Aldeer.com

Raccoon season

Posted By: BatesConst

Raccoon season - 05/03/16 09:01 PM

This may have already been covered, but, the no closed season on Raccoons the CAB suggested. Has that taken effect or have the legislature voted on it yet or where does that stand for you guys that are in the know?
Posted By: Clem

Re: Raccoon season - 05/03/16 09:37 PM

Good question. It was proposed at the January meeting but I don't remember a resolution.
Posted By: JCL

Re: Raccoon season - 05/04/16 06:55 AM

As of last week no, we had to get a permit at the club to trap raccoons & opossums.
Posted By: Deerslyer86

Re: Raccoon season - 05/20/16 11:38 PM

The season doesn't start until September and it'll never close until they decide to change the law again
Posted By: Crowmthtr

Re: Raccoon season - 05/21/16 09:21 PM

I sure would like to thin out the coons on my lease. I start putting out corn the first weekend in May. Already seeing deer with antler growth hitting my feeders, but also a lot of coons.
On two different cameras, I've got pictures of 6 or 7 at a time. It's like they are having a coon party.

As an after thought, does anyone know of a way to keep them off my feeders?

When coon season opens, I would be open to having a coon hunter come in and help with this problem. I haven't been coon hunting in 45 years, but I still remember the thrill of hearing my dad's dogs get on a trail.
Posted By: Flatrockrunner

Re: Raccoon season - 05/21/16 09:48 PM

I'm not that far. Could come kill some coons out for you. Just give me a call or message me.
Posted By: shooters

Re: Raccoon season - 05/22/16 11:49 AM

I permit, and 1 dozen traps will do lots better than anything else as far as reducing your coon population.
Posted By: CDillard

Re: Raccoon season - 06/11/16 11:58 PM

I normally harvest 3 to 5 coons a hunt with my Triple Grand English Coonhound .

Re: Raccoon season - 06/13/16 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: CDillard
I normally harvest 3 to 5 coons a hunt with my Triple Grand English Coonhound .
where are you hunting at? I ain't seen a dog that can tree 4 coons a night in probably 12-15 yrs and we was hunting in thick thick thick coons. It's a good night for me to tree 2 coons

Re: Raccoon season - 06/13/16 10:22 AM

Treed four the last night we hunted before the season went out. I think the hunt prior to that one we knocked out three.

Re: Raccoon season - 06/13/16 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem

Treed four the last night we hunted before the season went out. I think the hunt prior to that one we knocked out three.
well y'all have better hunting then I do or I just haven't got the dawg power
Posted By: Flatrockrunner

Re: Raccoon season - 06/13/16 08:03 PM

I usually tree two or three in a 2-3 hour hunt.
Posted By: CDillard

Re: Raccoon season - 06/17/16 12:26 AM

I hunt a combination of private land and TVA Public Use land. My old Pride dog is the best I have walked behind in 25 years of coon hunting!!
Posted By: Smells

Re: Raccoon season - 08/27/16 05:55 PM

Never coon hunted before but after getting ratted out last year by a hissing coon while deer hunting, I decided the next one that walks under my bow is going to his Maker.

What exactly do you do with them after you shoot 'em? I'm not really a coon skin cap kinda guy.

Re: Raccoon season - 08/27/16 07:08 PM

They're edible. Skin them, remove the tiny scent glands in the legs, marinate and bake or put in a slow cooker with carrots, celery, onion, taters.
Posted By: Smells

Re: Raccoon season - 08/27/16 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem

They're edible. Skin them, remove the tiny scent glands in the legs, marinate and bake or put in a slow cooker with carrots, celery, onion, taters.

Lol, I'm still trying to bring myself to eat a squirrel (which people say are great when properly prepared and I believe them). Raccoon is pretty far down the list for me. Somewhere south of rattlesnake and north of armadillo.
Posted By: charlie

Re: Raccoon season - 08/27/16 10:55 PM

Once you make it into jerky you can't tell it's not deer.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM