Aldeer.com

Where to start...

Posted By: jono23

Where to start... - 12/05/19 03:02 AM

Duck hunting is one of those things that I would love to try, and don't know anyone that does it.

Is it possible to shoot some ducks without a boat and all the fancy decoys? Where do ya even start? I have some waders and a shotgun, so I figured that's better than nothing... Find some public land with water on it, get there way early and hope some ducks come in? I read through the scouting thread which got me wondering. I guess TVA land would work around Huntsville, but figured that junk gets hammered.

The way its portrayed by stuff I've read passively is that if you are a newbie or don't know what you're doing, locals will run you off fast. I don't want to be obnoxious or get shot at...but I don't mind putting in some work and trying to figure it out myself with a little direction...

Anyway, as with everything, I'll watch youtube videos and read up online, but always get some advice (whether its good or bad) on here so figured I'd ask.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Where to start... - 12/05/19 12:32 PM

Do you want to duck hunt, or just kill a few ducks?
Posted By: Stob

Re: Where to start... - 12/05/19 12:43 PM

Find you a little spot away from the crowds, even if it just to kill a few Woodies.
Much more enjoyable that way IMO.

Re: Where to start... - 12/05/19 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jlbuc10
Do you want to duck hunt, or just kill a few ducks?

Yeah, I guess there is a difference. Both?
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: Where to start... - 12/05/19 01:37 PM

If there's public land you can walk into, somebody is already there hunting it. If they aren't there when you get there, they just left.

If any of y’all don’t believe me, just pin a $5 bill to a tree and see how long it lasts.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Where to start... - 12/05/19 02:56 PM

I was in the same spot as you several years ago...........really wanted to get into it, but didn't know anyone in my area that hunted. Tried to just "figure it out" solo, but had zero success. The folks in my area that I kinda new that duck hunted were not even remotely willing to show me the ropes or let me tag along. I finally determined that if I wanted to really kill ducks with any consistency, I would need to:

1) get in with some folks that already hunted, and
2) be willing to drive a couple of hours North or 4-6 hours West, and
3) spend a small fortune

Good luck to you. I still would love to give it a try sometime and would if I had buddies here in town that hunted, but I gave up trying to do the self-taught, solo, public land waterfowl thing.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Where to start... - 12/05/19 11:38 PM

Jono, you live in Bham? Just pay a few hundred bucks is Mississippi or Arkansas and do a guided hunt. There’s some woodies in Cahaba WMA, but it’s tough to get on them.

Re: Where to start... - 12/05/19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270
Jono, you live in Bham? Just pay a few hundred bucks is Mississippi or Arkansas and do a guided hunt. There’s some woodies in Cahaba WMA, but it’s tough to get on them.

I do for now; don't have the money for a guided hunt right now but maybe that's something I'll look into for the future. Maybe I'll just go mess around on Cahaba.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Where to start... - 12/06/19 01:16 AM

If you're willing to drive my direction, I’ll be happy to take you one morning.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Where to start... - 12/06/19 02:25 AM

And if you ever come south, welcome to shoot woodies and mergansers with me.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Where to start... - 12/06/19 02:28 AM

Put him on them Hevishot...
Y’all put him on them thumbup
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Where to start... - 12/06/19 02:53 AM

I’d be happy to let you tag along with me one day as well. Looks like you’ve got 3 offers and naturally you’re not very close to any of us.
Posted By: Catfish28

Re: Where to start... - 12/06/19 02:54 PM

What a buddy of mine once said about duck hunting-
“If you want to know what it’s like to duck hunt, just wake up at 2:30 in the morning, turn the shower on cold, get in and cut up $100 bills and watch the pieces flow down the drain”.
It’s not that bad but it’s definitely a labor of love. You gotta be real mad at em.
Posted By: 3shotscott

Re: Where to start... - 12/06/19 03:06 PM

Agreed
© 2024 ALDEER.COM