Aldeer.com

Black duck

Posted By: tbest3

Black duck - 12/31/19 04:23 AM

So I killed this black duck, he has a little green on both sides of his head. You can see it in the first picture. I didn’t take a picture of the other side of his head but if you zoom in on the second picture you can almost make out the green on that side. He had about the same amount of green on both sides. I sent the biologist pictures and never really got a direct answer on the possibility of it being a hybrid. I sent hevishot some pictures and we talked about it as well. Just curious to see what y’all think.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Black duck - 12/31/19 05:06 AM

Could be. Good haul either way.
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Black duck - 12/31/19 01:06 PM

Damn good strap! I have killed blacks before with a green tint on their head and as big as a Cornish hen. Rare harvest for sure, congrats.

Re: Black duck - 12/31/19 03:03 PM

Killed those birds in the picture plus another mallard Saturday and 2 more blacks, a mallard and 2 wigeon Sunday.
Posted By: WinstonVizsla

Re: Black duck - 12/31/19 05:50 PM

Not a hybrid, just a faint genetic trace. I shot one similar on the crow creek soa hunt two years ago along with a another that had zero green, Blake Wilson mounted them together for me. Black ducks love that area for some reason.
Posted By: Bone spur

Re: Black duck - 12/31/19 08:31 PM

I think I saw both of those birds at Blake’s picking up my pintails.

Re: Black duck - 12/31/19 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by WinstonVizsla
Not a hybrid, just a faint genetic trace. I shot one similar on the crow creek soa hunt two years ago along with a another that had zero green, Blake Wilson mounted them together for me. Black ducks love that area for some reason.

I remember you posting about that hunt but I thought you said that one of the birds you killed was a black/mallard hybrid.
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Black duck - 12/31/19 09:11 PM

Not supposed to be any iridescence on the head of a true black duck. There is a mallard in the wood pile somewhere.

Re: Black duck - 12/31/19 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by tbest3

I remember you posting about that hunt but I thought you said that one of the birds you killed was a black/mallard hybrid.

I thought it was at the time, then when I dropped them off with Blake he said a hybrid is species 1 X species 2, and the one I had was black X black with a mallard in the wood pile. Here is the original thread with pictures of them, middle bird had zero green, bottom one is the one I thought was a hybrid. If I knew how to post pictures I’d upload the mount, he did a great job on them.

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2372823
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: Black duck - 01/01/20 01:12 AM

F2 hybrid

Re: Black duck - 01/01/20 01:17 AM

I thought it was at the time, then when I dropped them off with Blake he said a hybrid is species 1 X species 2, and the one I had was black X black with a mallard in the wood pile. Here is the original thread with pictures of them, middle bird had zero green, bottom one is the one I thought was a hybrid. If I knew how to post pictures I’d upload the mount, he did a great job on them.

So pretty much a bird that is a few generations removed from the mallard involved I guess? I’d love to see pictures of the mount.

Re: Black duck - 01/01/20 03:15 AM

So pretty much a bird that is a few generations removed from the mallard involved I guess? I’d love to see pictures of the mount.

DM me your cell
Posted By: icducks

Re: Black duck - 01/01/20 01:07 PM

Hybrid. All day everyday. A lot of the blacks killed now got a trace of mallard in them. I would say second or third generation hybrid.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Black duck - 01/01/20 08:18 PM

Killed a few that looked like that, back when I was killing black ducks. I don't think I ever killed a true black duck, one without any white on either side of the speculum.

Nice strap by the way!

Re: Black duck - 01/01/20 11:57 PM

This was the strap from Sunday minus one black duck.

[Linked Image]

This was all we managed this morning. Not much but I’ll take it over what we were seeing the first half of the season.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Black duck - 01/02/20 02:28 AM

I'm guessing these aren't Crenshaw County hunts grin? Congrats on some great straps
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Black duck - 01/02/20 02:30 AM

Here is the pair I killed last year that Blake did for me. There is a whole lot going on, and really hard to get a pic that shows it all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Black duck - 01/02/20 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
I'm guessing these aren't Crenshaw County hunts grin? Congrats on some great straps

All Alabama birds. The two gadwall this morning were in Crenshaw though.

Re: Black duck - 01/02/20 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by AU coonhunter
Here is the pair I killed last year that Blake did for me. There is a whole lot going on, and really hard to get a pic that shows it all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have admired this mount since you first posted them on here a year or so ago. I don’t know the Blake Wilson fella but I’d love for him to do my drake and hen.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Black duck - 01/02/20 03:40 AM

My brother killed a hybrid that had a distinct green stripe on its head, I mean like a greenwing teal stripe. I’ll try to stop by his place and get a pic.
Posted By: canvasback

Re: Black duck - 01/04/20 01:49 AM

I don't even know why black ducks are so beautiful to me but dang they are cool ducks!!
Posted By: RedneckNinji

Re: Black duck - 01/06/20 08:14 PM

Not a hybrid/cross
Posted By: Stob

Re: Black duck - 01/07/20 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by AU coonhunter
Not supposed to be any iridescence on the head of a true black duck. There is a mallard in the wood pile somewhere.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM