Aldeer.com

Eufaula refuge duck hunt

Posted By: BearBranch

Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 11/01/23 05:08 PM

One of my son-in-laws got drawn for a hunt in December, blind #6. Any of y’all been and have any pointers?
We see that it’s walk in to the blind, is the water shallow enough to put out decoys, retrieve ducks etc. Or do we need to bring along a small Jon boat?
Any advice is appreciated.
Posted By: JKlep

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 11/01/23 05:52 PM

It has been years since I have been on a hunt there, but it has always been shallow enough to walk to, but you do have to watch out for the occasional beaver run. Most of the time they have those marked with some type of post and marker. I dont think they will allow you to take a boat in there, at least they did not back when I was going pretty regularly. Water around the blinds is shallow enough to put decoys in. Be prepared to be checked while in the blind, and make sure you and the guys stay in the blind to shoot. They dont allow getting out of the blind and setting up against a tree or other cover. Our dogs typically alerted us to someone trying to sneak in on us, which they do. It used to be a 25 shell limit per hunter as well and they will ask about them, especially if you have shot more than a handful of times. But, like I said, it has been years since I have hunted there. I am also a bit leery of the big gators down there now, especially since it never seems to get cold enough for long enough to keep them slumbering.
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 11/01/23 11:20 PM

Went 4 years ago. Be Content with Woodies and Ring-Necks.....and a Bonus Teal. They hadn't planted a Damn' thing that year!!
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 11/03/23 06:22 PM

You just wade out there with your decoys and hunt out of the blind and adhere to the rules.... It's something different to do on a Saturday it will be fun but likely won't be a great shoot. I wouldn't haul 12 doz decoys out there or anything. Keep it simple and having fun sometimes go hand in hand that's the approach I would take.
Posted By: Duck Engr

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 11/08/23 09:51 PM

They used to plant food before the hogs were bad but it's been a decade since I've seen any food planted there. Granted i haven't been as often since i graduated from Auburn. Assuming you're talking about blind 6 on the Alabama side. Blind 6 has not been productive for me when i've hunted it, so be ready and take advantage of shots presented to you. As others said, expect mostly ringnecks out on that side of the refuge. Maybe some teal. I used to take a sled or pirogue to haul gear in but Blind 6 isn't a very long walk from the levee. It's shallow from the levee to the blind. 100 yards or more in front of the blind i think i remember it getting deeper due to a drainage ditch, so may want to take a paddle with your boat in case you sail a bird over the ditch. I think the rule is to no boats with motors. Doubt they'd let you take a trailer back there either as it'd clog up the parking areas, so needs to fit in your truck bed.

Keep expectations low and enjoy your morning. Let us know how it goes.
Posted By: RedneckNinji

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 11/13/23 02:19 AM

Watch for gators there’s some bigguns in that area!
Posted By: Clem

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 11/13/23 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by RedneckNinji
Watch for gators there’s some bigguns in that area!

Definitely. The one in the Witch's Ditch should be pushing 35-40 feet or more by now. It grows a foot every year!

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/24/23 06:10 PM

Had a very enjoyable hunt. Ended up with a nice mixed bag of, shovelers, ring neck, blue wing teal and green wing teal.
We’ll definitely put in for a spot next season. Nice change up from our 90% wood duck hunts down here.

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/24/23 06:11 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BrandonClark

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/24/23 09:11 PM

Looks like you have a hybrid there.
Posted By: 007

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/24/23 11:04 PM

That blue wing is oh so close to full breeding plumage.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/25/23 11:27 PM

Did you see any gators? Man I;ve seen some big uns down there that would scare you.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/26/23 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by BrandonClark

All I see is 3 broad billed shovelers,a blue wing teal, a red head and a green wi g teal. No hybrid.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/26/23 01:40 AM

Heck that’ll work

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/26/23 02:33 AM

I’m no expert but I thought the duck 2nd from left had a wigeon bill and coloration of a green wing. Also appears to be larger than the green wing next to it.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/26/23 06:19 AM

Congrats! That’s awesome!

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/26/23 08:59 AM

I’m no expert but I thought the duck 2nd from left had a wigeon bill and coloration of a green wing. Also appears to be larger than the green wing next to it.

Red head drake. [Linked Image]

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/26/23 02:20 PM

👍👍
Posted By: Overland

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/26/23 03:02 PM

Do you have to have a dog when hunting the Eufaula Refuge or can you retrieve easily without?

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/27/23 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by marshmud991

All I see is 3 broad billed shovelers,a blue wing teal, a red head and a green wi g teal. No hybrid.

I was also thinking hybrid when we picked that duck up. But…when we checked out, they listed it on our harvest record as a hen ring neck.🤷🏼‍♂️

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/27/23 10:25 AM

Any pictures of just that duck?

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/27/23 11:58 AM

Ring neck hen. [Linked Image]
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/27/23 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by marshmud991

Red head drake. [Linked Image]

I thought it was a young Drake redhead.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/28/23 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Overland
Do you have to have a dog when hunting the Eufaula Refuge or can you retrieve easily without?

No you can walk the whole place. Took my dog 2 weeks ago. No gators seen.
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/28/23 11:44 AM

I thought it was a hen ring neck too.

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 12/30/23 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Strictlybow
Originally Posted by Overland

No you can walk the whole place. Took my dog 2 weeks ago. No gators seen.

Yeah, it’s pretty easy wading, bout knee deep. We did run across a couple of little ditches going in before daylight. Just deep enough to get your attention.
Posted By: RedneckNinji

Re: Eufaula refuge duck hunt - 01/03/24 01:57 PM

That’s definitely a hen redhead not a ring neck! I’ve seen they have been doing way better on duck numbers killed this season compared to the last few years!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM