Aldeer.com

Anyone Ever Had This Happen?

Posted By: cgardner

Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 09:46 AM

Happened at DWs shoot yesterday. I was shooting Federals. Opened up this box of Winchesters and this is the first round. The bang was so loud it knocked the earplugs right out of my ears. They're still ringing this morning. Sprayed power residue in my face. Good thing I had my Costas on. It also messed up my primary dove gun. Lucky I had my turkey gun as a backup. The turkey choke helped when they started flying high later in the day!!

Posted By: top cat

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 10:56 AM

A first for me shocked
Posted By: Budworth402

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 11:22 AM

I've never seen a shell do that! Glad you are ok!
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 11:30 AM

Dang man. I didn't realize that. Glad you are ok.. Never seen that before. I would send Email to Winchester..
Posted By: rst87

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 12:54 PM

I have come to conclude that universals are junk
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 01:29 PM

Send an email to winchester with the pics and I bet they at least send you a box of shells.
Posted By: icducks

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 02:24 PM

I would email them. One of the reasons i dont shoot cheaper shells.
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 02:35 PM

I have heard of it happening with older Remington shells. Never with winchester. Glad you are ok.
Posted By: Morris

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: AU coonhunter
Send an email to winchester with the pics and I bet they at least send you a box of shells.

Probably go overboard. That's bad
Posted By: JA

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 03:25 PM

Wow. Glad you are okay. Never had it happen before but I did have a barrel fail once on a brand new Remington 11-87. Barrel bulged right where the choke threads started at the end of the barrel. Remington sent me a brand new barrel.

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 06:31 PM

My brother had this happen a few years ago. Winchester sent him coupons for several hundred worth of ammo. They also paid to have the bad ammo sent back to them.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 07:29 PM

Also a good thing you weren't shooting lefty!
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 08:02 PM

Was the action closed all the way, as in you had to pump it to take this picture, or did it shoot with the bolt in the position pictured?

It looks like it was the later to me, and if so this isn't the fault of the shell.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 08:37 PM

That was a really way overpressure load for some reason. Definitely contact Winchester.

Kinda looks like ht hull wasn't properly constructed.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Remington270
Also a good thing you weren't shooting lefty!

Woulda been bad if it had been me.
Posted By: sluggun

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: cgardner
Happened at DWs shoot yesterday. I was shooting Federals. Opened up this box of Winchesters and this is the first round. The bang was so loud it knocked the earplugs right out of my ears. They're still ringing this morning. Sprayed power residue in my face. Good thing I had my Costas on. It also messed up my primary dove gun. Lucky I had my turkey gun as a backup. The turkey choke helped when they started flying high later in the day!!

From what you are saying the action was not fully closed not the shell it is the guns fault. If action was closed it wouldn't have blow powder in your face or been that loud. If I were you I would try dry firing it with the action open to see if it will fire. I don't know about all pump guns but my 870 will not shoot with the action open. If yours does you should take it to a gunsmith before you get hurt.
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/07/14 10:36 PM

Glad nothing bad came of it..... I shot 4 boxes of Winchesters with no problems.....must've been something weak there.....

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/08/14 06:52 AM

Originally Posted By: sluggun

From what you are saying the action was not fully closed not the shell it is the guns fault. If action was closed it wouldn't have blow powder in your face or been that loud. If I were you I would try dry firing it with the action open to see if it will fire. I don't know about all pump guns but my 870 will not shoot with the action open. If yours does you should take it to a gunsmith before you get hurt.

I did that yesterday. The gun will not fire unless it is fully closed. I sent this pic to a busy of mine and he think it's a problem with the crimping. He says it looks line too much pressure built up and exploded backwards.

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/08/14 08:19 AM

Please be safe and check your gn out thuroughl before this happens again. This would have been way worse with a heavy turkey load of buck shot.

The bolt came open, there is no way the base could have blown out like that if it had stayed closed. It is a matter of physics, the chamber didn't bulge, so what was inside of it can't be bigger around than what it is. Did the wad even make it out of the barrel? From looking at the hull it appears that most of the pressure went out the breech.

I would pull the trigger group out and see what it looks like. The bolt may have been all the way forward when you pulled the trigger, but it didn't fully lock like it is supposed to do to keep this from happening. Excessice crud or wear could cause such to happen.

I personally don't buy into the crimp issue.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/08/14 09:33 AM

Definitely case head separation due to not being in battery. I noticed my 870 was doing that this weekend. I could close the action, and where you would normally have to depress the button to open, mine would open with a little wiggling. Haven't investigated as to why.
Posted By: cj7deerslayer

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/08/14 12:14 PM

That ain't the shells it's your gun. It's firing out of battery. You need to have it run through by a good smith. The shells are fine.

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/08/14 12:45 PM

Just strange that I show 50 rounds of federal shells before this with no problems. This was the first Winchester round from a brand new unopened box.

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/08/14 08:09 PM

See if you can fire your gun without fully closing the chamber. Try it several times in different positions of closing.

If not, it's the shell.

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/08/14 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: cartervj
See if you can fire your gun without fully closing the chamber. Try it several times in different positions of closing.

If not, it's the shell.

Or a bolt that isn't fully locking closed.

That shell expanded to it's size as a result of the bolt being open,or opening when the shell went off, which isn't supposed to happen.

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/08/14 08:29 PM

I came home and tried to see if the gun would fire in several different open positions. It would not. It would only fire after closing the bolt completely. You could hear and feel a definite click when the bolt closed. It would not fire until you heard and felt the click. I talked to my brother today. He had this happen in a 16 gauge auto last summer. The first time it happened, it was when my 10 year old nephew shot it. My brother put in another round (probably not the smartest thing) and it did the same thing. He was shooting the cheap Winchesters as well.

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/08/14 09:00 PM

I came home and tried to see if the gun would fire in several different open positions. It would not. It would only fire after closing the bolt completely. You could hear and feel a definite click when the bolt closed. It would not fire until you heard and felt the click. I talked to my brother today. He had this happen in a 16 gauge auto last summer. The first time it happened, it was when my 10 year old nephew shot it. My brother put in another round (probably not the smartest thing) and it did the same thing. He was shooting the cheap Winchesters as well.

It's your gun, and your call, so if you are convinced it's the shells I wish you the best. I just wanted to make sure you had all the information you need to make your decision and not hurt yourself or others, which I feel I have done. Dropping the trigger group on a Rem 870 is literally a 30 second job and would tell you a lot, and I am sure there are even videos on youtube showing how to do it, but I understand you not wanting to mess with it since you believe it is the shells causing the problem.

I personally don't understand what would make a "cheap" shell cause the bolt to open, but that is just me. Is it the lack of powder? Cheap wad? Aluminum base? Light shot charge? Why wouldn't a good stout loaded shell, operating at a lot higher pressure, cause the same thing to happen?

Good luck and be safe my friend. thumbup
Posted By: sluggun

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/08/14 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny
That shell expanded to it's size as a result of the bolt being open,or opening when the shell went off, which isn't supposed to happen.

This. It nocking your earplugs out was from the blast coming out of the parcially open bolt. That can not happen with the bolt fully closed. The safety mechanism that keeps the gun from firing with the bolt open is a machanical device that can at times fail.

I have experienced this first hand only with a bolt action 243. A friend was putting a shell in the chamber and I was standing on his right. For some reason the gun fired with the bolt about 3/4 closed. It exploded the shell on the back end just about like yours. It felt like someone punched me in the face and the unburned powder made little blood marks all over my face. My ears rang for two days.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/09/14 08:19 PM

I will bet a $100 that she'll was fired out of battery! The tell tell sign is how the metal is pealed back. wink. No way that can happen if the shell is fully in the chamber. It would be impossible. Get that gun checked out BEFORE you shoot it again.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/09/14 09:29 PM

To me, the fact that it was excessively loud and sprayed you with powder is a sign that the action was either partially open or came open upon firing. I don't see any other explanation for those two occurrences.

Maybe it's an issue that can't be recreated without a live shell being fired. I agree that it needs to be taken to a gunsmith before trying to shoot it again with new shells.

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/10/14 08:29 PM

Call Winchester, surely they have more experience to reach a conclusion. They'd be happy that it is the gun and not their shells. Don't shoot the gun until is is checked out.

I know of 3 pumps that would fire upon closing the chamber if the safety was off. 2 are in the river the other I have no clue where it ended up. None of those 3 guns ever had shells blow back and peel apart like the hull you posted.

If it is the gun, i'd bet the chamber was closed enough to let the firing pin hit but not fully closed to lock down upon firing.

I'd contact the gun and the shell manufacturers.
Posted By: Big Buck Video

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/10/14 09:53 PM

I agree. That gun fired out of battery. Get it checked out before you hurt you or someone else!!

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/11/14 06:24 AM

Originally Posted By: cartervj

I know of 3 pumps that would fire upon closing the chamber if the safety was off. 2 are in the river the other I have no clue where it ended up.

Call me before throwing them in the river next time, i'll take them off your hands, and even give you a few bucks for them. rolleyes

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/11/14 11:05 AM

Took it to a gunsmith in Oxford yesterday. Man was in his 80s and seemed to know his stuff. This guy worked for Remington in the past. He played with my gun for probably 15 minutes. He said that the action was not 100% closed when it discharged. He said that he didn't think it was open more than 1/16 of an inch. He said that it looks like my extractor may have worn a little preventing everything from closing 100%. He told me that he would completely tear down the gun and check every part and replace anything that looked suspect. He had enough parts to build probably 20 Remington 870s. Said he would have it back in my hands tomorrow.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/11/14 01:22 PM

Took it to a gunsmith in Oxford yesterday. Man was in his 80s and seemed to know his stuff. This guy worked for Remington in the past. He played with my gun for probably 15 minutes. He said that the action was not 100% closed when it discharged. He said that he didn't think it was open more than 1/16 of an inch. He said that it looks like my extractor may have worn a little preventing everything from closing 100%. He told me that he would completely tear down the gun and check every part and replace anything that looked suspect. He had enough parts to build probably 20 Remington 870s. Said he would have it back in my hands tomorrow.

If it was mr. Wallace Gatlins, you can bank on it bieng right.

Re: Anyone Ever Had This Happen? - 09/11/14 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: daniel white

If it was mr. Wallace Gatlins, you can bank on it bieng right.

That's him!!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM