Aldeer.com

Duck hunting info

Posted By: BayedUp

Duck hunting info - 10/11/20 02:00 AM

I have hunted almost every game animal in Alabama but have never had the desire to hunt a duck. With that being said I know a young boy that is wanting to go Duck hunting and I figured I would take him being I have a lot of wood ducks.

Other than licenses, duck stamps, and Steel shot what do I need to have/know to set us up for success? Lol.

Also what size steel shot is best for wood ducks?
Posted By: icducks

Re: Duck hunting info - 10/11/20 03:09 AM

State and federal duck stamps also gotta get ya HIP. Plugged gun. I like 4 or 6 shot in a 20 gauge.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Duck hunting info - 10/11/20 03:42 AM

Figure out where they are flying to in the mornings (right at daylight or 30 min before)...and set up there. You need few decoys if any at all for wood ducks. They really like acorns so keep that in mind. I wouldn't shoot anything tighter than a modified choke since steel patterns tighter than lead. You don't need calls. When they leave their roost to go feed in the mornings, they are typically on a mission. With that said, it can be tough to make them land anywhere other than where they want to be even with decoys/calls. They are pretty good about swimming to decoys if you are hunting on a larger pond, though. Shooting typically won't be any longer than 20-30 mins.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Duck hunting info - 10/11/20 10:59 AM

Just get some waders, and be standing where they like to land when they wake up. I like to lean against the same tree as whoever I’m hunting with, because there will be low shots. I use #6 shot and an improved cylinder. If you do a little scouting to see where they like to be at daylight, y’all will have a bunch of fun. Good luck!
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Duck hunting info - 10/11/20 02:20 PM

A shoot in a good woody hole might be one of the funnest hunting activities out there. I used to live for hunting flooded timber. Woodys coming in swerving, dipping and diving through tree branches into an area no bigger than a dump truck is pure adrenaline. Use a fairly open choke, 4 or 6 shot should be fine. I got to where I used 2 3/4". Decoys for woodies are more or less a waste. Woodducks go where they want, when they want. Just be where they want.
Posted By: Overland

Re: Duck hunting info - 10/11/20 03:29 PM

As others have said, decoys are hit or miss. Find out where they are going and try to be there early. If hunting a creek, I have found that they like the upper part of a big curve or S turn. Face mask. Be aware of LEGAL shooting hours. 20 gauge 3 inch or 12 gauge 2 3/4 #3 or #4 shot is what I prefer. Don’t over hunt a good spot. I have a spot that produces year after year and I hunt it once over Thanksgiving, once over Christmas and once in January. Wood ducks will respond negatively to pressure.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Duck hunting info - 10/11/20 11:00 PM

All the above and know the shoot will last 30 min max. 😁

Dr. B
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Duck hunting info - 10/12/20 11:31 AM

20 ga with #6 improved cyl choke. Anything heavier you will just destroy the bird. Used to hunt them in my early days and taking my son when he was young. Fast and furious makes for a young person a good trip.
Posted By: fi8shmasty

Re: Duck hunting info - 10/13/20 07:18 AM

Go to Arkansas. Not much here
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Duck hunting info - 10/15/20 04:06 AM

Thanks for the info
© 2024 ALDEER.COM