Aldeer.com

Sesame seed available.

Posted By: North40R

Sesame seed available. - 04/29/20 04:20 PM

Hancock Seed Co. has sesame seed available for the first time in several years. Just got 25lbs in and will hopefully have it planted in the next week or two.
Posted By: joeml18

Re: Sesame seed available. - 04/29/20 09:02 PM

North, have talked to a couple guys in the last few weeks that swear its the best option for dove. What's your thoughts. FYI, for those looking I found some on the WMS website as well.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Sesame seed available. - 04/29/20 10:18 PM

It's the ONLY thing I can plant that the deer won't destroy! They won't eat it.
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: Sesame seed available. - 04/29/20 10:19 PM

Does any seed volunteer back the next growing season?
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Sesame seed available. - 05/01/20 02:26 PM

Yes I’ve had it volunteer.
Posted By: Overland

Re: Sesame seed available. - 05/01/20 03:33 PM

We planted for several years in a row. The amount of seeds that each plant produces is unreal. Not fun bushhogging in the Spring though.

Re: Sesame seed available. - 05/10/20 01:20 PM

How much are you paying for 50#. Wildlife seeds is $250 plus shipping...that's steep.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Sesame seed available. - 05/13/20 12:53 AM

Is this for doves or ducks?

Re: Sesame seed available. - 05/14/20 02:10 PM

doves for me but with that waxy, hard seed coat they may deserve a shot with the ducks
Posted By: Duck Engr

Re: Sesame seed available. - 05/15/20 05:31 PM

Probably a dumb question since I haven’t found anything they won’t eat, but what about hogs? Will they eat it?
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Sesame seed available. - 07/20/20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by North40R
Hancock Seed Co. has sesame seed available for the first time in several years. Just got 25lbs in and will hopefully have it planted in the next week or two.

So how is this field looking? Got any pics? This is one crop I've never even seen growing, but it sounds interesting. Hope you had good luck with it.
Posted By: wk2hnt

Re: Sesame seed available. - 07/20/20 10:46 PM

I planted a bag of sesame this year and it’s doing good but I’ve got some volunteer millet that’s growing up with it. Already showing seed heads with tons of little seeds and about 3.5 tall. Don’t have pictures and not schooled to post if I did. I’m just a spike
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Sesame seed available. - 07/21/20 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by wk2hnt
I planted a bag of sesame this year and it’s doing good but I’ve got some volunteer millet that’s growing up with it. Already showing seed heads with tons of little seeds and about 3.5 tall. Don’t have pictures and not schooled to post if I did. I’m just a spike

So did you broadcast it or plant in rows? I guess you had millet in the field last year?
Posted By: wk2hnt

Re: Sesame seed available. - 07/22/20 12:09 AM

Yes had millet last year and sprayed really well on the strip I planted the sesame in but the volunteer from last year came up. I sowed it with seeder behind a ranger. I keep 15 year strips between everything I plant and always keep a couple freshly disced up all year. On these I feed wild bird feed til the last legal minute then top sow wheat
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: Sesame seed available. - 07/24/20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by North40R

So how is this field looking? Got any pics? This is one crop I've never even seen growing, but it sounds interesting. Hope you had good luck with it.

I planted this section mid May. I row planted some and broadcast some and they both seem to be doing the same.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Sesame seed available. - 07/24/20 10:39 PM

How tall does it get?

Re: Sesame seed available. - 07/24/20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
How tall does it get?

Right now it’s about 4’ tall. I read somewhere it’ll end up being 5’ when mature.
Posted By: canvasback

Re: Sesame seed available. - 07/28/20 01:22 AM

Where on the plant do the seeds form?
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Sesame seed available. - 07/28/20 12:22 PM

very interesting..

Re: Sesame seed available. - 07/28/20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by canvasback
Where on the plant do the seeds form?

In little 1.5” long pods on the stem.

[Linked Image]