Aldeer.com

Anyone done anything in AR?

Posted By: BigCountry062307

Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/12/20 10:03 PM

Anyone had any luck in AR this yr. I have been going for yrs. Had ups and downs. Normally go up after Christmas towards New years but this yr going up mid/late Jan. Headed up towards Wheatley / Brinkley / Wynn areas next weekend. I kill more birds up there then I do here anyways so I always enjoy the trip and make the most of it.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/13/20 01:55 AM

It's patchy. Not like it used to be. Some holes killing em but hard to predict. Good luck.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/13/20 01:59 AM

Numbers are down from what I hear. I have not been but several workers have.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/13/20 02:24 AM

Last week we did ok, but it was definitely lacking in birds. Grubbs and North seemed to have a few, south and east of there was terrible. We only saw birds on that one field that holds all those Shovelers on Hwy 14 from Waldenburg to Harrisburg. Some places were burning it up, we could hear the volleys, seemed to be close to the Cache and on private timber holes best we could tell.

I seen more birds last year in that area. Buddy has had a lease over there since the mid 90's and another Friend grew up in Fair Oaks so I know the area well.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/13/20 03:00 AM

Have heard it’s been rough. Its tough beating an Arkansas timber hunt but I’m beginning to look into other states. Arkansas seems to be a lot of pressure and competition for not many birds these days
Posted By: RedneckNinji

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/13/20 02:17 PM

Bro n law's dad leases two fields west of Wynn and they have absolutely hammered em this year! Limited 9 days in a row after opener, it was so good he stayed out there for Thanksgiving! It has slowed down as normal to a slow grind but 100 times better than anything in alabama has seen this year!
Posted By: Overland

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/13/20 03:56 PM

Have only had one friend have a good hunt over there this year. Between Christmas and NYE, temps in the 60's and they shot a four man limit before 9:00. Had a couple of friends that dropped their long term leases this year. Too much money and the ducks have quit coming in numbers until after the season closes. Winters are too warm.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/13/20 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by PaintRock0
Numbers are down from what I hear. I have not been but several workers have.

seems like this is the answer every year lately.......when was the last time it was "like it used to be"? and what's the reasoning behind the low numbers? Too much water? Not enough ice up north pushing them down?
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/13/20 05:56 PM

Started strong. And stayed pretty good until Christmas. Now the weather is/ has been terrible mid last week thru this week. 3-5" of rain and warm/cloudy weather has the ducks moved out and scattered. Be lucky to see it turn back on this season. Need a major cold front

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/13/20 07:01 PM

Redneck, I talked with my farmer buddy up there and he said the same. They have been doing really well in that area around Wynn also and ok down around Wheatley. Not killin big numbers in Wheatley but doing better then some of his neighbors. It supposed to cool down pretty good sunday so maybe we will do alright. Just looking forward to getting to go.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/13/20 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gobl4me
Started strong. And stayed pretty good until Christmas. Now the weather is/ has been terrible mid last week thru this week. 3-5" of rain and warm/cloudy weather has the ducks moved out and scattered. Be lucky to see it turn back on this season. Need a major cold front

This guy knows I’d listen to him..... He lives there and is in the thick of it as much as he can be and killing ducks!
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/14/20 04:55 PM

A lot of the rivers are out. I know the Black and Cache are flooding. Ducks will be on newly flooded ground and will scatter. The flooded fields were tough this past weekend.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/15/20 01:45 AM

Cold coming late next weekend. Flood stage will still be around, could turn this season into a good one for the last 10 days.

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/15/20 02:31 AM

I'm hoping, the Cache this morning was up 5 foot plus from last week. Foggy is an understatement and very few volleys heard. One group got 4 another group we did't hear from, they were well south of us.

Overheard some guys that's been there since Christmas, one sounded worn and tattered, killed very few ducks. Wouldn't be so bad but they've been really hard at it he was saying.

Seen very very few ducks in the fields we could see, did see a few good size groups of geese next to the road.

Buddy from GB finally is heading to FL, shoveled snow yesterday morning and headed south, winter finally has shown up.

Anyone know what happened at the Grocery store in Harrisburg today, as we were leaving the Police showed up and and took off into the store, hands on holsters.

