Aldeer.com

Kayak for duck hunting

Posted By: 3shotscott

Kayak for duck hunting - 02/02/20 07:17 PM

Getting one this summer just trying to figure out which one to get. I'm leaning toward the h12 just not sure if I want a sit on top. What do yall think and What do yall use?
Posted By: WinstonVizsla

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/02/20 08:04 PM

I have the H10, decided on it over the H12 because I thought it was much more manageable getting off the top of my SUV alone. It’s 55lb vs 76 for the H12. They’re technically hybrids and not sit on top kayaks. Sit on tops have holes through them for water that comes over to drain like the ascend 128T. It’s a good mesh between true sit in and sit on kayaks with a comfortable seat. I snagged a full camo cover for mine at academy that was clearances for $10, not sure if Magellan still makes them but it fits like a glove.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/02/20 08:07 PM

Sounds dangerous to me...
Posted By: Moose24

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/02/20 08:10 PM

As long as you always use it in calm water a sit in is fine but a sit on top would be better if you ever think you'll be getting over the bow or will be in rough water. As for shooting from kayak, a sit in would probably be best as you are sitting at or below the water line so it would be more stable. However, there are plenty of stable sit on top kayaks and probably some not-so-stable sit in yaks. Just do your homework on stability. And remember, if you are stacking a lot gear on top that will make it less stable, higher center of gravity.

What is an H12?

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/03/20 02:30 AM

Ascend h12.
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/06/20 07:03 PM

I'd look into a Jackson Kilroy or something similar.
Posted By: donia

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/06/20 08:27 PM

HERE is an old list, but most links on it are still active. I have a Bobcat Boats Mag I that I have hunted out of (backed up on the bank with camo cover over it). I wouldn't shoot a 3.5 mag left or right while floating, but wouldn't think twice if backed up on the bank with some stability underneath. unfortunately it doesn't have spud holes to keep you stable with floating.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/06/20 11:24 PM

For small waters only. I got one a couple years ago and was using in the Lower Delta
till a combination of strong winds, 3 ft.waves and a strong tide changed my mind one day.
Creeks, Ponds, Flooded timber is where a kayak shines.

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/08/20 03:47 PM

I'm only going to use it for small waters, rivers, timber and claim days open water layout and what not.

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/09/20 10:35 PM

Get one with a comfortable seat. You will be glad you did. Avoid anything where the seat is molded into the kayak. You see that on some sit on top yaks.

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/10/20 03:18 AM

Ended up getting nucanoe frontier 12 today. It's a big boy!! But is the safest out there. Can't wait to take it out and start building a blind for it

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/10/20 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 3shotscott
Ended up getting nucanoe frontier 12 today. It's a big boy!! But is the safest out there. Can't wait to take it out and start building a blind for it

Looks like a solid choice for duck hunting. That open deck space will be great for gear and dead ducks.

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/11/20 01:55 AM

Not many dead ducks if we have another mild winter
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Kayak for duck hunting - 02/11/20 07:21 PM

We kayak to a couple holes but, we don't hunt out of them...
© 2024 ALDEER.COM