheap stinky dry cat food or couple of cotton balls soaked in a cheap can of mackerel.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Coon bait - 07/21/16 02:43 PM

We used tuna a couple of weeks ago and caught 8 out of 11 traps. We only set them around a couple of my pig traps. The coons were driving me crazy with pictures coming in all night every night. We caught all 8 of what we thought we had coming. I have 3 more showing up on one of the traps now.
Posted By: cottontop

Re: Coon bait - 07/22/16 12:37 AM

Little Debbie honey bun works real well too!
Posted By: geeb1

Re: Coon bait - 07/22/16 12:37 PM

Marshmallows. Use small one around trap, and use smore type marshmallow inside trap.
Posted By: blade

Re: Coon bait - 07/22/16 08:56 PM

They love cat food.
Posted By: turkey_killer

Re: Coon bait - 07/22/16 09:05 PM

honeybun.
Posted By: CDillard

Re: Coon bait - 07/23/16 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: turkey_killer
honeybun.

#1 Coon Catching Bait for Live Traps for sure!!
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Coon bait - 07/23/16 09:24 PM

Caught one using mustard sardines last night. He took my can of regular sardines with him Thursday night. I wired it to the trap and he gone. My turkey hen can't get a brood cause the damn things. War has begun.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Coon bait - 07/25/16 10:05 AM

I am not trying to promote this product, but I ordered a dozen traps online that came with a free bag of Ausable Coon Chow. It looked and smelled like cat food with some corn mixed in. I also tried cotton balls soaked in fish oil because that was recommended by our area biologist. I would set half the traps with the food and half with the fish oil on the cotton ball. I caught 8 coons with the food and only 1 with a cotton ball. I'm a big believer in the dried food.

I wouldn't use a honey bun or sardines or anything else that would be hard to clean out. Even if the dried cat food gets wet, it can be quickly cleaned out with a stick. It doesn't leave your trap sticky or smelling bad.
Posted By: charlie

Re: Coon bait - 07/25/16 10:54 AM

Unless I am in the city and using a box trap I only use marshmallows in dp traps. I will put a little fish oil around the trap and on the trails to it but not in it. I will put a little lure on the lip of the trap sometimes. Moonshine coon lure is what I used this year and it did well. I use them because they work, easy to carry a bag, easy to clean out, and I seem to catch less possums.
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Coon bait - 07/25/16 09:26 PM

Dry cheap cat food for me
Posted By: Rip50

Re: Coon bait - 07/26/16 04:06 AM

Get you a mason jar.cut marshmallows in small pieces. Pour vanilla flavor over them . We had 10 coons in one trail cam picture in my back yard. Bought one dp trap and had them all caught in a week..
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Coon bait - 07/26/16 05:28 PM

Sardines , potted meat, snickers or just about anything. They eat basically everything u do.
Posted By: mickyblues

Re: Coon bait - 07/27/16 11:46 AM

peanut butter always works
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Coon bait - 07/27/16 01:42 PM

I think small cut up pieces of fish are the all around best, but ants will drive you crazy if you don't put the traps in water.

If you have small streams on your property with small sand bars and stuff, you can keep the ants off by staking the traps in the edge of the water and it will work great.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Coon bait - 07/29/16 07:24 AM

I use sardines in fish oil.

I've used dry cat food, marshmallows, corn, name brand coon lures/baits. All catch coons. But, I keep going back to sardines, as that is what I've always used trapping.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Coon bait - 07/30/16 02:57 PM

Sardines with honey mixed in

Re: Coon bait - 08/08/16 07:37 AM

Finally caught a big boar coon last night, he loved marshmallows. Biggest problem is that the new traps springs are so stiff I had to use channel locks to set the trigger. Is there an easier way to set them by yourself?
Posted By: charlie

Re: Coon bait - 08/08/16 11:18 AM

This is how I set them. You can use a big screwdriver too and lever it down or they make a setting tool. https://youtu.be/GxMHG0b9sbw.

Re: Coon bait - 08/21/16 12:17 PM

Caught another big sow coon last night, miniature marshmallows are a very easy bait.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM