Aldeer.com

New Trapping Tool (Update)

Posted By: bambam32

New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/02/15 09:19 PM

The postman delivered my new cookie cutter trap bedders today for my MB-550's and MB-650's. The idea is to hammer them in and then pull the plug out of the ground. They are 1.5" deep and the bottom has a cutting edge all the way around. I saw these on youtube and I found them at southernsnares.com for $25 each. If you have rocks in your soil, they have a heavier duty model for $35. I'm hoping these will be a big time saver.

Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/02/15 09:24 PM

I'm interested to hear how those work for you.
Posted By: North40R

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/02/15 09:30 PM

I've got so many different kind of traps I'd have to have a truckload of different bedders! Lol!

Hopefully they'll help you out!

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/02/15 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: North40R
I've got so many different kind of traps I'd have to have a truckload of different bedders! Lol!

Hopefully they'll help you out!

I hear ya. They do have ones for other traps. I need all the help I can get.
Posted By: Northbamabucks

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/02/15 11:50 PM

Southern snares Is one of my favorite trapping stores! I ordered some lure from them an received it the next day!
Posted By: Stikman

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/03/15 05:27 PM

I made one of these for my dukes.

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/03/15 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Stikman

How does it work for you? I'm itching to try it out but it'll be two weeks before I can get back to the camp.
Posted By: shooters

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/03/15 06:06 PM

How will it hold up would be my question? In pastured land or sod farm trapping it would be fine , but what about red clay? How will it hold-up setting 40 sets a day in red clay?

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/03/15 07:08 PM

Shooters if I had to make 40 a day in red clay I'd sale every trap I own and start playing golf! Lol! Even worse would be digging finned super stakes out of that mess.

I love them in a sand bed but they will make you loose your religion in clay!

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/03/15 07:31 PM

40 is a long day for sure! Buy I have done it . Not going to lie we are talking day light to dark. Im not as young as i use to be! grin 25-30 is about a normal day for me in red clay. Unless its hot summer time then it maybe less! I pull regular Fox Hollow stakes up with a Toyota 4x4 grin

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/03/15 07:40 PM

I broke a couple chains last year trying to pull mine up with the winch on my ranger. Now if I know I'm in clay I'll run drags. I've caught 3 coyotes in one set with the finned super stakes and could literally dig them up with 3 chops of post hole diggers! They are awesome in sand.

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/03/15 08:42 PM

In the past i have kept 1/2 dozen or so Mb-650s with 18 inch chains for sandy spots, or sand washes on the sides of red clay roads. But I hardly ever go past 12 inchs in red clay with Fox Hollow stakes. IM not lucky enough to get to trap in much sand! grin

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/05/15 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: bambam32
Originally Posted By: Stikman

How does it work for you? I'm itching to try it out but it'll be two weeks before I can get back to the camp.

Works great!!!
I'll try and post a pic
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/05/15 03:36 PM

I'm gonna get one if they have one that will fit a #2 dogless.

That being said... looks like my kid welded that thing together. grin

Wow. Talk about some booger welding.....

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/05/15 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Goatkiller

Im not saying is a bad product, BUT Like GoatKiller said = Look at the welds. After you hammer a few sets in what will happen to those welds???

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/05/15 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: shooters
Originally Posted By: Goatkiller

Im not saying is a bad product, BUT Like GoatKiller said = Look at the welds. After you hammer a few sets in what will happen to those welds???

I'll let you know. I agree the welds are sloppy but that's probably why it's $24.95 and not $100. I've blown a lot more on lures that I never caught anything on. If it just saves a little time and frustration then it'll be worth it to me.

Re: New Trapping Tool - 11/05/15 07:23 PM

Maybe I won't post a pic....
I'm not the best welder but I can make due!!!
I'll get the grinder out before the pics...

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/15/15 12:03 AM

Cookie cutters worked great today. I found that they work better with firm taps rather than pounding on it. Definitely a time saver for me.

MB-550 cutter

MB-650 cutter

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/15/15 08:20 AM

Looks good bambam. Were the sets easy to bed after you put your anchors in?

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/15/15 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: North40R
Looks good bambam. Were the sets easy to bed after you put your anchors in?

Yes. The sides of the bed were complete in less than a minute. All I had to do was make some adjustments to the bottom of the bed.

I dug a hole in the middle for the chain. Scraped out enough underneath so the trap rested on the levers and jaws. Pressed in until the wobble was out. Then hammered the edge of the bed against the jaws and levers. Pressed again. Firmed up the ground around the trap. It was solid. Peat moss between the jaws.

Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/18/15 10:00 AM

I sent them an e-mail to see if they have one that will work with a #2 Dogless.

If not I think I might make one. Just to show off my own Booger Welding skills.

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/18/15 05:00 PM

I would like to see how it works in red clay?

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/20/15 08:48 PM

First set with the cookie cutter.

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/20/15 08:54 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Bow_Hunter_79

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/24/15 05:18 PM

Never trapped anything in my life. Bored at work and came to Aldeer. I see these tools that you guys are talking about and I am wandering, why couldn't you just use a round piece of pipe with a diameter big enough for any of your small traps? I am a fabricator and that's what I see. All you are after is setting the trap below or flush with the dirt line right? so why does it have to be the exact shape? 1 pipe = multiple traps? Again forgive my ignorance like I said I have never been trapping.

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/24/15 05:24 PM

If you can use a piece of pipe I can make all of them you want for 15-20 dollars a piece with a handle to pull them out. I promise they will look way better than that.
Posted By: charlie

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/24/15 05:36 PM

I think the main use for something like this is that it is shaped to the exact dimensions of the trap so that you can bed it in securely with less work. Digging the hole isn't what takes time in setting a trap it is the bedding and packing it tightly in the hole where it is stable and doesn't move if an animal steps on the jaw instead of the pan at first. So with that said, a pipe would only make a round hole and wouldn't work the way these are designed to work.

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 11/24/15 08:01 PM

Ok got ya. Good fit = no movement of the trap.

Re: New Trapping Tool (Update) - 03/06/16 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: bambam32
The postman delivered my new cookie cutter trap bedders today for my MB-550's and MB-650's. The idea is to hammer them in and then pull the plug out of the ground. They are 1.5" deep and the bottom has a cutting edge all the way around. I saw these on youtube and I found them at southernsnares.com for $25 each. If you have rocks in your soil, they have a heavier duty model for $35. I'm hoping these will be a big time saver.

Thought I'd give an update on my cookie cutters. The support bars in the middle bent. I hammered them out and started putting a piece of wood over them. It actually works much better and takes fewer licks to get it in the ground. Less mess and a real time saver in my book.

[img:center][/img]
© 2024 ALDEER.COM