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/15/20 02:50 AM

Well we are planning on leaving out friday and give it a shot and see what happens. I will give an update. Planning on trying to hunt geese if ducks dont work out for us.

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/17/20 03:10 AM

I've seen some pics from the past few days with good straps of ducks, so who knows. Hopefully y'all will be on the ducks.

happy hunting

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/17/20 05:09 AM

Appreciate it cartervj. Trying to get thru this 12 hr night shift so we can leave out in the morning. Lucky for me I got a driver.
Posted By: specialk

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/17/20 10:08 PM

We just got to Stuttgart. I’m sitting in the parking lot at Mack’s waiting for my brother at the moment. We saw a lot of geese and a pretty decent amount of ducks on the way in. I’m hopeful for the weekend!
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/17/20 10:52 PM

Good luck fellas. Hope y’all kill a strap full.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/18/20 03:26 AM

Keep us updated. You hunting with a guide?

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/18/20 09:55 AM

Sorta, hunting with a farming buddy of mine up around wheatley. Some times he hunts with us and sometimes he just let me go wherever.

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/18/20 11:17 AM

Well couldnt ask for a better first morning. 62 degrees, rain is horizontal to the ground and wind around 40 mph out of the south. Should be almost gone at daybreak if my decoys ain't up in Mizzou by then.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/18/20 12:21 PM

Tomorrow should be better
Posted By: specialk

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/18/20 02:39 PM

We’re hunting some day lease blinds in Tichnor. One hen gadwall so far. We’ve seen a couple other groups but it’s been really slow so far...

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/18/20 07:55 PM

Well, saw a good bit of birds and geese. Ended up with a 2 man limit out of 3 guys. Started slow with all the rain and wind but picked up decent. No complaints so far. Will update again after we try it again in the morning. Hoping this cold snap may stir things up before we get out of here monday midday.

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/19/20 09:59 PM

Saw thousands of birds this morning. Had tons light in the decoys but it was before shooting time. They worked decently this morning. Took 14 birds and several mallards, pigtail and a few teal. Hope we can get several more in the morning before heading back home. I would post some pics but I've never posted any.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/19/20 10:10 PM

I’d like to see those pigtails.

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/19/20 10:15 PM

Yea me too sorry about that. Pintail. Dang spell check
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/19/20 10:16 PM

Lmao. I figured.
Posted By: RedneckNinji

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/20/20 04:14 PM

Glad to hear you had some success. Post some pictures!!!

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/21/20 11:07 PM

We ended up our hunt yesterday morning with a 6 man limit. Had hundreds of bird in the decoys 15 mins till shooting time. We limited out by 7:30. Got back to the truck and shot 3 hogs in the farmers field. It was a good trip overall, especially for someone that only get to duck hunt a few times a yr and as stuff as it is here. We were able to kill several green heads, pintails, teal, wigeon, few gadwalls, and shovelers. Killed around 60 birds in the 3 days we were there. Looks like they were starting to get some new birds with this cold front pushing in.

How can I post pics? Havent ever posted any on the site before.

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 12:53 AM

Go to post image and upload the pictures. After they upload each picture will have a link that says something like “hotlink for forums”. Copy that link for each picture and paste here. Looking forward to seeing them.

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 01:37 AM

That’s awesome Bigcountry. Y’all hit it right.

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 01:46 AM

[Linked Image]post image online

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 01:46 AM

Thanks tbest3 for the help

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 01:47 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 01:50 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 01:51 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 01:52 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 02:09 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 12:51 PM

Nice! Glad y’all found some birds.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 07:13 PM

I like it!! Good mixed bag!

Dr. B
Posted By: RIVER-MAN

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/22/20 11:29 PM

Looks like y'all had great timing . I didn't get to make the trip this weekend but my brother and a friend limited out in Tunica Monday . New birds moving in . Hopefully they will stay around and I'll get a shot at them .

Re: Anyone done anything in AR? - 01/23/20 12:37 AM

Thanks Dr. B. We did have a good hunt and I guess u can say we did time it just right. I wish I could have stayed up there the last 2 days instead of having to come back to the real world of work. As soon as we crossed the line into AL my phone rang, got home dropped my bags, changed into work clothes and kissed momma and the boys and didnt get home till nearly 2 am the next morning.

Hope you have a good trip riverman, if you get to go.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM