Aldeer.com

Tundra Swan

Posted By: bigcountry692001

Tundra Swan - 10/05/20 12:49 PM

I dont think Alabama has a season for them but I got drawn for hunt here in NC. Just curious if any of you guys have hunted them out of state or more importantly has anyone ate them, if so, how do they taste?
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/05/20 01:41 PM

I'd guess they taste like a big ole goose

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/05/20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by whack-n-stack
I'd guess they taste like a big ole goose

Thats what I am thinking
Posted By: top cat

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/05/20 02:03 PM

Gotta kill on first

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/05/20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by top cat
Gotta kill on first

Lol yeah that’s a valid point
Posted By: Quack Quack Bang

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/05/20 05:11 PM

Seen them in the wild while out of state. Those things are huge. Wouldn’t want one folded up dropping from the sky and headed for the blind.

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/05/20 05:54 PM

Years ago I was at the taxidermist shop. Ol boy had called and asked I he get a snow goose mounted. Came in with a swan. Funny. He mounted it for him but at his house not his shop. Looked good

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/05/20 08:17 PM

Years ago I was at the taxidermist shop. Ol boy had called and asked I he get a snow goose mounted. Came in with a swan. Funny. He mounted it for him but at his house not his shop. Looked good

Discrete taxidermy

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/05/20 08:33 PM

Sucker was huge
Posted By: wk2hnt

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/06/20 12:54 AM

They are really majestic birds and I never use that term. I’ve seen them up close and from far away in Canada and there is no mistaking what they are. Really big and awesome sight to see. They are normally the last to migrate south and the guys up north know the hunting is about to get great right before freeze up.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/06/20 02:02 AM

We used to see them all the time in Green Bay. The guys there used tundra decoys, PITA to tote and put out but made a big difference as pressured ducks would work better with them. The one thing is so did the swans. Huge is understatement when there over the top of you at less than 10 feet. Cool experience and their little noises they make for their size is kinda weird.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/06/20 02:28 AM

If you want to see a big swan look for a trumpeter they’ll almost look you eye to eye.
Posted By: Dano

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/06/20 08:18 PM

They are huge for sure. Some of my buddies kill them in Montana.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/07/20 03:25 AM

Damn they are bigger than I thought
Posted By: foghorn

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/08/20 01:47 AM

Most of the swan hunting is over on the coast by Lake Mattamuskeet. Always wanted to hunt them when I was growing up in New Bern. Not many chances to hunt them back then.

https://www.visitnc.com/listing/ay7Q/mattamuskeet-national-wildlife-refuge-lake-mattamuskeet

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/08/20 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by foghorn
Most of the swan hunting is over on the coast by Lake Mattamuskeet. Always wanted to hunt them when I was growing up in New Bern. Not many chances to hunt them back then.

https://www.visitnc.com/listing/ay7Q/mattamuskeet-national-wildlife-refuge-lake-mattamuskeet

We are going up Elizabeth city. I’ve never been but my friend goes and says we shouldn’t have any problem getting in them.
Posted By: foghorn

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/11/20 05:58 PM

Used to have friends that hunted them but it was a rich persons hunt LOL
Posted By: CAM

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/12/20 01:57 AM

Good luck and post pics thumbup
Posted By: johnv

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/12/20 03:08 PM

I know a guy that got caught shooting one. They got his truck, gun and boat
Posted By: fi8shmasty

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/13/20 07:14 AM

Carolina,. Think it's too late to get a permit now though
Posted By: Swampdrummin

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/20/20 12:03 AM

You got a number for this guy? Asking for a friend.
Posted By: Bama_Sleeper

Re: Tundra Swan - 10/30/20 12:51 AM

Just got back from North Dakota. Punched my tundra swan tag on my last morning. There are easy to shoot, but very hard to kill!!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM