Aldeer.com

Dove hunting

Posted By: JUGHEAD

Dove hunting - 07/01/21 02:13 AM

Everybody getting their slingshots tuned up since there ain’t any ammo?
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Dove hunting - 07/01/21 04:05 AM

Might have to use a single-shot…
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Dove hunting - 07/01/21 12:44 PM

You can get them hundred packs of universal 7.5s at Walmart now. Just have to put a bigger lead on em lol

Re: Dove hunting - 07/01/21 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyJoe
You can get them hundred packs of universal 7.5s at Walmart now. Just have to put a bigger lead on em lol
Fo real? I haven’t seen any at all.

Re: Dove hunting - 07/01/21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by JUGHEAD

Daphne has had some recently. I picked up some 12 and 20
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Dove hunting - 07/01/21 04:59 PM

You not leading them far enough.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Dove hunting - 07/01/21 09:31 PM

Haven't shot at a dove in 5 years
Posted By: jb20

Re: Dove hunting - 07/03/21 01:16 PM

Oneonta Walmart had em last time I was there
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Dove hunting - 07/03/21 02:21 PM

Take me on a good dove shoot and I will bring shells for both of us. smile
Posted By: blade

Re: Dove hunting - 07/03/21 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

Me too PCP, I happen to have access to plenty of 12 and 20 gauge high brass 8’s and 9’s.🤣🤣

Re: Dove hunting - 07/04/21 11:47 AM

That might not be as desirable a trade as you think it is Mr. Steve. I have 16 & 20 year old sons still on the payroll. And they like to shoot. A LOT. eek
Posted By: oldbowhunter

Re: Dove hunting - 07/06/21 01:49 AM

Need some rain on my sunflowers

[Linked Image]
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Dove hunting - 07/06/21 07:47 PM

If you shoot more than a box of shells to kill a limit you suck 🤣😂
It usually takes me about two boxes! 😅
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Dove hunting - 07/07/21 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by walt4dun
If you shoot more than a box of shells to kill a limit you suck 🤣😂
It usually takes me about two boxes! 😅

It takes me a couple boxes just to get warmed up. Lol
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Dove hunting - 07/07/21 12:51 PM

That might not be as desirable a trade as you think it is Mr. Steve. I have 16 & 20 year old sons still on the payroll. And they like to shoot. A LOT. eek

Well they can't be part of the deal. smile

I've heard enough about your shooting skills to know that you wouldn't need many shells to get a limit, but I also remember what it was like to be 16 and 20. And concern for the number of shells fired was not very high on my list. smile
Posted By: johnmcgowan

Re: Dove hunting - 07/08/21 04:51 AM

Does anyone know what the opening date of dove season is yet?

Re: Dove hunting - 07/09/21 02:35 PM

This year’s North Zone dove season will open on September 5 and run through October 25 for the first segment. Hunters on opening day can hunt from noon until sunset. After opening day, hunting is allowed from one-half hour before sunrise until sunset. The second segment runs November 21-29, and the final segment is set for December 12 through January 10, 2021.

The South Zone season opens on September 12 and runs through November 1. The final two segments mirror the North Zone dates. The daily bag limit is 15 birds of either mourning doves or white-winged doves or a combination of the two.
Posted By: Bama_Bow_Hunter

Re: Dove hunting - 07/10/21 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by oldbowhunter
This year’s North Zone dove season will open on September 5 and run through October 25 for the first segment. Hunters on opening day can hunt from noon until sunset. After opening day, hunting is allowed from one-half hour before sunrise until sunset. The second segment runs November 21-29, and the final segment is set for December 12 through January 10, 2021.

The South Zone season opens on September 12 and runs through November 1. The final two segments mirror the North Zone dates. The daily bag limit is 15 birds of either mourning doves or white-winged doves or a combination of the two.

Sunday openers? Doesn’t seem right...

Re: Dove hunting - 07/10/21 12:53 AM

South zone is Saturday, September 11 at noon
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Dove hunting - 07/10/21 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bama_Bow_Hunter

Sunday openers? Doesn’t seem right...

Dove season has never to my knowledge opened on Sunday. According to Outdoor Alabama app. Dove season opens September 4.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Dove hunting - 07/14/21 01:37 PM

Glad I bought a case of Rios last year.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Dove hunting - 07/15/21 02:32 PM

Last good dove shoot I went on was 2013....I killed 1 shy of what would've been my first limit and burnt up half a box of shells trying to get that last bird, but apparently forgot how to shoot at the end of the day. Prior to that, I was hitting everything I shot at. In fact, now that I think about it, that was really the only good shoot I've ever been on...it's the only time I've killed more than 2-3 birds on a hunt and I've been on several where I never fired a single shot. We did one the following year - 2014 - and didn't have any birds. I believe I killed one bird. Haven't been on dove hunt since.

Seems there's just not nearly as many folks doing them anymore like they used to.

Re: Dove hunting - 07/15/21 10:34 PM

Serious question after reading some of these reply’s. What would you pay for a jam up dove shoot? I’m not talking about being fed a fancy lunch and all that, I’m talking about a dove killing hunt. Past 6-7 years everyone that’s hunted with us (10-15) people has killed their limit (or had an opportunity to kill their limit). I can’t help you shoot 6 boxes and can’t kill 15. Couple hunts a year and some winter hunts as the birds filter back in.
Posted By: YellaLineHunter

Re: Dove hunting - 07/16/21 12:34 AM

50-100. Throw in a good lunch and a gun raffle and you could get 100 easy
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Dove hunting - 07/16/21 12:40 AM

Serious question after reading some of these reply’s. What would you pay for a jam up dove shoot? I’m not talking about being fed a fancy lunch and all that, I’m talking about a dove killing hunt. Past 6-7 years everyone that’s hunted with us (10-15) people has killed their limit (or had an opportunity to kill their limit). I can’t help you shoot 6 boxes and can’t kill 15. Couple hunts a year and some winter hunts as the birds filter back in.

$100 up to 250 if you got the birds. Feed lunch and have stands marked
Posted By: wk2hnt

Re: Dove hunting - 07/16/21 12:42 AM

In today’s economy 50 to 100 will get you most likely on a public land hunt. Preparing a good dove field is expensive if done correctly and getting more expensive by the day. The general opening day tag along with a buddy for a free good time is becoming non existent.

Re: Dove hunting - 07/16/21 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by wk2hnt
In today’s economy 50 to 100 will get you most likely on a public land hunt. Preparing a good dove field is expensive if done correctly and getting more expensive by the day. The general opening day tag along with a buddy for a free good time is becoming non existent.

It is expensive. We have about 4 grand in this field now and that is with us doing all the
tractor work. If you had to pay for the ground prep, planting and spraying by the hour it
would probably double that.

Liability and the headache of a pay hunt would be a nightmare to me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: thayerp81

Re: Dove hunting - 07/16/21 05:14 PM

for a really great dove shoot, I'd pay $150-250

Re: Dove hunting - 07/16/21 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by wk2hnt

It is expensive. We have about 4 grand in this field now and that is with us doing all the
tractor work. If you had to pay for the ground prep, planting and spraying by the hour it
would probably double that.

Liability and the headache of a pay hunt would be a nightmare to me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is a fine looking field!
Posted By: fr8-shkr

Re: Dove hunting - 07/16/21 10:49 PM

I’m trying to build up organic matter in the ground for my greenfields. So I planted sorghum, brown top, and sunflowers. Birds ate well on the sunflower seeds. The rest is coming up pretty well. I’m going to cut strips in it and try to shoot some birds. Overall it’s probably 6 acres planted. This is a half hearted attempt at my first dove field. It’s a side gig for what I hope will be my best greenfields this fall. Generally I have plenty of birds, we will see about mid September.

Re: Dove hunting - 07/16/21 10:57 PM

Last pay-shoot I went to was on a field a few acres larger.There were 36 guns on it…

Re: Dove hunting - 07/16/21 11:46 PM

I'll have plenty of corn but it won't be out any near the opener

Re: Dove hunting - 07/17/21 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bull64
Last pay-shoot I went to was on a field a few acres larger.There were 36 guns on it…

A few acres larger than what?

Re: Dove hunting - 07/17/21 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by fr8-shkr
I’m trying to build up organic matter in the ground for my greenfields. So I planted sorghum, brown top, and sunflowers. Birds ate well on the sunflower seeds. The rest is coming up pretty well. I’m going to cut strips in it and try to shoot some birds. Overall it’s probably 6 acres planted. This is a half hearted attempt at my first dove field. It’s a side gig for what I hope will be my best greenfields this fall. Generally I have plenty of birds, we will see about mid September.

Probably 7-8 acres…
Posted By: Highlander

Re: Dove hunting - 07/18/21 06:27 PM

What 12 gauge loads are you using for Dove?

Re: Dove hunting - 07/18/21 07:58 PM

High brass 7.5s
Remington, federal and fiochi are my top ones I look for

Re: Dove hunting - 07/18/21 08:13 PM

3 1/4 dram powder. 1 1/8oz 7.5 of 6 if it's windy. Been the cause of death of thousands. No high brass needed.

Re: Dove hunting - 07/18/21 10:32 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Dove hunting - 07/19/21 12:51 AM

I just use high brass to get all the help I can get. Lol

Fine looking field of sunflowers!! Ought to be birds all over that when it dries
Posted By: Highlander

Re: Dove hunting - 07/19/21 05:18 PM

Do Doves taste better than Pheasants?

Re: Dove hunting - 07/19/21 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Highlander

Yes
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Dove hunting - 07/19/21 06:03 PM

I've never had pheasant, but dove breast is one of the best wild game meals I've ever eaten.

Re: Dove hunting - 07/19/21 08:46 PM

I’m going with a pheasant breast over a dove any day of the week. Pheasant legs also resemble a rabbit leg more than a bird leg. Was quite intrigued when I cleaned my fist one.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Dove hunting - 07/19/21 09:28 PM

Oh yeah dove is wonderful once you soak it in marinade, wrap it in bacon, stuff it with jalapeños, cream cheese, etc 🤣

My favorite is southern fried dove nuggets

Re: Dove hunting - 07/19/21 09:50 PM

Yes

No
Posted By: JHL

Re: Dove hunting - 07/19/21 09:53 PM

I like both, but I will take fried pheasant breast over dove. Cut in chunks and fry like turkey breast.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Dove hunting - 07/19/21 11:35 PM

https://pheasantsforever.org/BlogLanding/Blogs/Gamebird-Gourmet/Dove-Schnitzels.aspx?feed=articles

You're welcome.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Dove hunting - 07/19/21 11:54 PM

Dove are dark meat and pheasants are pretty much white meat. So it depends if you’re a breast or thigh kinda guy. I prefer dove over pheasant, Chukkar over both of them and ruffed grouse isn’t too shabby depending on what they’ve been eating.

Blue Wing teal breast for the win!!!!!

Re: Dove hunting - 07/20/21 12:46 AM

Both have a distinct taste and ways to be cooked. With dove I like to keep it simple with pheasant I try to do more fancy dishes. Both are damn good.
Posted By: bward85

Re: Dove hunting - 07/20/21 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by JHL
I like both, but I will take fried pheasant breast over dove. Cut in chunks and fry like turkey breast.

Yep
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Dove hunting - 07/20/21 05:32 AM

I prefer pheasant myself.

Re: Dove hunting - 07/20/21 01:50 PM

Honey lemon pheasant breast
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Dove hunting - 07/23/21 02:22 PM

I found a case of cheap 7.5’s the other day so I bought them just in case I couldn’t find anymore between now and September.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sw1002

Re: Dove hunting - 07/24/21 11:38 AM

I like dove and pheasant but neither are in the same league with partridge in my opinion. that is some fine eating.
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: Dove hunting - 07/28/21 01:50 AM

I might have had one good pheasant feeding, but I don’t remember it being better than dove or teal.

As with anything, it’s all in how you cook it. Gotta keep some kind of fat or moisture on wild fowl while you cook it. And cook it slow. As long as you keep those two in mind, it’s hard to mess any of it up.
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Dove hunting - 07/28/21 03:23 AM

A good dove shoot with no meal would be worth at least a couple hundred. I’m talking about a shoot where there aren’t too many guns, and there’s enough birds to expect to have opportunity for reasonable shots, especially after moving around after the hot spot shooters move out the field from their limit.

The management of the shoot is as important as the shoot itself. Keep people moving to get shots, talking with folks to ensure no issues, making sure everyone is safe. No alcohol in the field. No low bird shooters allowed. No “I killed my limit so my 4 year old is gonna kill his with his .410” to hog up the only shade tree on the place.

To me, the property is a considerable piece of the enjoyment as well. Sitting in the middle of uncut cotton to shoot birds feeding in the field next to you ain’t exactly enjoyable.

Re: Dove hunting - 08/02/21 11:47 PM

Was leaving a job site the other day. Two doves were sitting in the road ahead of me. As I got close they flushed. They flew right beside me for almost a mile. I was doing 35. I know they can hit 60 but thought that was cool.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Dove hunting - 08/09/21 06:45 PM

Do y’all grill dove medium rare like you would a wood duck etc, you do you cook them through?
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Dove hunting - 08/09/21 06:50 PM

Most folks will tell you to cook them like you would a wood duck as far as temperature goes. Med/Med. Rare

Re: Dove hunting - 08/10/21 12:05 AM

I think most wild game is best when cooked med rare. Excluding pork and bear
© 2024 ALDEER.COM