Aldeer.com

Late season doves - browntop millet?

Posted By: Acorn

Late season doves - browntop millet? - 09/11/19 08:46 PM

Is it too late to plant a late crop of browntop millet in South Baldwin county for late season doves. Would it mature in time? It's about 75 days until thanksgiving.

Also, is it legal to hunt wheat top sewn into a harvested soybean field for a late season food plot? I know the approved planting date for wheat runs through late November.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Late season doves - browntop millet? - 09/11/19 09:36 PM

I called the GW and was told that you can broadcast top sewn wheat but it must be on a prepared seed bed.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Late season doves - browntop millet? - 09/11/19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by muzziehead
I called the GW and was told that you can broadcast top sewn wheat but it must be on a prepared seed bed.

And he’s deadass wrong. It can be topsown into no till cover.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Late season doves - browntop millet? - 09/12/19 12:12 AM

Unfortunately, I have found that some GW’s don’t know what they’re talking about. I was told last year that I had to have my paper harvest record on my person, even though I had the app on my phone.

257 is right, that is normal agriculture practice.
Posted By: Eutaw

Re: Late season doves - browntop millet? - 09/12/19 01:08 AM

(It can be topsown into no till cover.). Does this mean you can no till,then broadcast on top of that and it’s legal?
Posted By: North40R

Re: Late season doves - browntop millet? - 09/12/19 01:19 AM

Yes, you still have time for browntop to mature and yes you can broadcast wheat into a harvested bean field and legally hunt it!
Posted By: Eutaw

Re: Late season doves - browntop millet? - 09/12/19 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by North40R
Yes, you still have time for browntop to mature and yes you can broadcast wheat into a harvested bean field and legally hunt it!

“Into a harvested field”. Okay think I got it now.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM