Aldeer.com

3rd Season Dove Hunting

Posted By: CRBIII

3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/12/20 01:18 PM

Anyone on here hunt late season dove? I've only hunted the 1st season but thought about carrying my son up to Swan Creek over the winter break to see if we could get a few. Just curious, during an average 3rd season, are there many dove around? Thanks
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/13/20 02:51 AM

I’ve hunted them this late on cut ag fields, and fresh planted winter wheat
Posted By: YellaLineHunter

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/13/20 03:17 AM

I’ve had success hunting food sources, and ahead of cold fronts. They don’t seem to hang around so shoot em when you see them.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/13/20 12:39 PM

I saw where cahaba was planting a late field this year. It will be a lot closer for you.
Posted By: blade

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/13/20 01:21 PM

Typically in the lower 1/3 of the state, if u have food, the last season is the best.
Posted By: CRBIII

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/21/20 04:00 AM

Appreciate all the info guys. I'll look into that field out at Cahaba and maybe make a trip to South AL if time permits over the holidays.
Posted By: fi8shmasty

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/21/20 04:23 AM

Do any of you guys shoot the eurasin collard doves?? I've seen them but never shot any.
Posted By: low wall

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/23/20 12:15 AM

They are fairly common now. Most shoots I'm on there will be a few killed. They are an invasive species, so you can shoot all you want whenever you want, but I can't claim to be that good at distinguishing them flying.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/23/20 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by fi8shmasty
Do any of you guys shoot the eurasin collard doves?? I've seen them but never shot any.

Every time. They eat just as good.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/23/20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Originally Posted by fi8shmasty

Every time. They eat just as good.

I'd say better! A little bit bigger, and I think that makes them easier to fry correctly.

If I'm ever sentenced to be executed, and they say I can have whatever I want for my last meal, I'll go for 2 Eurasian doves, 2 mourning doves, and 2 quail. Fried up crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, with mashed potatoes, biscuits, gravy, and purple hull peas. Also want access to a TV and it will take 2 episodes of Wyatt Earp to eat all of it.

smile
Posted By: Remington270

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/24/20 09:16 PM

How are y’all telling the difference in doves in flight? Y’all must have much better vision than me.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/24/20 11:23 PM

Size. Squared tail on ring neck.

Think pigeon for Eurasian.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/25/20 01:28 AM

They’re easy to tell apart in the air. They don’t fly near as hard as mourning doves
Posted By: Swampdrummin

Re: 3rd Season Dove Hunting - 12/25/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Remington270
How are y’all telling the difference in doves in flight? Y’all must have much better vision than me.

After watching mourning doves rocket through a field the Eurasians look like B22s coming in.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM