Aldeer.com

Geese

Posted By: twaldrop4

Geese - 10/21/23 11:02 PM

Has anybody else heard/ seen a bunch of specks flying over central Alabama today. I’ve seen at least 10 flocks and a buddy said his cousin saw some in marengo
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Geese - 10/21/23 11:08 PM

Yup. Heard them this morning twice in Shelby county. Odd
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Geese - 10/21/23 11:20 PM

Man I wish I could see some. They get my blood going lol
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Geese - 10/22/23 12:22 AM

Right on schedule. They’ve been flying down and back north about this time for a few years. Snows and blues with some specks will be along on the next cold snap. Been seeing those for 10-15 years now

We were working on a tractor when several groups flew over at some altitude. Had a single actual flying much much lower. If I had water and decoys he’d worked in
Posted By: Dano

Re: Geese - 10/22/23 12:45 AM

Saw one group and heard another right at dark. Snows both times sounded like
Posted By: oldbowhunter

Re: Geese - 10/22/23 01:53 AM

Saw and heard specks today and last weekend in Marengo.
Posted By: Chad Burnette

Re: Geese - 10/22/23 02:32 AM

Heard some flying over the house tonight. Couldn’t see how many, but heard them.

Chad
Posted By: WinstonVizsla

Re: Geese - 10/22/23 04:13 AM

Saw several groups of 100+ specks this afternoon in Shelby county, could hear more coming after it was dark. Was able to get several videos and pictures.
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: Geese - 10/22/23 01:27 PM

Be interesting to know where there first or final stopping area might be. Doubt there's enough waste grain for the specks and rye/wheat sprouts for the Snow's in South alabama to hold them very long.

Re: Geese - 10/22/23 01:44 PM

I’ve been told they’ rarely put down anywhere around here. Just fly south and back north kinda.
I’d guess it’s not far from Arkansas and Missouri.
Posted By: Big Buck Video

Re: Geese - 10/22/23 02:33 PM

Saw them yesterday afternoon in South Tuscaloosa County.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Geese - 10/22/23 09:44 PM

Heard some specs flying over this morning, while sitting in the stand in Jefferson. Couldn’t see them because of the canopy. Thought I was losing my mind.

Re: Geese - 10/23/23 01:56 AM

Friend I hunt arkie with called this afternoon. He saidbeen hearing them for 5-6 days and some snows too. He lives in Holly Springs. Wen to arkie last week and said seen several over there flying high and in a few fields. Water was limited so may be one reason they’re ip and about.
Another friend camped last 2 night sand heard them bothered nights too
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Geese - 10/23/23 02:42 AM

I saw them yesterday morning. They were in the stratosphere
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Geese - 10/23/23 03:10 AM

I saw about 20 or so groups of them fly over south montgomery county yesterday afternoon. All flying northwest. It was pretty weird to be shooting doves in 80 degree weather and it sound like I was in the MS delta

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mully

Re: Geese - 10/23/23 02:48 PM

Saw 6-8 groups Saturday fly over Shorter.
Posted By: jdhunter2011

Re: Geese - 10/23/23 06:27 PM

Heard a bunch Saturday morning in Bankhead
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Geese - 10/24/23 12:59 PM

I heard them Saturday afternoon and is the only time I’ve ever heard them except on tv.
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: Geese - 10/24/23 01:19 PM

It would be interesting to know "WHY" they swing over Alabama when we have very little suitable Food Sources for them.....Plenty of Water though.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: Geese - 10/24/23 01:45 PM

That’s kinda what made me stop and pay attention. No real good reason for a speck to be here
Posted By: buzzard

Re: Geese - 10/24/23 01:53 PM

heard them saturday in Chilton county near the river. Heard 2-3 flocks and sounds like folks all over the state were hearing them.
Must be end times cause there isnt any reason for that many of them to be over central alabama this time of year.
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Geese - 10/24/23 02:23 PM

I have been hearing and seeing them for several years around this time. They were flying East, West and some South.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Geese - 10/24/23 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
It would be interesting to know "WHY" they swing over Alabama when we have very little suitable Food Sources for them.....Plenty of Water though.

I saw probably 500 between Pickens county AL and Lowndes County MS this weekend, all flying North. I was told by an expert that all of these geese overshot their flyaway while riding the jet stream and were headed North to get back on track.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Geese - 10/24/23 05:33 PM

They flew over my stand saturday afternoon twice. Bay Minette. I reckon they saw the Gulf and turned around.

Re: Geese - 10/24/23 10:49 PM

Geese flyways are moving east and duck flyways are moving west for myriad of treasons. I’ve been seeing snows in the NW corner for 20 years hut they rarely put down. I’ve been seeing specks for at least the last 10 years and have killed a few at the farm. I do see an occasional small flock of snows land at the farm. Singles are not out of the norm.

https://www.wildfowlmag.com/editorial/specklebelly-boom/331011

Killed my first snow in the mid 80s in Reynolds swamp.

You can follow Byers on FB and they band and place gps units on ducks and specks. You’d be amazed at their flight patterns.

https://fb.watch/nV12KjSfS_/?mibextid=xXumFJ

My lab loves the sounds of snows and specks. Canadas don’t do anything for him
Posted By: Semo

Re: Geese - 10/25/23 01:14 PM

Last weekend there were many groups heading south. I was brushing blinds/pits in sotherm Illinois.

Just wished they would have stopped. But, who knows where those crazy things will go. These cold fronts this weekend should start pushing in some more... hopefully ducks too. Though our season doeant start until december 2nd.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM