Aldeer.com

Wood Ducks

Posted By: Josh77

Wood Ducks - 12/02/21 11:09 AM

Probably a crazy request but if anyone has a spot to shoot a wood duck, I would not mind tagging along. I am a deer hunter and know nothing about duck hunting. I have always just wanted to have a wood duck mounted. I am a lieutenant at a police department in the Birmingham Metro area so I am very safe and proficient with firearms. You can message me on here or shoot me a text at 205-902-7386

Thank you for time and consideration,
Josh
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Wood Ducks - 12/02/21 01:17 PM

Woodies aren’t really hard to kill. Find a big creek or beaver pond and you will find them pretty easily.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Wood Ducks - 12/03/21 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Woodies aren’t really hard to kill. Find a big creek or beaver pond and you will find them pretty easily.

Agree. Just find where they want to land.
Posted By: Swampdrummin

Re: Wood Ducks - 12/03/21 05:02 AM

I’ll say Turkey and Remington are kinda right; find woodies and they’ll probably be back the next day but it’s still a hard learning curve. I’ll also say that there’s nothing wrong with trying to strike up a new buddy.

I’m in central Mississippi Josh77, hit me up if you’re ever in the area. I’ll show you how to kill them one way or the other. I love to shoot woodies to decoys, returning to favorite hangouts and even by stalk. Most years the weather is such that woodies are all that makes it down so I make hay however which way I have to in order to get some bacon wrapped duck breast. Whoever coined the phrase “shooting ducks on the water/in a barrel” never tried to sneak up on a creek woodie in an oak flat surrounded by dry leaves. Woodies must die.
Posted By: Josh77

Re: Wood Ducks - 12/03/21 07:24 AM

I appreciate the feedback by everyone! We have some woodies at our hunting club but folks would stroke out if I started shooting at ducks during deer season lol. Thank you for the offer as well Swampdrummin! I will shoot you a message.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Wood Ducks - 12/03/21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Josh77
I appreciate the feedback by everyone! We have some woodies at our hunting club but folks would stroke out if I started shooting at ducks during deer season lol. Thank you for the offer as well Swampdrummin! I will shoot you a message.

Shoot em…deer don’t seem to mind it as it sounds like WW3 down around our camp every weekend 😂
Posted By: Razorsharp123

Re: Wood Ducks - 12/03/21 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gobble4me757
Originally Posted by Josh77

Shoot em…deer don’t seem to mind it as it sounds like WW3 down around our camp every weekend 😂

This - I shot two on opening weekend while I could see 3 does. Didn’t seem to bother them at all they just kept feeding.
Posted By: Chickenrig

Re: Wood Ducks - 12/04/21 12:10 AM

42 on the pond tonight
Should be a quick shoot in the Am
Posted By: top cat

Re: Wood Ducks - 12/04/21 12:15 AM

Killed my first one 48 years ago. Still on the wall. Good luck
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: Wood Ducks - 12/04/21 02:22 AM

I’ve shot deer and even a bobcat while hunting wood ducks.
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: Wood Ducks - 12/04/21 02:29 AM

I occasionally see them while walking the creek checking trail cams. I took a shotgun opening weekend and was able to drop a couple after they took off. I have only ever killed them that way. I'd love to go to a legit woodie shoot one of these days.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Wood Ducks - 12/04/21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by AU_trout_bum
I occasionally see them while walking the creek checking trail cams. I took a shotgun opening weekend and was able to drop a couple after they took off. I have only ever killed them that way. I'd love to go to a legit woodie shoot one of these days.

Yeah I always jump shot them when I was young.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM