Aldeer.com

Duck flying question

Posted By: M48scout

Duck flying question - 01/20/21 04:13 PM

Do ducks only fly when it’s cold and clear out, or will they fly in overcast conditions? Or do weather conditions even matter? Trying to target the remaining days left in season, and I don’t know anything about what influences their movement.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Duck flying question - 01/20/21 04:52 PM

Weather conditions don't dictate how local birds move around from roost to feed to loaf.

Big weather makes birds migrate (warm or cold swings). That is if you are hunting in a flyway.
Posted By: Overland

Re: Duck flying question - 01/20/21 05:02 PM

If you are hunting wood ducks the weather really doesn't matter, they fly most days. The question is what time and where are they going. On clear days they fly earlier and on overcast or light rain days they fly later and by later I mean 10-15 minutes later. If there is heavy rain, you can hang it up at least from my experience.

What influences wood duck movement? Food, habitat and pressure.

Re: Duck flying question - 01/20/21 05:33 PM

Thanks guys, I’m learning.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Duck flying question - 01/20/21 08:41 PM

The best days are sunny blue bird days after a cold front. For a lot of reasons but one of the biggest is they seem to be able to see VERY well in overcast conditions i.e. your decoys are fake and look like it with no sun on the water, they can also see you better, etc.

I usually diver hunt or smaller water fewer decoys and better hiding spots on overcast days.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Duck flying question - 01/20/21 11:18 PM

There used to be a golden rule. Bluebird skies in the timber and rainy cloudy days in the fields.

The last few years that has been out the window.

This year the first rule is you have to have ducks
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Duck flying question - 01/20/21 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
The best days are sunny blue bird days after a cold front. For a lot of reasons but one of the biggest is they seem to be able to see VERY well in overcast conditions i.e. your decoys are fake and look like it with no sun on the water, they can also see you better, etc.

I usually diver hunt or smaller water fewer decoys and better hiding spots on overcast days.

Your face actually shines more on overcast days since the light is pretty evenly spread and like you said.

They seem to respond better to calling on days as you mention.
Posted By: coachg34

Re: Duck flying question - 01/21/21 03:12 AM

Our ducks show up later and in smaller groups on cloudy days , on blue bird days they come early and all together it seems . We shoot ponds so we like cloudy days .

Re: Duck flying question - 01/21/21 04:19 AM

Thank you again fellows, lots of hard earned information
Posted By: Emile

Re: Duck flying question - 01/24/21 03:44 PM

Birds will fly better on clearer days, however in my experience they tend to fly much higher and don’t respond to the calling as much, I have killed way more ducks on overcast days they fly lower and respond to calls better mallards pintail gray ducks will fly high in clear days not so much teal. You will shoot more ducks on overcast days only because it presents you more shot opportunities but will see more on clearer days. Wood ducks in timber DONT matter. Marsh or, open fields give me over cast every day.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM